IMG_20210717_062309_745.thumb.jpg.b47ceb354c309c9e55e56ab25294af63.jpg

Took a shot at the ol OSL. 

This model is from my youth that I'd always been afraid to paint because i didn't want to mess it up.  Years later, now I feel like my skills are better and it was worth a shot.  Not only did I take a shot, I did it with a real challenge applied to it.  I was either going to mess it up - or REALLY mess it up.  

BATTLE REPORT!

Wins:

*  Using the colors red and purple seem very wizardly.  Felt like a strong combo and happy with it.

*  The OSL I did was using a dry brush and sweeping it from the main source and only moving in that direction.  

*  After the initial area had been 'zoned' I went in and brought up the colors further.  I had a difficult time identifying what would be lit or not.

Misses:

*  The highlight on the face is way too much.  I wanted a light cast to it, but Iwasn't thinking like sitting in front of the sun.  Help.

*  What colors to use for bringing up a light source?  I was thinking some kind of fire getting cast away.  I went Orange, Yellow, White, but only hitting white up close and fading to deeper colors farther from the source.

*  The shading in the cape and undercape - I didn't do anything but feel it does need something.  Does it look strange without it?

If I were to base this one, I'm wondering how I can really knock this light effect out on the base, too.  I may end up just leaving this as is and thinking fondly of it as a first attempt at OSL.  I also think having taken a challenge piece from my childhood and honoring it with something fun to do in my adulthood felt...redeeming.  

• Like 7
  • Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am by no means an expert with things like OSL and NMM, but I think your shadows have to be deeper.  Was reading up on the technique the other day, and you have to have just as much contrast on the shadow side (the side not being emblazoned by the light) as you have highlights on the light side.  

I think it looks great as is! 

• Thanks 1

I think they are saying darken the cape. I am also a complete novice at OSL but I think you could go much darker on the back side. When I was trying this, I took a picture of the mini from the veiwpoint of the light source. I then knew that what I could see was what I should highlight. 

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By R2ED
      We're only about 3 months away from delivery of the Bones 5 (so stoked I can hardly contain myself) and there's A LOT coming.  

I stated in another post that I'd like to get through as many as i can.  I also know burnout is a real thing to be prepared for.  I don't know if this is a thing somewhere in the realms of Reaper Forum already, but would anyone be interested in getting on a weekly painting group to try and knock out the same minis?  I figure if anything it will at least be a means to keep on top of the painting and also encourage, inspire, and grow from the group effort.  There's a lot of logistics to be worked out, but if anyone would want to start something up with me, I'd love the company on the trail. 

Here's my general stats to see if you're in alignment: 
      Usually take about 1 to 1.5 hours on my minis.  
      Intermediate painter. 
      Nothing pro-level, just painting for fun. 
      Love to try new techniques.
      I find working with others is more motivating for me than on my own.  

Who's interested?

• By R2ED
      This little guy is just a background piece so i wanted him to be simple.  I picked his color scheme to use red and green.  Someone mentioned to try shading green with red so i thought, why not?   His tunic is green shaded with red. 

Testing a new style of painting with the deep shading around the eyes (because i wanted to be lazy... don't judge me).

Would love your feedback. 

• By R2ED
      Normally i wait to post show off once I'm done basing.  In this case, I was just using it to test some colors.  

Using the color wheel, i picked a triad i tight was fun.  I figured this gross figure needed a green belly.  From there i looked at what made up the triad: orange and purple.  Challenge accepted. 

I took the green bottom and touched it up with a hint of purple.  Then took the orange and did the same on top. I noticed the orange didn't take to showing the detail well, so i added a hint of yellow in the mix and it helped contrast the shaded spots.  Still wanted more.   Made a light wash of that purple and filled in the sections and gaps in the chitin.  Worked well. 

For a three color combo it sure does look weird, but also some how works.  I'm digging this color theory thing. 

Here's the progress photos.

• By R2ED
      This one took a lot more time than i planned.  2.5 nights of work.  The killer of it was all the layers with translucent paint.  Keeping them thin to not get streaking was difficult.   But i did it and it's done. 

Proud moment for me is the eye.  

Done! 

• By R2ED
      This one is taking me forever! 

I'm at a standstill with doing this eyeball. I also can't tell if i need to change the weird yellow i did around the eye.  I'm also struggling with the pumpkin lights in the heads.

Overall I'm struggling and need suggestions. 

Here's where I'm at: 

Here's the progress photos

• Who's Online   7 Members, 0 Anonymous, 32 Guests (See full list)