I've really been going after these dioramas.  I'm seriously enjoying the change of pace going from the painting to the working of a landscape.  There's still so much I'm learning on color, scenery, and flock, but it's definitely coming along.

IMG_20210718_111449_255.thumb.jpg.bc7986158409438859799526344f4241.jpg

IMG_20210718_111449_291.thumb.jpg.e7b8bbdba1c65a48847bc66fcd8d884e.jpg

I thought the pebbles were kind of fun like some kind of jewels, but it didn't hit like I wanted, so I then went and added some GreenStuff jewels among them to give the impression it's mixed precious stones.  Either way, the point of little Rocky hoarding and scheming I think comes across fine. 

Where I may have gone a little overboard was the chipping of the stones.  I think leaving the pillars chipped would have been better and leaving the scaled walls untouched.  It's just hard because as I worked it, I just felt it was needing something else.

There's a local contest that I've been dropping my minis into and it's killing me because I'm getting beat every time by warhammer models.  I keep trying to bring in something different that will make others go, "Oh, that's different."  Even if I don't win, Isuppose that's not the point of me doing them.  The point is to keep trying and using this contest as a motivator to do more.  With most of the other models just being based on a 1 to 3" base, these big boys that I've been doing are sure to catch more eyes than the usual smaller ones I've submitted before.  

Here's to hoping it wins in August or Sept.

• Like 18
  • Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Love Rocky's color! (he does a great purple and the gold is a nice counterpoint)  I might have added some spread with copper coins or gold to spread the pile out a little bit or create some type of nest to give his location a purpose but both the miniature and the diorama look really great!

If you cant tell, the Rockies are one of my favorite dragon sculpts out there, they are so expressive and the multiple poses make them very dynamic)

Great Job!  good luck competing against the Warhammer crew!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Good job!  Don't worry about loosing a contest.  You'll get it.

A lot of times it's hard to stop at chipping away rocks or carving more and more cracks in a stone wall 🙂  To me it looked all natural.  I'm only commenting on this because I read your description.  I think in this case, it's just the type of rock this mountain top is made of so that big chunks are being washed away by the wind and the rain.

If you want to make rocks more interesting, add more color to them.  Natural rocks are not just shades of grey.  For example, you can give them some mold by adding yellow or green paint.  What I do is a base coat of some grey then a nice wash.  As the wash is still wet, give it some yellow and green so that it blends with the wash.  Don't blend, it just kind of drop it in places.  Then when it's all dry, do the regular dry brush with greys and lighter greys.  It will add more character to the stone. 

image.png.d2ddfcbde4fbd46cc890c53fe065083c.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

@Zloyduhfunny you said that.  I wanted to add more color, but much like the rock chipping, i thought it was going to be too much.  Might go back to a couple touch up areas with that in mind.  Less is better.  That's what I'll have to keep telling myself. 

1 hour ago, R2ED said:

@Zloyduhfunny you said that.  I wanted to add more color, but much like the rock chipping, i thought it was going to be too much.  Might go back to a couple touch up areas with that in mind.  Less is better.  That's what I'll have to keep telling myself. 

Hey man, it's your piece, so it really should be the way you see it.  Just a little bit of color, I think, would make the whole scene more alive.  Just a personal opinion 🙂

By the way, what are they made of?  The pink foam from Home Depot?

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By R2ED
      This one is coming along nicely. 

A few hours later got some highlights done. Antlers did. Skin on the face touched up.   Beard kind of done. Eyes done...i think? 

Next up will be the mouth and teeth.
      I have no idea what to do with those strange ports on his head behind his eyes. Open for ideas. 

Also struggling with beard and mustache on this guy. 
      Need ideas for his tail color.  As well a need color ideas for spines on his arms and legs.
    • By R2ED
      One of the others I plucked out of the Bones 4 set.  It looked fun, so I grabbed it.

Battle Report!

Wins:
      * Armor was a fun use of blues added in.  I watched Dr. Faust doing something similar to create some really cool effects.  Mine obviously not as good, but I think it was alright.
      * The skin was a big win for me.  I did it as a nice, slow build up and took my time with laying it up.  It worked great on her face.
      *  I was getting lost in the tid bits on her belt, but just used browns and then hlghlighted them up.  It actually worked out pretty well.  Better than I intended.
      *  Cape was a slight win, but not perfect.  
      *  Hair went better this time, but I'm still having a hard time pointing out where the light hights on the curved areas.  

Misses:
      *  NMM on swords.  I tried it again and then failed.  Wiped it out and covered it up with metallic. 
      * Flower should have been left with orange color and white tips, but I went too far by connecting the tips across.  It lost the deail going with more white.  Should have stopped.
      * I started using purple ink to separate the plates, but it just wasn't working.  I think I need to do more blacklining and not worry about adding in colors.  

Overall, she looks good.  The win here was the face and some of the highlights. 

Progress photo (nearly last photo before finishing it off)

• By R2ED
      Tried to keep this in very, very simple colors.  I think he came out okay.  Sometimes simple is good, right?

Battle Report!

Wins:
      * Cape and layers came out well.
      *  Staff shading was good.
      * metal highlights worked out well.  Used an ink wask to fill in the deeper areas and shade and edge highlighted.
      *  brightened the scale mail in the front which I think added a cool effect.

Misses:
      * The staff and bones didn't differentiate enough.  I tried doing a dry brush that failed pretty bad.  Then went back and just did similar tones.
      *  I wanted to have more color in the body, but didn't see how to do it without pulling away from the grimdark look.  Open to suggestions you may have.
      *  Also could have differed the band colors on the staff a bit more.

Open to feedback on this one.  
      I also need some good basing ideas.

• By R2ED
      Got two more nearly done.

I tried do keep the translucent look to the hands.  I love the technique that was shared with me a while back about "priming" these with matte medium to help paint stick to them and not lose that clear look.

Wins:
      * Both hands came out pretty good with easy enough highlighting with dry brushing.
      * The purple was an interesting attempt.  I had actually tried using a purple wash below in the smoke area, but it didn't go well.  Swapped it back to blue.
      *  The purpled did, however keep more of that 'clear' look more than the blue did.  
      * The smoke effects came out great.  I used a blue ink to tint and fill in the deeper areas.  Then drybrushed a prussian blue.  Then lightened it up to a sky blue.  Then finally to white.  Cool effect!

Misses:
      * I wish there was a better way to do the cut-off portion of the wrist on both of these.  They just don't have a lot of interest there with them going from smoke to hand.  I'd love some ideas.
      *  The knuckles on the blue hand was a little too strong.  I think I should have stayed to a lighter blue more than going to a white.  
      *  Maybe should have avoided the edge highlight around the wrist area.

Now, what the heck do I do with these?  I'm going to fill in the stone work below them to have a blue hue to them like they are getting radiant light from the hands, but not sure what else needs to be done?  Interesting and fun!
    • By TaleSpinner
      For the ReaperCon MSP Open this year, I painted the master copy of the White Drake I sculpted for Dark Sword (it will be released for sale in 2022).  I decided to do him in glacial coloration inspired by a glacier I saw while on a cruise in AK.

For the Sculpting story, click here.
      For the Painting WIP, click here.

Oh, and I won a gold medal for him in the Open category. 

(Bear in mind that that is a 1" base)

• Who's Online   19 Members, 2 Anonymous, 70 Guests (See full list)