Character 'looks'

Leech

How do you picture your characters? This isn't as important for those who use minis, but since my groups don't use minis for our characters, we tend to use film or TV characters to define the general 'look' of a character. It also makes it easier to describe, both IC and OOC, if you have a firm look or image in your head.

This is more a sci-fi or modern thing, since the weapons and armour your character has in a fantasy setting tend to dictate their appearance and look. But it's still something which we, as the player, has a certain amount of control over.

Take George the Crusder for example, he wears chainmail, carries a shield and uses a longsword. But the head, his eyes and features, and his bearing are still things I have control over.

Course, in my SR campaign, this has provided a lot of OOC fun as well as IC entertainment. For a start, setting your CHA high enough to 'be' the person you're trying to use as your image, and also comparisons with others :o)

Anyway, I'm just curisous. The name thread got me thinking, and this is the result :o)

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I make description a lot like I make names. That is, I don't usually make a concious decision of "Ok, this is what Roman looks like." The description just pops in my head. Except for my Wookie character. He looks like Ron Pearlman covered in fur. I had that idea before I rolled anything.

I have an overly vivid imagination. I often cause fear in people when they realize we are thinking the same thing.

I don't find it too difficult to create an image in my head that fits what I want my character to look like. From there, I will try to sketch him out, but depending on my mood, and how talented I am feeling that day, it may be stick figures, or detailed renderings. I'll often write out the description, since writing is easier for me than drawing often enough. Appearance often comes from personality traits I want for the character, and then I flesh it out based off of ability scores, class, skill sets, etc.

Your pretty familiar with the little layout we did a while back for some of our characters in the Blood Apach campaign. We tend to go with a general idea based from movies.

An interesting thing happened concerning one character in particular, Sabian Reyes of the Wild Apaches. (Apache Lead Actual)

His character model follows Sergeant Elias (William Dafoe) in the vietnam movie Platoon starring Tom Berenger, Charlie Sheen, Corey Glover (lead singer from Living Color), Johnny Depp, Forest Whitaker, Fransesco Quinn, Tony Todd (Candy Man) and Keith David. (in fact, a lot of the Wild Apaches character models come from that movie in particular, and we wanted them to have a roughneck image).

Well, William Dafoe really surprised me when he showed up as "Barillo" in "Once upon a Time in Mexico" (The new Desperado movie). He spoke spanish a bit forced, but he really fit the image of "Sabian Reyes" even more.

but in thinking, the Wild Apache Unit itself kind of resembles the mentality of Sergeant Elias Grodin and the guys that he surrounded himself with. They try to do the right thing, but don't always go about it the right way. a bunch of misfits, but an efficient war machine.......

Don't bother downloading it, run it from your browser. It's so much easier :o)

The problem I have with Hero Machine is that while it's very good for certain stuff, it lacks in some areas. One good example of this is weapon selection - which makes SR difficult for it to cope with when you have a character who doesn't even know how to fire anything smaller than a light machine gun :o)

I usually go here when I'm looking for a protrait for a fantasy character. So far I have always found one that fits.  Some are better than others...

Was looking through the sire. Nice, but there is an awful lot of pictures that are taken from other artist work. Like Luis Royo, Parkinsons etc. Would bug me except for the caption "Such and such soreceress by whoever" It's like they are taking credit for something they really didn't "do" BUt then I am just weird about things like that. Of course did find some nice pics to save!

LT

Of course, I really should be talking! Been reading some of the comments! Man! Some people are down right scathing on those pictures people have "borrowed" from famous artist, and even some of some famour "stars" whos pics are altered that much! ouch! My eyes are burning.

LT

I've done a lot of text-based adventure games, and one thing I've learned is how to describe a person with only words. It's that ability that has given great descriptions to characters in my Forum RPGs here.

Unfortunatly, I can't draw for beans, or I would make pictures, scan them in and go from there. Such is life.

--LSH

I usually get an idea in my head of the character, and then draw them. When I GM, I usually at least do a quick sketch for all the major characters the PCs run into....sometimes for the players, but usually just because it gives me a better handle on the NPCs' character. I don't always show the sketches to the PCs...I can usually describe the NPCs fairly well to the PCs( one player in my group described my style of Gm-ing as "very cinematic"). I think that 's one of the most fun parts of Gm-ing, making all the villains and heroes for the PCs to encounter.

Oh, my players used Hero Machine a lot for their characters. Fun stuff!

I don't use any website or program to describe my characters. I draw instead from the rich knowledge of cultural information I have access too within my own personal library of Anthropology related books and also draw on my descriptive writing skills that I use a lot in online Roleplay other places on the net. I paint the picture in my mind, then I search for the perfect mini to fit the character's description.