Jump to content

GETTING to KNOW YOU JULY 2021


Recommended Posts

10 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

QUESTION July 26th.

What is the strangest / coolest animal you have actually petted/held?

the Dolphins at Monkey Mia. 

Beyond that encounter, it's been nothing more than domesticated pets and livestock. 

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 552
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Moderator
15 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

QUESTION July 26th.

What is the strangest / coolest animal you have actually petted/held?

 

Big thanks to @TGP for stepping in for me and also thanks to @Corsair for stepping in for TGP!!!

 

BONUS QUESTION:

Did you miss me?

You're free to say no, if you do, report to the nearest WOOF rehabilitation centre.

A male Siberian Tiger. Those things are absolutely MASSIVE!

 

 

Sorry, I'm going to have to refrain from answering the bonus question; it seems like a trap to me. If I say 'yes', it could be misconstrued as some kind of weird stalker thing. If I say 'no', I'm a heartless jerk. ::P:

 

So instead, I will say that I'm glad you had the opportunity to take a few days to go and relax, and that I'm glad you enjoyed yourself.::):

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/21/2021 at 12:00 AM, Glitterwolf said:

QUESTION July 21th.

What was the best hobby gift your loved ones/friends ever gave you?

And when did they completely misunderstood and gave you a hobby gift you really couldn't use?

 

NOTE:

I'm going on a little vacation this afternoon, will be back on Monday.

During this time the QUESTOR will be our awesome Griffin @TGP!

Thx..

For Christams, when I was about 14, my dad gave me three of the Grenadier chromatic dragons - the red, the white, and the black. I was beside myself. Never did get the red dragon to stay together though (it sits in my 'to repair' box).

 

Can't remember a hobby gift I couldn't use... I have plenty now that I haven;t had time to use ;>

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

QUESTION July 26th.

What is the strangest / coolest animal you have actually petted/held?

 

Big thanks to @TGP for stepping in for me and also thanks to @Corsair for stepping in for TGP!!!

 

BONUS QUESTION:

Did you miss me?

You're free to say no, if you do, report to the nearest WOOF rehabilitation centre.

 

Uh. Well. Lessee. 

I've ridden a camel, and an elephant. Prefer the camel, honestly. I've touched a starfish (sandpapery!) and held more than one snake (if I am absolutely certain it's non-venomous, I will probably catch it for a better look). Locally, that's been garter snakes and rubber boas (yes, real snake). I've also held a ball python. As you might imagine, I like snakes. 😜

I've inadvertently handled a few spiders, although I really, REALLY prefer not to.

I've done the 'cup of juice, feed a bird' thing in some zoo or other; not that great tbh. 

And then there was the week or so when the Anti-DFA netting was catching birds, and I untangled a handful of mourning doves, a couple of my own idiot chickens and one peregrine falcon. All undamaged. That was kind of cool, albeit I needed gloves, an improvised hood and a second set of hands for the falcon. So small! So fierce! So blessedly unhurt! Did bite heck out of my leather gardening glove, though. 

 

Did I miss you? Well .. my aim's improving, so ... 😼

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

QUESTION July 26th.

What is the strangest / coolest animal you have actually petted/held?

 

Big thanks to @TGP for stepping in for me and also thanks to @Corsair for stepping in for TGP!!!

 

BONUS QUESTION:

Did you miss me?

You're free to say no, if you do, report to the nearest WOOF rehabilitation centre.

 

Bonus question first: Of course I missed you! Who else is going to make me jealous of Dutch cookery this week?

 

Actual question:

I basically sat on an anaconda to help it's keepers measure it.

 

If push came to shove, I'm pretty sure it would have held me and not the other way around. Does that still count?

Edited by klarg1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

QUESTION July 26th.

What is the strangest / coolest animal you have actually petted/held?

 

 

Some kind of tarantula. I only petted it, I didn't hold it, although the owner asked me if I'd like to. I don't understand them, so I was worried I would get scared and drop it and hurt it. It was her pet, so I didn't want to do that. It was really soft, like the hair behind Lilly's ears. I was expecting bristly. 

 

My favorite was the ray tank at Sea World California. They had a little cement pool with rays swimming around in it. You could stick your hands in it. I absolutely loved it. They were so tame and curious, they would swim up to your fingers and investigate. I wonder if it's still there, or if someone was mean to the rays and they took it out. I wanted to lay in the tank and play with them. It was in 1998. I still get in trouble for "petting" the koi at the garden centre.   

