Bones 5 Kickstarter Figure Assembly Questions & Advice

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got a WIP going here and will post about any issues I have there and here( I expect some because I'm bad at assembly). FYI I have a pic showing where the leg placement is identified for Arakoth. I wouldn't be surprised if there's something similar for Yog Sothoth but ove only looked at the encounters ( half of them but dont have Gallowguard, Mandupar Pass, or the troll bridge).

• Like 3
15 hours ago, Guindyloo said:

Raakam on the discord put up a youtube video from his twitch stream where he showed how to assemble the ship: https://youtu.be/9oJGza2U8k4

Oh Dear. 
He holds up the main gun deck to the camera and he calls it “the bilge”.  The sentence runs on: “…or maybe the crew quarters”

Not an auspicious start. 

Perhaps he will get help from his chat. 

Edited by TGP
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Arakoth you need to paint joint /connection areas prior to assembly or they won't be accessible and you may have light grey gaps where abdomen and thorax join, and where legs, fangs, etc do. Especially important for the 2 main  body parts though. I think leg attachments can be dealt with, but it gets harder. Pics in my WIP p1.

I also had problems with the small arms next to the fangs in the front...  they didn't come off easily like other legs and I had to keep cutting and cutting until I could fit something in to the hole to glue.

Other legs are fine as long as you attach them as you remove from sprues or as long as you transfer the identifiers to the legs to deal with later. I got the 2 that separated wrong... thankfully they were the last ones left. So it was just flipping L/R.

Edited by lexomatic
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Interesting that you had so much trouble with Arakoth’s legs. Someone in... the Chris Lewis Arakoth sculpt thread? ...stated the legs all fit perfectly on the first try. 

Still waiting on my order, so I have no personal experience with it yet. 

10 hours ago, ksbsnowowl said:

Interesting that you had so much trouble with Arakoth’s legs. Someone in... the Chris Lewis Arakoth sculpt thread? ...stated the legs all fit perfectly on the first try. 

Still waiting on my order, so I have no personal experience with it yet. 

Just the little front ones on the face next To the teeth. They fell off again too partway through painting because there was no "ball." I would much prefer the simple connection system of spider to base. Weird joints don't work well for me.i have to cut, I cut away too much, it doesn't glue properly....

On 7/14/2021 at 9:04 PM, ksbsnowowl said:

Talespinner sculpted the big spider. 

There is a link a few posts up. 

Edited by TGP
Talespinner
  • Like 2
On 7/10/2021 at 7:54 PM, WolfLord said:

Anybody having an issue with placing the seat boards on the sailboat from the Brinewind Expansion?

Yeah.  I misjudged where and which direction some of them should be, but even after finding homes for the rest I still wasn't able to get one of them to squeeze into the boat.  I think it's going to need to be trimmed.  I didn't work on it too long, though.

If you got the Brinewind Extras, did your cart come with the lantern and cargo?  I would assume it was just for show in the picture, but the little sailboat was actually filled with all the stuff in the picture.

a general tip when assembling pegged, keyholed or what you call it parts in PVC, such as bones or bones black is to heat one or both parts before assembly.
I use recently boiled water for this. the same hot water trick as when straightening swords or whatever.
This softens the plastic and in many cases undoes any warpage present from the moulding process. In my experience this makes the parts fit much better, and reduces possible gaps as they will flex a little to fit when warm and pressing together. If you then dunk in cold water, they set. Sometimes no glue is even needed.

Heated parts are much easier to cut if needed, I slice with a scalpel or exacto. Specifically, this makes Bones Black models much easier to deal with, as room temperature bones black is significantly harder than bones classic to cut.

Also any residual moisture in the hole (if there is not too much) functions as a super glue-hardener, and makes the super glue set faster.

The plastic itself does in my experience usually not get too hot to handle, but the water can be scalding. Caution is advised.

• Like 3

A question about the ship and its Fife Rails has been answered in another thread.

I would merge that one into this one if I could.

@RandyTayler took a great picture once he spotted the holes for them:

image.png.34004ea6e0a17893ecea107fd4fc48ab.png

There are three rails. One per mast. The vertical posts are stanchions. They plug into the deck. Each rail holds 5 Belaying Pins.

On a functional, full sized ship, ropes are lashed around the pins. (And yes, the name of the pins is related to the expression, "BELAY THAT !!")

Edited by TGP
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
On 7/16/2021 at 2:24 AM, Seahawk said:

Yeah.  I misjudged where and which direction some of them should be, but even after finding homes for the rest I still wasn't able to get one of them to squeeze into the boat.  I think it's going to need to be trimmed.  I didn't work on it too long, though.

If you got the Brinewind Extras, did your cart come with the lantern and cargo?  I would assume it was just for show in the picture, but the little sailboat was actually filled with all the stuff in the picture.

I think it did. I’ll have to go back and look. 

Just got my big box, and it's amazing. I'm running into a snag putting together the multi-part kits. I've tried a few different brands and bottles of super glue as well as plastic glue, and nothing is holding. I know super glue is supposed to work, but I'm wondering what my issue is. Do I need to wash and dry the parts before attempting to assemble? (I did that already with the single piece models, but I was really wanting to not lose these pieces or get them mixed up.)

6 minutes ago, Retreater said:

Just got my big box, and it's amazing. I'm running into a snag putting together the multi-part kits. I've tried a few different brands and bottles of super glue as well as plastic glue, and nothing is holding. I know super glue is supposed to work, but I'm wondering what my issue is. Do I need to wash and dry the parts before attempting to assemble? (I did that already with the single piece models, but I was really wanting to not lose these pieces or get them mixed up.)

Washing and drying usually helps if you can do them a few at a time to keep from confusing parts. I use Loctite superglue gel with the blue cap. It gives me a little more work time and stays where I put it. I can also see where I'm putting it better. Sometimes the pegs don't quite fit right so they need trimmed to fit well. If they don't fit right before trying to glue them it will give you difficulty when trying to glue.

• Like 3