20210704_161237.thumb.jpg.c7091fe4d9ec88ef464dfa6ddfe2e3cf.jpg

Oh man!  What a HUGE jump forward for me.  I NAILED CONTRAST!

BATTLE REPORT!

Taking another one out of the bin from Bones 4 to prepare myself for the unyielding amount of Bones 5 that I'm hoping will be coming soon, I pulled this guy out.  

Looking at the body type, details and such, I had a relatively close idea in my mind of flesh tone vs. gray fur.  This guy came out way better than I expected.

Wins:

* Starting again with the dry brushing and going with a particular order of operations: Skin, Tail, Fur, Face, Accessories, and Eyes.  It worked spectacularly.  I often find I'm overlapping another area when I'm painting and end up having to fix something.  This dry brush technique allowed for good overlap and less mistakes (or less I could spot).

*  The Skin color of Burnt Red to Buff to Flat Flesh was a solid combo.  I will use this one again.  

*  I then did the fur from Neutral Gray up to Sky Gray and even using a little of the white mixed in to lighten it up near the face and crest of the back. 

*  I learned a new trick thank to Eons of Battle on YouTube about using matte medium to blend in.  HOLY COW!  WORKS LIKE A CHARM!  LOVE this method.

*  Finding the highlights with the drybrush applied and seeing which spots lightened each time helped me identify even better than if I zenithal primed it.  This is wonderful for me as it's been a major challenge.

*  Lastly, the metallics.  I've been making the mistake of laying a full on metallic layer down, then trying to darken it with wash or another color, but again it was dry brush to the win.  Use it to make the transition subtle and then go for brightening it up.  The chain area and pieces on his belt really highlight this effect well.  I've been struggling with dry brushing for a long time, but for some reason all the sudden it just clicked!

Misses:

*  The color on his nails isn't my favorite.  I was going for a "I've been in the sewer for a while" look, but I'm not sure that brown/orange works?

*  Eyes could have been something more.  I just went with black and white dot for gleam, but again, maybe something more yellow and menacing.  They are insanely small and wouldn't have been easy anyway.  

*  The fur color needs something else.  I was thinking to dirty it up (kind of like how I did the rear-end area), but then again I felt if I did it may have taken away from the work rather than added to it.

*  The highlights and contrast are still a new thing for me and in a few spots these are SUPER bold.  I took my time with them, really went slowly and placed them well, but there's still some spots I couldn't gone lighter in.  

*  I may have lost my concentration for a second and overdid the drybrush on the chain at his hip.  Now he's got sparkly fur in a spot, but I went back to hide it.  I'm hoping it stays hidden.  I would hate for the other warerats to go, "Bob, you uh putting on glitter again?"  

*  lastly - the mouth.  I am using this brown/purple/pink combo that I like, but the recesses are really, really dark.  I may need to find a lighter color I can bring that tone up with a bit.  

All in all, this is another really big win for me.  Adjusting to a new means of painting, starting with drybrushing and not leaning on washes is a really big deal.  I had been looking for a pick-me-up in my painting and the Griffon I did last week really launched me in this direction.  Hooray!

20210704_164136.thumb.jpg.32ff366f159e409a29be1012ebbded9d.jpg

20210704_164035.thumb.jpg.680875b89009df9fb127b3b0f2cbaa3b.jpg

20210704_153029.thumb.jpg.7d7f22463e4b4ae9306aec9e7f80e09e.jpg

20210704_153051.thumb.jpg.ba549bde79e62f66a00aeb5c96bd30e6.jpg

20210704_161237.thumb.jpg.c7091fe4d9ec88ef464dfa6ddfe2e3cf.jpg

• Like 19
  • Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never seen a rat so lit and ripped! How much is has he been lifting? But this is really great! I love the colors on this mini, I agree with you on the nails maybe blackish gray with some hints of green might look like he's been through war in the sewers or had some radioactive mutation kind of vibes. 🙂 

Edited by Oblong Yellow
  • Thanks 1

@Oblong Yellowi guess he was picked on in school.  Decided to size up and go for the Mr Universe Wererat edition.  Swol is the goal for this dude. 

Thanks for the input on the nails.  I will add it to colors to try. 

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By R2ED
      This one is coming along nicely. 

A few hours later got some highlights done. Antlers did. Skin on the face touched up.   Beard kind of done. Eyes done...i think? 

Next up will be the mouth and teeth.
      I have no idea what to do with those strange ports on his head behind his eyes. Open for ideas. 

