• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Super Administrators
7 minutes ago, Auberon said:

@Reaper_Jon Who decided to use UPS Ground to ship to PO Boxes?  That doesn't work.

When it comes down the belt for shipping, if we see that it goes to a PO box, then we will ship it USPS, however sometimes they will slip through. In which case you will need to contact UPS and you can change the address for it. Here:https://www.ups.com/us/en/services/tracking/mychoice.page
IF you have received the shipping notification ETC.

30 minutes ago, Reaper_Jon said:

When it comes down the belt for shipping, if we see that it goes to a PO box, then we will ship it USPS, however sometimes they will slip through. In which case you will need to contact UPS and you can change the address for it. Here:https://www.ups.com/us/en/services/tracking/mychoice.page

Unfortunately it's not quite so simple.  When I attempted to use mychoice it informed me that I could not update shipping information until after the first failed delivery attempt.  So I waited for it to fail, but something else happened.  As UPS could not deliver to a PO box they solved the problem by deleting it from the shipping information, leaving just my name, city, state, zip.  The driver then successfully deliver the package.  Where it was delivered without a street address no one seems to know.  The agent I contacted said they would ask the driver.

For my second package, which is currently out for delivery, I got to speak to a human.  UPS has "escalated" and attempted to contact dispatch and the driver before it is successfully delivered to no street address as well. They were also supposed to call me once they contacted the driver, but that has been almost 2 hours and they are still working on it.

So I'll likely have one claim, and maybe a second.

• Sad 5
1 hour ago, Auberon said:

Unfortunately it's not quite so simple.  When I attempted to use mychoice it informed me that I could not update shipping information until after the first failed delivery attempt.  So I waited for it to fail, but something else happened.  As UPS could not deliver to a PO box they solved the problem by deleting it from the shipping information, leaving just my name, city, state, zip.  The driver then successfully deliver the package.  Where it was delivered without a street address no one seems to know.  The agent I contacted said they would ask the driver.

For my second package, which is currently out for delivery, I got to speak to a human.  UPS has "escalated" and attempted to contact dispatch and the driver before it is successfully delivered to no street address as well. They were also supposed to call me once they contacted the driver, but that has been almost 2 hours and they are still working on it.

The change of address attempt appears to have been a failure.  UPS never called back and has already delivered my package to the same mysterious location.  My USPS postmaster was going to ask the UPS delivery man what he was doing with my packages when he dropped off the SurePost pallet. Her lunch break is about over so I'll go find out what she learned.

• Sad 3
54 minutes ago, Auberon said:
2 hours ago, Auberon said:

Expand  Expand  

The change of address attempt appears to have been a failure.  UPS never called back and has already delivered my package to the same mysterious location.  My USPS postmaster was going to ask the UPS delivery man what he was doing with my packages when he dropped off the SurePost pallet. Her lunch break is about over so I'll go find out what she learned.

And the mystery has been solved.  All one needs to do in order to figure out what UPS has done with your package is go through USPS.  So it turns out that when UPS has an address that they cannot ship to their system will make an automatic address correction.  Apparently this consists of pulling a name and using their address.  So my packages have been delivered to another person with the same name in another part of town.  Except my postmaster said, "Wait a minute, I recognize that address. He was in a really bad accident and moved out of state 4 years ago."  Thus UPS does not actually assign a current address, but any one in somewhat recent history.  Their carrier is to attempt to retrieve the packages, but if they are missing my kickstarter shipment will be considered lost.

People wonder why I never chose the UPS shipping option.

• Sad 9
9 hours ago, Reaper_Jon said:

Wait, does this also apply to Canadian orders? I usually always send my Reaper orders to my PO box address but switched back to my home address because it was UPS.

I would much prefer USPS -> Canada Post.

