ChiTuBox Pro = Lock?

So anyone seen any grumbling that the guys who make the hardware for several 3-D printers are going to try and 'lock' users into ChitBox Pro? Could be problematic as it's a yearly sub as opposed to a once and own and it's like three times the annual price of lychee.

• Like 1

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, JoeGKushner said:

So anyone seen any grumbling that the guys who make the hardware for several 3-D printers are going to try and 'lock' users into ChitBox Pro? Could be problematic as it's a yearly sub as opposed to a once and own and it's like three times the annual price of lychee.

Their site still shows the ability to have basic and pro versions, unfortunately I don't have one of the new shiny 8K printers to see what the verbiage is. Would it be in the newly re-released 4K printers? (Maybe I'll open up my saturn and check that haha). I do have an e-mail out to Chitubox asking for clarification on this issue, hopefully I will hear Tuesday.

• Like 2

here is chitubox's reply:

There is a new reply to the ticket you submitted, which needs further processing.

What's new:

Hi Darryl, CHITUBOX Basic will always be FREE and continuously updated (fixing bugs, adding new features) So, you can use the basic version forever. We are willing to support more popular printers in the future.

Currently, some slices cannot print in Chitubox Basic V1.8.1. But don't worry, Chitubox Basic V1.9.0 will be released soon, and this version will have new firmware to support printing. Please stay tuned!

• Like 3

That sounds like hogwash.   

Any FirmWare is in the printers. If the new version of Chitubox comes with new FW, it means they're updating the printers to support Chitubox Basic, not that Chitubox is updated to support the new printers.   

Very few companies can get away with Software Subscriptions. AutoDesk, Microsoft and a couple of Game companies comes to hand. 

And I can say that a lot of the users are grumbling, and would have jumped ship if there was an alternative. 

And that's what can happen in the 3D printing world. There ARE alternatives to the SW, and there are a lot of printers out there. It only takes ONE 4K/8K printer at a decent price that's NOT locked to the Chitubox FW trap to break it all.    

• Thanks 1

And to be completely honest.... Since most of the printers are set up for offline printing anyway (Octoprint servers aside), It's just a matter of someone else releasing a slicer that writes in the right format files. 

Lychee is already a viable alternative to Chitubox.  And with the exploding popularity of resin printers for casual use, I wouldn't be surprised to see several other options coming in the next few years.

I know Prusa has been adding built in profiles for a lot of 3rd party FDM printers.  I'm really hoping to see them start adding in 3rd party resin printers soon....

• Like 2