A real devil to paint

This one is a real devil to paint.  

I got the body down and feel the colors there all make sense for a fire demon.  But the wings...I can't figure out what to do with them.  I was thinking to make them the feature and brighten them up, but the more I look at it the more I think the face and body are the focus.  Needing some help here.

20210718_184426.thumb.jpg.471b613405e5da52762b7919a8ce9c89.jpg

BATTLE REPORT!

Wins:

* Another round of dry brushing success!  Did a scarlet red, to flat red, to clear orange dry brush triad.  

*  Used clear orange filter to bring up the areas of highlight and the subtle change looks really good and helps increase contrast.

*  Horns seem to work pretty good with a oragnge/buff/white mix transitioning up.  

*  Dry brushing the gold kept it a cooler color rather than a overwhelming "bam" gold look.  I used a yellow+gold mix to highlight the edge of the sword, but in looking at the photo I may need to increase this.

* Vein on the right bicep has a purple hue I added.  I thought it was cool.

Misses:

*  I got pretty far along and then realized I have no idea how I want to do the wings.  I need help!  I need direction on the bone sections versus the wing membrane.  

*  The left calf got a bit too healthy of a helping of orange filter.  

*  The horns on his head don't seem to fit as well, but it's growing on me slowly.

*   Tried putting yellow eyes.  Didn't like it.  Then tried doing yellow with purple dots.  Didn't like it.  Then tried yellow with white slits.  Meh.

*  Used a filter around the eyes with yellow to give a glowing effect, but it was way too overpowering and ended up making him a devil raccoon.  Not the intended effect.  Died it back down with red, but still stands out a little weird.

I've got 2 more in this series and want to give them some consistency.  I was thinking the female devil I would do a purple/red mix.  As always, open to some ideas.  

If you're going to give feedback, I'd love some ideas on a diorama I could do with the three completed devils.

20210718_184309.thumb.jpg.afc8386e3438594a6a8670101b185124.jpg

20210718_183108.thumb.jpg.778c1268d030cb9584e859560ec2e695.jpg20210718_183127.thumb.jpg.72ee478e1c41562241b4882c19d5361a.jpg20210718_183146.thumb.jpg.be6330a103caec241cebb261808b8cb5.jpg

20210718_183146.jpg

20210718_183127.jpg

• Like 9

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wings can definitely be tough, especially when you have nothing to base them on!  Painting a young fire dragon right now and had the same issue!

If you want to keep the whole thing in this red color, then I would say highlight the bonier structures the same as the front skin and go dark on the membranes similar to what you already have.  Bring the bony bits at the top out a bit with cream color, or white.  Again, I recommend finding somewhere to add some color contrast, maybe the groin cover?  The gold works well, but I think you need another color to help bring out the rest of the miniature?

Looks good!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I Think the question is what idea you have about the wings. Right now they look like coloured Leather wings. 

With this in mind you could go for a reddish look and add burning marks around the holes. Think of distinct colours between bones, wings and holes in the First. Then blend together Bone and wing but contrast the surroundings of the hole.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Similar Content

• By R2ED
      Got another one in this week.  I'm on a roll!

Still doing my work on these marines looking for a color combo I really like.  I completed Red, Blue, Green, and Black.  I've got 2 more color schemes to test, which are Grey and White.  We'll see in the coming days how much energy I've got for them.

This one came out pretty good. 

I still need to base and touch up his sword with more color, but he's pretty much done outside of that.  Enough for me to post in WIP.

The process was pretty good and I'm learning that these sub-assemblies help a TON in getting to those insanely hard to reach spots.  I took pictures of what the sub assembly looks like just to what my method was and hopefully helps others struggling.  

• By R2ED
      Finished the Paint job on another marine.  I'll need to come up with a cool base.  I planned out this time black, red, yellow, blue colors. 

Here's the first one of this set up. 

Here's the purebred. 

Give me feedback.  If you'd like this black background let me know.

• By R2ED
      Just keep on plugging away at these bones 5 set.  So so so much to paint still. 

Here we go.  The necromancer.

I am going to say i hate bone white from vallejo.  That stuff has terrible coverage.  Chalky.   And thinning it makes it take forever to dry.  Not a fan.  Every time i is it i think, "i should mark this bottle with an x."  

I wanted the cape to be darker red, but it still works.  I was nearly going to paint it purple and make her clothes red, but didn't.  She looks way way way too colorful for a necromancer, but it's what it is now.  

• By R2ED
      Got the first set of 5 done.  I bought 5 Santas (one was in my bones 5), 4 Mrs. Claus, 4 Christmas mouselings.   I'm preparing a holiday ornament and diorama for friends to give them. 

Santa is now complete, but still need to get him on his base with Mrs. Claus.

Battle Report! 

I painted my first santa with a black primer.   It took about 4 or 5 layers to get red to actually show and not look washed out.  I just happened across a youtube video where Paintman Journeying was talking about how laying pink under red will help coverage and saturation.   Was worth a try for how many red clothes characters i was about to do. 

WORKS AMAZING.  

I then took all of them to base coat with airbrush. And not only that, it gave me a great way to go through more of the BCA pink i have 5 bottles of.   Finally i can use it on more things!   Warning for others: BCA pink has weird coverage. It's very very very very chalky. I hadn't noticed it on my small parts i use to paint it on like tongues or trinkets, but on big areas i really noticed.  

The assembly like setup on these worked great. Painted in this order:
      Coat, pants, hat first. 
      Santa's gift bag (different red)  next. 
      Cream trims next. 
      Face.
      Teddy bear.
      Washes on face and bear. 
      Gloves, boots, and belt. 
      Packages and trim. 

So far so good. 

• By R2ED
      So, i don't know if this is okay or not, but i wanted to share them.  I had never painted any warhammer stuff.  Both because of the cost and the fear of getting caught up in that universe.  Well... it started. 

I bought my first set of intercessors back in January, but never touched them because i just didn't feel able to take them on.  There's some amazing painters who do these and i always felt inadequate.  Gotta start somewhere though.  I started watching a ton of videos on them and put some ideas together. 

Here's my first ever 5 painted.  I tried to test two paint schemes green and blue. I think they both came out great. 

having never got into these before, i now see the reason people like these so much.  Very fun but very time consuming.  

Would love your feedback. 
  • Who's Online   3 Members, 1 Anonymous, 31 Guests (See full list)