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Like 1
13 hours ago, Auberon said:

And the mystery has been solved.  All one needs to do in order to figure out what UPS has done with your package is go through USPS.  So it turns out that when UPS has an address that they cannot ship to their system will make an automatic address correction.  Apparently this consists of pulling a name and using their address.  So my packages have been delivered to another person with the same name in another part of town.  Except my postmaster said, "Wait a minute, I recognize that address. He was in a really bad accident and moved out of state 4 years ago."  Thus UPS does not actually assign a current address, but any one in somewhat recent history.  Their carrier is to attempt to retrieve the packages, but if they are missing my kickstarter shipment will be considered lost.

People wonder why I never chose the UPS shipping option.

I wonder if, there are regional differences in the software ware Ups uses, because that is really really wierd and not remotely how it works in my area. The system only attempts to auto fix an address when it thinks it can't find the address due to bad zip or mistake in the street name then it tries to find the street that matches the closest. I.e. riverside dr. might attempt at river road. S. shore might go to N. Shore or E. Southshore. ( I do hate that it does this because it is universally incorrect and then wastes the driver's time) PO boxes never do this. They auto flag to be taken to the clerk, because the system cannot find anything close so it can't tell the sorters the truck it goes to. We will then attempt to look up the address or try to get a hold of the receiver. Failing that it's held in the hope that someone is looking for it and contacts us.

Though it's possible that the clerk there messed up. We aren't supposed to make changes base on name alone. We need to be able to find things in the address database that connect the address on the box to the address we think might be good. If I can't, it's better to hold it and hope for contact. Unfortunately I've had to deal with packages sent from other centers with corrections based on head scratchingly tenuous connections. I.e. sending a package across 3 states to an address with only a name in common when there were addresses that were better choices still in the original town. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, EvilJames said:

I wonder if, there are regional differences in the software ware Ups uses, because that is really really wierd and not remotely how it works in my area. The system only attempts to auto fix an address when it thinks it can't find the address due to bad zip or mistake in the street name then it tries to find the street that matches the closest. I.e. riverside dr. might attempt at river road. S. shore might go to N. Shore or E. Southshore. ( I do hate that it does this because it is universally incorrect and then wastes the driver's time) PO boxes never do this. They auto flag to be taken to the clerk, because the system cannot find anything close so it can't tell the sorters the truck it goes to. We will then attempt to look up the address or try to get a hold of the receiver. Failing that it's held in the hope that someone is looking for it and contacts us.

Though it's possible that the clerk there messed up. We aren't supposed to make changes base on name alone. We need to be able to find things in the address database that connect the address on the box to the address we think might be good. If I can't, it's better to hold it and hope for contact. Unfortunately I've had to deal with packages sent from other centers with corrections based on head scratchingly tenuous connections. I.e. sending a package across 3 states to an address with only a name in common when there were addresses that were better choices still in the original town. 

Part of the problem was that tracking did not show me what the address had been corrected to.  Not that it would have mattered for the first package as I would have missed it anyway, but it would have solved the mystery of the second package when my attempt to correct the address failed to go through.

It is also somewhat annoying that the person I would talk with from UPS would say that the local office would call me with an update in the hour, but no one ever did.  The only reason I know what happened is because my USPS postmaster talked to the UPS delivery man. 

• Sad 2
12 hours ago, Auberon said:

Part of the problem was that tracking did not show me what the address had been corrected to.  Not that it would have mattered for the first package as I would have missed it anyway, but it would have solved the mystery of the second package when my attempt to correct the address failed to go through.

It is also somewhat annoying that the person I would talk with from UPS would say that the local office would call me with an update in the hour, but no one ever did.  The only reason I know what happened is because my USPS postmaster talked to the UPS delivery man. 

That is a problem we have as well unfortunately. Communication between the 1 800 number and the centers is poor at best. If you can, try to get the number of the local office. (If there is a Ups Store, they might be able to give it to you.) The clerks can often do things that mychoice and the 1 800 number say they can't  do. (Like correcting an address before it becomes a problem). You should contact them and make sure they change the address to the correct one so that future packages don't get sent to the mistake address.