 

This saturday morning I stopped at the old farm to check on my parents' cat. There was a hawk sitting in the grass by the fence at the end of the driveway. He didn't move when I closed the gates, which was strange. Lilly was barking her head off at it, so I closed the car door and started walking over. Just then, a silage truck from the farm stopped and slammed his door. The hawk flew up to the telephone pole. He said that one of the trucks had hit it, and it had become entangled in the side mirror. The driver rolled down the window and tried to grab it, but the bird was flailing and clawing and biting, so he didn't dare. It managed to free itself, landed on the step to the cab and rode for a bit there, until hopping off on to the lawn. The poor thing flew just fine, but was quite shook up. I thought I would have to catch it and put it in the cat carrier and take it to the bird of prey centre in Red Deer. I can just imagine how well that would go with a caged hawk and German Shepherd in the back of my truck. 

Edited by Great Khan Artist
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Great Khan Artist said:

 

Some kind of tarantula. I only petted it, I didn't hold it, although the owner asked me if I'd like to. I don't understand them, so I was worried I would get scared and drop it and hurt it. It was her pet, so I didn't want to do that. It was really soft, like the hair behind Lilly's ears. I was expecting bristly. 

 

My favorite was the ray tank at Sea World California. They had a little cement pool with rays swimming around in it. You could stick your hands in it. I absolutely loved it. They were so tame and curious, they would swim up to your fingers and investigate. I wonder if it's still there, or if someone was mean to the rays and they took it out. I wanted to lay in the tank and play with them. It was in 1998. I still get in trouble for "petting" the koi at the garden centre.   

 

This saturday morning I stopped at the old farm to check on my parents' cat. There was a hawk sitting in the grass by the fence at the end of the driveway. He didn't move when I closed the gates, which was strange. Lilly was barking her head off at it, so I closed the car door and started walking over. Just then, a silage truck from the farm stopped and slammed his door. The hawk flew up to the telephone pole. He said that one of the trucks had hit it, and it had become entangled in the side mirror. The driver rolled down the window and tried to grab it, but the bird was flailing and clawing and biting, so he didn't dare. It managed to free itself, landed on the step to the cab and rode for a bit there, until hopping off on to the lawn. The poor thing flew just fine, but was quite shook up. I thought I would have to catch it and put it in the cat carrier and take it to the bird of prey centre in Red Deer. I can just imagine how well that would go with a caged hawk and German Shepherd in the back of my truck. 

Oh blip, I totally forgot about the rays at West Edmonton Mall.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

Oh blip, I totally forgot about the rays at West Edmonton Mall.

Wait, we have rays at the mall? O_o

 

Snakes, turtles... A lot of turtles apparently...  Sharks... Fish... I don't see rays listed. 

 

They do have a penguin meet and greet apparently... 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/26/2021 at 2:47 AM, Glitterwolf said:

QUESTION July 26th.

What is the strangest / coolest animal you have actually petted/held?

On the same weekend I met Savannah I also met JJ. I forgot….until just now. 
 

JJ was about 10 feet long (nose to tail), had a wingspan (tip to tip) right at 6 feet, he clocked in at about 1400 pounds. (He was not an airplane…)

 

He was a Longhorn Bull. 
 

He was not the sort of critter meant to be petted or held. But he would let people give him nuggets of cattle feed through a fence. 
 

 

 

10 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question July 27th.

Do you have plants/flowers that you're proud of?

 

Not really. I haz a brown thumb. :upside:
 

Quote

Show pics!

 

There is this one Rose Bush that managed to do some nice blooms this spring. No thanks to anything I did for it. 

42853DB6-84DF-4029-A8AB-F7CBAEAC7596.thumb.jpeg.3c8e43318aa08dfec57f49b32a4e7a02.jpeg

 

There are some nice trees on my place. This is the view looking up at “squirrel haven”:

97F0B0BB-FE0C-4996-A03A-A6D928F43C38.thumb.jpeg.b922145958916feab32656abfe1d421f.jpeg

Edited by TGP
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question July 27th.

Do you have plants/flowers that you're proud of?

Show pics!

Step 1: Get plant. [Processing...]

 

You guys will be waiting a while. Move along.

  • Haha 9
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Moderator
3 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question July 27th.

Do you have plants/flowers that you're proud of?

Show pics!

No, gardening holds no interest for me.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Moderator

The water lilies in my pond, that I managed to keep alive over the winter.

image.png.03963014ec01c63a8ad3e643dabc0d27.png

 

 

My vegetable garden is looking great too this year, but I have no current pictures.

  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question July 27th.

Do you have plants/flowers that you're proud of?

Show pics!

 

No. I have a black thumb. If it is green & living & I touch it, it will wither & die. I admire flowers from a distance.

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...