Got another one of these simple townsfolk done.  I find they make a great opening salvo for the weekend before getting rolling.  They are more or less my practice pieces to try a few things before getting going.  Here he is - the farmer and his hoe.

IMG_20210718_113040_248.thumb.jpg.8c330e044ba49e1f440bbc06ffde2f9a.jpg

BATTLE REPORT!

Wins:

*  Keeping the palette very simple:Brown, Orange, Cream, Flesh - worked well.

*  Washes of Nuln oil on the shirt, pants, hood.  Looks good and helped dull the colors like work clothes.

*  Used Agrax on the leggings and the shoes and the hoe to give a more dirty apperance.  

*  I used a mix of buff and white streaks, then washed it with Agrax to give the wood appearance.  Not bad.

*  Flesh was Rosy Shadow - why I used that color, I have no idea - and I did a fleshwash on it.  Then brought it back up with rosy shadow, then again did it with a little added buff.  

Misses:

*  I really want to learn how to wood grain.  I can't figure it out or do it well and need some help there.  

*  I also am not a fan of this guy's skin.  I still don't get how to use the triads really well.  Or which skin tone to use for which kind of character.  It's why I like doing beasts or fantastical creatures because skin isn't really a concern.  Could use direction here if anyone is open.

*  Didn't want to use metal colors, so I just did a black to white to grey fade on the working end of the hoe.  Meh.

*  The highlights I went back in on the leggings, hood, and shirt are a bit much.  Almost look washed out.  Not sure what went wrong going back over the same areas with the colors after washing, but oh well.

For basing this guy - open to ideas.  I'm thinking just a simple 1" base and nothing complicated.  I'll do whatever someone suggests first.  

Edited by R2ED
  • Like 6

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This one is really well done!  You could always bring your highlights up a little more, and your shadows a little deeper, but I think this works well.  

For the face, I have been trying my hand at color variation for a few months now, really trying to get that realistic look into faces, so by no means am I an expert!  First, I would recommend hitting the eyes with a dab of white (or off white) to make them stand out.  Looks like you were able to get the pupils in ok, but hard to see where the eyes are.  Wood grains are not too hard, just think of highlighting the same as you do every thing else.  But on most wood grains you don't have the deep folds or nice bits to pick out, so you have to imagine where the gradients would be and simply highlight up while leaving some shadows on the flat surface.  I hope that makes sense?  Other bit I would offer is that the basing will definitely make the miniature more complete, and can sometimes completely change the look!  I have felt like a miniature was just un-done before and labored over it relentlessly, to finally throwing a base under it and finding myself completely satisfied!  On this guy, if you are trying for a simple base, just texture some sand and paint some nice earth tones, add some static grass and/or flock, maybe a flower or two!  Or, you could go a completely different direction and build a mini diorama of a pumpkin field!

• Thanks 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Similar Content

• By Inarah
      I'm a bit behind on my show-offs.  Here's one from July. 

From Reapercon 2020..... I wanted to give this fairy tale classic a modern twist, thus the tie-dyed shawl and the green apple.  Granny might also have some other "organic" produce and specialty home made items behind the counter. 

• By R2ED
      Got another one in this week.  I'm on a roll!

Still doing my work on these marines looking for a color combo I really like.  I completed Red, Blue, Green, and Black.  I've got 2 more color schemes to test, which are Grey and White.  We'll see in the coming days how much energy I've got for them.

This one came out pretty good. 

I still need to base and touch up his sword with more color, but he's pretty much done outside of that.  Enough for me to post in WIP.

The process was pretty good and I'm learning that these sub-assemblies help a TON in getting to those insanely hard to reach spots.  I took pictures of what the sub assembly looks like just to what my method was and hopefully helps others struggling.  

• By R2ED
      Finished the Paint job on another marine.  I'll need to come up with a cool base.  I planned out this time black, red, yellow, blue colors. 

Here's the first one of this set up. 

Here's the purebred. 

Give me feedback.  If you'd like this black background let me know.

• By R2ED
      Just keep on plugging away at these bones 5 set.  So so so much to paint still. 

Here we go.  The necromancer.

I am going to say i hate bone white from vallejo.  That stuff has terrible coverage.  Chalky.   And thinning it makes it take forever to dry.  Not a fan.  Every time i is it i think, "i should mark this bottle with an x."  

I wanted the cape to be darker red, but it still works.  I was nearly going to paint it purple and make her clothes red, but didn't.  She looks way way way too colorful for a necromancer, but it's what it is now.  

• By R2ED
      Got the first set of 5 done.  I bought 5 Santas (one was in my bones 5), 4 Mrs. Claus, 4 Christmas mouselings.   I'm preparing a holiday ornament and diorama for friends to give them. 

Santa is now complete, but still need to get him on his base with Mrs. Claus.

Battle Report! 

I painted my first santa with a black primer.   It took about 4 or 5 layers to get red to actually show and not look washed out.  I just happened across a youtube video where Paintman Journeying was talking about how laying pink under red will help coverage and saturation.   Was worth a try for how many red clothes characters i was about to do. 

WORKS AMAZING.  

I then took all of them to base coat with airbrush. And not only that, it gave me a great way to go through more of the BCA pink i have 5 bottles of.   Finally i can use it on more things!   Warning for others: BCA pink has weird coverage. It's very very very very chalky. I hadn't noticed it on my small parts i use to paint it on like tongues or trinkets, but on big areas i really noticed.  

The assembly like setup on these worked great. Painted in this order:
      Coat, pants, hat first. 
      Santa's gift bag (different red)  next. 
      Cream trims next. 
      Face.
      Teddy bear.
      Washes on face and bear. 
      Gloves, boots, and belt. 
      Packages and trim. 

So far so good. 

• Who's Online   2 Members, 1 Anonymous, 38 Guests (See full list)