how difficult is necromunda?

after starting to play frostgrave we are now thinking about something Cyberpunk sci fi thing to start playing in the future. I have started to look into necromunda since its prices ( which honestly came as a big surprise for me) are on the more normal side for gw. Another candidate is realitys edge from osprey. Stargrave would be to close to frostgrave i think. I want sonething that feeels a little different. Is anybod  here who has xperience with necromunda? 

I am mainly interested to know  if it is fun and if its rules are a mess or more easy to learn like frostgrave. I remember from my time playing 40k that i Was not a Fan of the imho complicated rules of that game. are necromunda rules better then 40k?

• Like 3
  • Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I liked the original Necromunda.  I never played the new edition.  In the original edition, the rules were a derivative of the 40k 2nd edition rules.  I wouldn't say it's cyberpunk, though. 

There are a ton of good sci-fi skirmish rules out there - there are some good suggestions in this thread here:
https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/77845-28mm-sci-fi-skirmish-games/

Currently, I'm playing Renegade Scout (a retro 40k clone) and 7tv Inch-Hi Spy Fi.    7tv isn't technically a sci-fi skirmish game, but so far it's worked as one for me. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
7 hours ago, Corsair said:

Maybe look at Shadowrun, being owned by Catalyst they don't screw everyone over on rulebooks like GW does.

No, they do something different - make you wait upwards of two years for a physical edition, and then a week after you pick it up the new edition comes out, making your book obselete... 

I did have the pdfs for those two years, but I prefer dead tree edition because they keep working if you aren't near power, or y'know, the power goes out.  Digital edition does have the delightful benefit of built in zoom and occasional updates though... 

• Like 2
7 hours ago, lowlylowlycook said:

I can say that modern Necromunda has a ludicrous number of source books to the point that anyone that wants to play has to use a fan made compendium just to keep things together.

As far as i can tell you need the core rules and then the rulebook containing your gang. Two rulebooks are ok i think. Of course you might need additional books for additional campaigns but considering that i alrwady bought 5 additional rule books from frostgrave you could make the Argument that you also have to buy more books with other Systems for more stuff to play.

Realitys edge has just one book which is good for the wallett but makes me question if there are more official campaigns or Updates to come.

But in the end the most important thing is the question wether the rules are a mess or not. Easy to learn without sacrificing all depth (like frostgrave) or not.

• Like 1

I used to play the original Necromunda when I was younger (I understand they released a remake recently).  It was one of my favourite games ever made, I much preferred the small scale skirmishes of gang warfare to the large scale battles of army based war games.  I also liked the role play elements and level up system of Necromunda, it made for a much more intimate game as you felt a lot more invested in your characters.

Whilst all the rule books made it look quite daunting at first glance, they served more as reference books and were there if you intended explore the games roleplay elements (i.e party progression, claiming territories to earn money, unique scenarios to play etc).   The core game itself was actually a pretty easy game to jump into once you had a grasp of the basic rule set (iirc there was a quick start guide in the box that summarised the all core rules on a single A4 sized sheet of card). 

As for the new Necromunda I have no idea, I fell out of love with Games Workshop and for personal reasons tend to avoid their products.  But if it is anything like the old game, then I am sure it will be great.

Edited by Dan S
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Dan S said:

I used to play the original Necromunda when I was younger (I understand they released a remake recently).  It was one of my favourite games ever made, I much preferred the small scale skirmishes of gang warfare to the large scale battles of army based war games.  I also liked the role play elements and level up system of Necromunda, it made for a much more intimate game as you felt a lot more invested in your characters.

Whilst all the rule books made it look quite daunting at first glance, they served more as reference books and were there if you intended explore the games roleplay elements (i.e party progression, claiming territories to earn money, unique scenarios to play etc).   The core game itself was actually a pretty easy game to jump into once you had a grasp of the basic rule set (iirc there was a quick start guide in the box that summarised the all core rules on a single A4 sized sheet of card). 

As for the new Necromunda I have no idea, I fell out of love with Games Workshop and for personal reasons tend to avoid their products.  But if it is anything like the old game, then I am sure it will be great.

I am also absolutley no Fan of GW anymore. Their pricing and permanent releasing of one edition after another smells like high level corporate greed to me (and there is more BS they pull off imo). That being sad i always liked the lore of 40k and classic warhammer so if there would be a chance for me to pick up a complete game for a resonable price (right now i ight get away with 100-150 Euros for a complete gang with core book and their gang book, which i find resonable for all the hours of enjoyment i might get out of it). then it might make this one time investment into necromunda managable.

Thanks for letting me know about your experience with the rules. Sounds not to bad unlike 40k.

I remember playing 40k in the shop (15+ years ago) and saying to the other guy i was playing with: "I am a noob and this is my second 40k game so i hope you can help me with the rules. I find them a little bit confusing to be honest." and the guy said something along the line "I am no noob but i also don't get the rules. Nobody really understands them." We laughed and started playing and 10 minutes later he was disqualified from the game because he had accidently went over what he was allowed to bring to the table by 40 army points (in a 600 püoints game). The guy in the store was super serious about it but i felt that guy simply made a mistake with his army list cause he didnt stike me like the kind of guy who was "that guy who has to win desperatley".

That story came up in my mind while thinking about all of this. It was Fun but GW got enough money from me for 40k and Lord of the rings so i will never buy anything big from them again. OInly Necromunda an something similiar small and inexpensive would be ok for me.

Edited by MediocrePainter
  • Like 3
6 minutes ago, Grumpy Gnome said:

I have not played Zona Alpha but I have heard a lot of good things about it.

Uncle Atom recommended it and also guerilla miniature games played it. I liked so far what i saw. Also the price is awesome. 15 Eur for the rulebook then there is an additional source book called Kontraband and thats it. The (inofficial) minis you can buy on etsy for 40-50 Euros (several packs which you can then mix and match). Terrain i can reuse partly fantasy stuff and just have to build some simple houses and shacks to simulate the eastern european village part. So Money wise its really a small investment especially if you divide the cost by 2 people. Also i like the micture of stalker-esque realism but also the sci fi aspects of the aliens visiting earth and leaving weird stuff behind.

Necromunda is not expensive for a gw game but still you would have to pay at least anything between 200-350 Euros for source books terrain and gangs. compared to maybe 100 Euros for Zona alfa. Also the recent way in which GW killed fan animation and other warhammer content creators really made me dislike them even more. Except for some paint i think i won't buy fromt them anymore.

• Like 2