Also struggling with beard and mustache on this guy. 
      Need ideas for his tail color.  As well a need color ideas for spines on his arms and legs.
    • By R2ED
      One of the others I plucked out of the Bones 4 set.  It looked fun, so I grabbed it.

Battle Report!

Wins:
      * Armor was a fun use of blues added in.  I watched Dr. Faust doing something similar to create some really cool effects.  Mine obviously not as good, but I think it was alright.
      * The skin was a big win for me.  I did it as a nice, slow build up and took my time with laying it up.  It worked great on her face.
      *  I was getting lost in the tid bits on her belt, but just used browns and then hlghlighted them up.  It actually worked out pretty well.  Better than I intended.
      *  Cape was a slight win, but not perfect.  
      *  Hair went better this time, but I'm still having a hard time pointing out where the light hights on the curved areas.  

Misses:
      *  NMM on swords.  I tried it again and then failed.  Wiped it out and covered it up with metallic. 
      * Flower should have been left with orange color and white tips, but I went too far by connecting the tips across.  It lost the deail going with more white.  Should have stopped.
      * I started using purple ink to separate the plates, but it just wasn't working.  I think I need to do more blacklining and not worry about adding in colors.  

Overall, she looks good.  The win here was the face and some of the highlights. 

Progress photo (nearly last photo before finishing it off)

• By R2ED
      Tried to keep this in very, very simple colors.  I think he came out okay.  Sometimes simple is good, right?

Battle Report!

Wins:
      * Cape and layers came out well.
      *  Staff shading was good.
      * metal highlights worked out well.  Used an ink wask to fill in the deeper areas and shade and edge highlighted.
      *  brightened the scale mail in the front which I think added a cool effect.

Misses:
      * The staff and bones didn't differentiate enough.  I tried doing a dry brush that failed pretty bad.  Then went back and just did similar tones.
      *  I wanted to have more color in the body, but didn't see how to do it without pulling away from the grimdark look.  Open to suggestions you may have.
      *  Also could have differed the band colors on the staff a bit more.

Open to feedback on this one.  
      I also need some good basing ideas.

• By R2ED
      Got two more nearly done.

I tried do keep the translucent look to the hands.  I love the technique that was shared with me a while back about "priming" these with matte medium to help paint stick to them and not lose that clear look.

Wins:
      * Both hands came out pretty good with easy enough highlighting with dry brushing.
      * The purple was an interesting attempt.  I had actually tried using a purple wash below in the smoke area, but it didn't go well.  Swapped it back to blue.
      *  The purpled did, however keep more of that 'clear' look more than the blue did.  
      * The smoke effects came out great.  I used a blue ink to tint and fill in the deeper areas.  Then drybrushed a prussian blue.  Then lightened it up to a sky blue.  Then finally to white.  Cool effect!

Misses:
      * I wish there was a better way to do the cut-off portion of the wrist on both of these.  They just don't have a lot of interest there with them going from smoke to hand.  I'd love some ideas.
      *  The knuckles on the blue hand was a little too strong.  I think I should have stayed to a lighter blue more than going to a white.  
      *  Maybe should have avoided the edge highlight around the wrist area.

Now, what the heck do I do with these?  I'm going to fill in the stone work below them to have a blue hue to them like they are getting radiant light from the hands, but not sure what else needs to be done?  Interesting and fun!
    • By R2ED
      It's the weekend, and you know what time it is!

Sadly, I've been finishing off quite a few minis for the Bones 5 paint club thing a few of us participate in, but I haven't been posting the work as I finish it.  Thought I'd take a little bit of time to catch up and do some posts on the work.  Obviously, these still need to be based and possibly put into a diorama, but I always find it helpful to share and get your input on what you think, too.  Let's get to it.

BATTLE REPORT!

I wanted to try doing 5 different colors and rock formations with these boulderkin models.  I think it's pretty safe to say I'm venturing away from "realism" and more doing it for the color values.  I learned a lot and enjoyed doing these fun little rock dudes.

Blue:

Wins -
      * Learned that dark to light colors and keeping the blues in the same cool value was a big help.  Often I venture into different shades of blue and don't quite grasp why it looks so weird.  This time I really tried to keep to cool blues and mixing them in to each other so they transition wasn't as stark - I mean, aside from the highlights.
      * Still refining the drybrushing technique and pushing what I can do with it.  There's only so many of those dang Artis Opus videos I can watch without becoming frustrated thinking, "How can I not do this?"  I needed to try and feel the results were decent.
      *  The eyes on him look the most natural of all of them.  Just a simple black dot seems to have worked.  Keeping him looking off-center is the way to go.  Something I woudl learn on the others soon after.

