Why are Star Wars model kits so hard to find?

I feel like I can find some ships here and there but I can’t seem to find any figures. And even places like big bay toy store haven’t had any stock in a long time. What’s the deal? I get we went through a pandemic but were they just hit that hard? Or did they stop making them or something? I really want a battle droid and some clones but I can’t find them anywhere.

Also random side question. Does anyone know of a place I could potentially get s Mobdro. ome robotic looking parts that would look like they fit in the Star Wars universe and would fit the 1/12th scale stormtroopers? Preferably that would allow my to just put that arm on instead of the storm tro VidMate oper arm but that I would still have the articulation of the shoulder. Thanks

Edited by PacoBelan
  • Like 2
  • Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

17 minutes ago, PacoBelan said:

I feel like I can find some ships here and there but I can’t seem to find any figures. And even places like big bay toy store haven’t had any stock in a long time. What’s the deal? I get we went through a pandemic but were they just hit that hard? Or did they stop making them or something? I really want a battle droid and some clones but I can’t find them anywhere.

Also random side question. Does anyone know of a place I could potentially get some robotic looking parts that would look like they fit in the Star Wars universe and would fit the 1/12th scale stormtroopers? Preferably that would allow my to just put that arm on instead of the storm trooper arm but that I would still have the articulation of the shoulder. Thanks

Hiya! Welcome to the forum, great bunch around here. On the Legion size minis, try looking for the old SW Minis game figures on fleabay, look for those sold in lots. Same scale and lots of those out there. On the 1:12 stuff, sorry, no idea. Anyway, no matter what @Glitterwolf says, MEOW is in control. [that is when we bother to wake up...]

32 minutes ago, PacoBelan said:

Also random side question. Does anyone know of a place I could potentially get some robotic looking parts that would look like they fit in the Star Wars universe and would fit the 1/12th scale stormtroopers? Preferably that would allow my to just put that arm on instead of the storm trooper arm but that I would still have the articulation of the shoulder. Thanks

Welcome to the Forum.

Maybe @Jasper_the_2nd can help you out here, he's one of the people who collect and play that.

We're a little bit silly sometimes over here, nothing to worry about.

Text in purple is meant as a joke.

As for @Corsair clearly he's mistaken about who calls the shots around here...

Schermafbeelding 2021-07-06 205936.jpg

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Haha 2

Models in general took a uptake during the pandemic. People just kinda went back to older stuff like model making & other at home activities. The kits are out there but you gotta look for them. The Bandai kits are some of the most popular due to being probably the best kits out there, + they've been out for quite awhile, if IIRC they were first released when Episode 1 was released into theaters (not the 3d abomination), so it might just they are getting harder to find due to age of the product. Certain kits like X-wings & the Falcon will probably always been available due to their popularity. I know Hobby Lobby has a few SW kits but it's not the greatest selection. Luckily, I was able to replace a Death Star II kit with anther at a discount price.

You might find some kits at the Asian hobby store sites like Hobby Search, Hobby Link Japan or other reputable retail sites. Good luck!!

My post got me looking at Hobby Search, while this isn't a model kit (I wish it was!!), this is kinda cute:

10796509a.jpg

10796509a4.jpg

Also I did see on Culttvmanshop (anther site to check for sci-fi kits!! (this site has a bunch, you find what you are looking for)) that the model companies are releasing Mandalorian based kits like Mando & Grogu(baby yoda) & even the Razor Crest!! (reminds me I need to place a preorder with my local model shop). Both AMT & Bandai are releasing kits. Also AMT (Round 2 actually) is re-releasing the old MPC Star Wars kits but with updated parts like smaller side walls on the Falcon & other stuff.

• Like 3

With the 1/12 figures as well as 1/48 and 1/72 models, part of it is that Bandai does rotating restock of the kits.  There's also a rather large uptick in demand over the past year as people have found themselves with more free time, and so models that used to sit on shelves for a while are now suddenly selling out quickly, sometimes within hours of a restock. 

As best I can remember, the most recent restock for Star Wars revolved around movies 7-9, so featured the First Order a fair bit, and there are a few kits related to The Mandalorian coming out in a few months (Aug-Sept timeframe I think).  More than likely, if you want one of those, you'll want to pre-order it simply due to the sheer demand. 

With regards to other sites, Hobby Link Japan and Hobby Search tend to be good places, but I suspect most kits will show as backordered or "reservations closed" - never hurts to look though, or get onto an email notification list. 

Sprue Brothers seems to have a good amount of stock for various kits, but I tend not to look at most of the US based ones myself since I'm in Canada, and shipping gets expensive fast. 

• Like 1