Bones 5 Kickstarter Figure Assembly Questions & Advice

19 hours ago, Retreater said:

Just got my big box, and it's amazing. I'm running into a snag putting together the multi-part kits. I've tried a few different brands and bottles of super glue as well as plastic glue, and nothing is holding. I know super glue is supposed to work, but I'm wondering what my issue is. Do I need to wash and dry the parts before attempting to assemble? (I did that already with the single piece models, but I was really wanting to not lose these pieces or get them mixed up.)

You should read R2ED’s post on page one.  I am sure it will help.  I haven’t tried it myself but I will.

• Thanks 1
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Shavynra the Slayer - his rear legs don't fit the base properly. His stance is splayed out. One leg misses the spot by about 1cm. I tried boiling the legs for a min or 2, and then put them into an ice batch to see if that would work but it hasn't corrected the problem. Should I be boiling the legs a lot longer? They're pretty thick and chunky I can't see them changing shape very much ..

I'm only dry fitting it at the moment. But, at this point - I'm thinking about just gluing him together and mounting him on the stand 'as is' - I can cut off the support peg on one of his back feet and pin and glue him to the base where it wants to land.

Has anyone else encountered this? It's a beautiful beast, I want to do it justice - any feedback is appreciated.

• Like 1

It worked! Thanks A LOT.

I didn't realise how bendy they would get, I did the dry fit while hot and flexible, a bit of an awkward juggling act with the torso and both legs and base, and ran it under cold water. It worked like a charm. Super happy thanks again.

Edited by Styrofoam Rex
typo
  • Like 6

I merged the Shavynra topic over here, but I did it wrong because I have not had enough coffee yet. Any suggestions on how to properly assemble a tired mod? ::P:

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

Anybody do the Shadows of Ravenhome encounter?  I'm working on assembling the minis amd I cannot get the orientation of the mini right. Either it wont fit or it is so completely imbalanced that I have no idea how I will ever use it.

Edited by lexomatic
1 hour ago, lexomatic said:

Anybody do the Shadows of Ravenhome encounter?  I'm working on assembling the minis amd I cannot get the orientation of the mini right. Either it wont fit or it is so completely imbalanced that I have no idea how I will ever use it.

I got a few copies. Which figure are you talking about? The heroine, vampire madam, or the vamp harpy looking to put you in a thigh grip?

The one jumping over gravestone... so the harpy in your list. I guess They're called night wings?

12 minutes ago, ksbsnowowl said:

I got a few copies. Which figure are you talking about? The heroine, vampire madam, or the vamp harpy looking to put you in a thigh grip?

I’ll take a look at her later tonight. 

Night wings. Nice, I like it. 

Okay, so the sprue attachment is the peg that fits into her flowing skirt. Pegs tend to end up oversized a bit when they do that (see the Brinewind skeleton captain’s ship wheel).  Careful trimming of the sprue flash on the top of the peg made it work. Be careful not to remove the front face of the peg (the peg face is NOT flush to the face of the tombstone; it angles upward a bit). Here it is, just press-fit, no glue. 

6FC2E68B-4EF2-4B5F-8AA6-982F239FD21D.thumb.jpeg.d87d00152e875c0914043cce34065ef1.jpegBA767B67-22C0-42D1-A612-16C671D30DD3.thumb.jpeg.4bfdaf5c9ea15bcb500b877708cc775b.jpeg

Edited by ksbsnowowl
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Anyone with the Dungeon Dwellers box assemble the dragon yet?  The leg seems to leave a very big gap.  I have done multi-piece figures before and I am no stranger to filling things in with green stuff, but I am finding I need to do more than anticipated.

3 hours ago, ksbsnowowl said:

I’ll take a look at her later tonight. 

Night wings. Nice, I like it. 

Okay, so the sprue attachment is the peg that fits into her flowing skirt. Pegs tend to end up oversized a bit when they do that (see the Brinewind skeleton captain’s ship wheel).  Careful trimming of the sprue flash on the top of the peg made it work. Be careful not to remove the front face of the peg (the peg face is NOT flush to the face of the tombstone; it angles upward a bit). Here it is, just press-fit, no glue. 

6FC2E68B-4EF2-4B5F-8AA6-982F239FD21D.thumb.jpeg.d87d00152e875c0914043cce34065ef1.jpegBA767B67-22C0-42D1-A612-16C671D30DD3.thumb.jpeg.4bfdaf5c9ea15bcb500b877708cc775b.jpeg

Yeah. This does nothing to change my mind that there should be special challenge assembly sets for people who want to build. I accidentally chopped a bit off the peg, not realizing what it was. People who have to do a  bunch see what it is or have instruction. I still don't think I've done an assembly  equal to a factory one.

Here's my assembly. I was never able to get a dry fit and had to wiggle things around.

20210724_232800.jpg

• Like 1
On 7/24/2021 at 10:19 PM, turbocooler said:

Anyone with the Dungeon Dwellers box assemble the dragon yet?  The leg seems to leave a very big gap.  I have done multi-piece figures before and I am no stranger to filling things in with green stuff, but I am finding I need to do more than anticipated.

I discovered with some other ones that a dip in hot water for a minute or so tends to resolve a lot of the gapping problems. What you may have is a mild distortion of the casting causing a bad fit. My method is to put a 1 gallon stew pot, about 3/4 full on the stove, heat to the point where you are just beginning to get bubbles on the bottom, then, using a metal slotted spoon, dip the mini (or part) in the hot water for about a minute. Remove the subject from the water using the spoon, test fit, and if the problem is resolved, allow it to cool (or force cool using cold water), dry, and continue assembly. Hope this helps, sorry for the delay.

Remember that these minis sat in enclosed containers, in hot environments, for a month or more before reaching Reaper. Yes, the cardboard boxes provide SOME insulation, but it can get EXTREMELY hot inside those containers (130 degrees or higher farenheit). Also, some minis may have been packed before they were completely cooled, also resulting in distortion. With Bones in general, including Bones Black, hot water is your friend.

Edited by Skallabjorn
  • Like 3

My arakoth giant spider's #4 right leg didn't fit the socket, I had to do some heavy trimming and gluing to get it in

In regards to the ship, I don't want to watch a blinking 43 minute video to find out what this is, can anyone just give me a short and easy answer? Edit: ah I figured it out

I'm also missing whatever the pole is that comes off the back of the ship

PXL_20210801_222408787.jpg

Edited by Sirithiliel