Misses:
      * Using my regular dry palette on this is a mistake with drybrush.  It really needs to be a medium that allows the paint to lose a little moisture.  As long as I move fast, it's not an issue, and I really don't need as much paint as I was putting down.  There's a big win that comes from this when I get to the Red/Yellow boulderkin.
      *  sky blue color may be a bit bold, but still looks good.  

Brown:

Wins - 
      *  The browns look natural enough, but needed to be really pushed for highlight.  Neutral tones seem to need a bit more focus on color value.  
      *  Using a cream color to push up wasn't good enough, so went back to a sky grey and it helped.
      *  Using a nuln oil wash to deepen the cracks worked great.

Misses - 
      * Eyes.  Sucked.
      *  The teeth separation looked a little strange, so I tried to fix this on the Grey boulderkin.

Grey:

Wins - 
      *  Basic rock color palette.  I did try to mix a little warmth of the cream color into this one too, but it didn't work as well.  Covered again with grey - win.
      *  Nuln Oil really helped bring out the cracks.  Then dry brushing over that again was a big win.
      *  Overall the transitions for this guy is pretty tame, but if I were going for just "rock" look it works.

Misses -
      *  The most basic of colors and looks.  I wasn't wow'ed when I finished.
      *  Eyes sucked again.
      *  Drybrushing had a miss with a few spots where I didn't realize the brush was a little damp and streaked some of my work.  

Green:

Wins - 
      *  Changed my palette to a piece of paper to drybrush off of and I was shocked to see how much better I could pull the moisture out and get a good result.  No paper towels were hurt in the making of this model.
      *  Moving much faster on my 3 colors on the palette was a benefit. Having a better understanding of how the colors were working with each other as I stacked them was a big advantage.  
      *  Using my black/green ink wash (Matte medium, Black ink (DR), Green ink (DR), flow improver) really brought out the recesses with very little pooling.  May switch from my nuln oil to this wash mix.  Me likey!

Misses -
      * The color is just not strong enough to represent green, imo.  I tried to lighten it with a different shade of green and may have lost the color I was going for.
      *  The green just doesn't seem to fit?  Maybe I'll cover this guy with some moss and make it look more 'earthy'.
      *  Had a difficult time getting into some of the areas to really drive home the dry brushing.  I'll have to keep that in mind as I work on others that have hard to reach spots.

And finally - my favorite!

Lava:

Wins - 
      *  Going in reverse order on the colors to get a glowing effect was AWESOME!  
      *  Started with a grey primer, layed down a white ink wash to bring out the recess and leave some darker color on the rock, went to yellow dry brush, then used a bright yellow ink wash on the cracks, then to red, then to bright red.  Really helped sell that glowing internally effect.
      *  Areas that somehow didn't have drybrush coat or the grey still showed through, I used the yellow ink wash to go over the missing spots, but it was so nice and tranparent it didn't affect the red tones.  WIN!
      *  Mix for the ink wash:  Yellow DR ink, and a couple of drops of liquitex air brush thinner - big win!  No running, no pooling, and gave the ink enough grab without being watery.  Must do again.
      *  The yellows stayed nice and bright in the cracks with this wash and I can't believe how nicely it went in reverse order light to dark.

Misses -
      *  The eyes yet again sucked.  I was going to leave them a glowing white, but decided to do a red dot.  Miss.
      *  The yellow is pretty hard to work with, so using the white base coat was helpful, but must be vigilant to watch for spots it just didn't coat well.  Two coats or three may be needed.
      *  Mouth feels like it needs something else to it.  I kind of thought about going back and highlighting some of the rocks, but opted not to.  Something is just a little off...

Overall, these three were all done with drybrushing, which I'm learning to LOVE.  I can cover many more models this way and feel like the work is good and if I want to go back and use regular methods to paint them, I can easily do that.  

Let me know what you think and if you have done yours.  

I also need some ideas on how to base these.  I was thinking of doing a fun diorama that had 5 sides and each side had the representing rock carved out where these guys are standing in.  Maybe?

• Who's Online   7 Members, 0 Anonymous, 108 Guests (See full list)