Bones 5 Kickstarter Figure Assembly Questions & Advice

On 7/10/2021 at 2:00 PM, TGP said:

I did not even get a ship but I am such a “ship nerd” I can tell you which mast goes where, which way they point, what the ships scale dimensions are…

Ships are my thing. Ask away. 

Where does the steering wheel go? I assume the Quarter Deck?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi All!

I'm finally getting my hands on my Bones 5!  I'll be starting off with this lovely dragon fellow.  I've never done anything larger than a regular mini before and I've never done a dragon either.  So this will be new and exciting experience. 

As you can see, his legs are cricket.  I can't help imagining him waterskiing with his feet like that and those dragon arms holding on to a rope! lol  Anyways!  I've read that even with bigger figures like this, boiling parts is the ultimate solution.  So, I'm going to go boil some dragon legs right now.  Wish me luck!  I'll post an update here in the near future.

Cheers!

~Z

P8061546.thumb.JPG.17d5dd66c20424e56df89c993a7c30b3.JPG

P8061547.thumb.JPG.a77e32a8b03db5c9bf9a99ff3ba543da.JPG

• Like 2

Alright, well, that just went super smooth.  I thought there would be some back and forth between the boiling and the ice water.  But after boiling legs for the first time, they kind of just adjusted themselves.  I went ahead and boiled other body parts, too.  I believe they sort of unfolded to some better shapes, not sure, might be just my imagination. 

I thought there would be more to it, but, I guess, that's about it!  If you're putting together this dragon, just boil the limbs and, according to my experience, they should just adjust themselves.

Cheers!

~Z

P8061548.thumb.JPG.0e3070c479ffaf5612af1b4c80b72132.JPG

• Like 5
  • Members

My cart in the Brinewind extras feels like it is missing pieces in addition to being badly warped.. anyone assemble theirs yet?  My wheels dont fit the holes on the bottom, and I only got one axle looking piece that is way too long  to fit anywhere.. the yoke holes are not lined up.. alignment issues I can fix, but I feel like maybe I'm short on stuff

• Sad 1

Boil will help with alignment problems.  My Mamatour was way off in alignment for it's base.  Those are hefty legs, A placed it in a pot and poured boiling water over it.  It went right in.  The extended time in hot containers warped many pieces.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, SamuraiJack said:

My cart in the Brinewind extras feels like it is missing pieces in addition to being badly warped.. anyone assemble theirs yet?  My wheels dont fit the holes on the bottom, and I only got one axle looking piece that is way too long  to fit anywhere.. the yoke holes are not lined up.. alignment issues I can fix, but I feel like maybe I'm short on stuff

I did I think.

Assuming this is the correct cart.

1929822895_PXL_20210807_1609237422.thumb.jpg.1ab4d1245260f7ab1741141bb54a0459.jpg

The two axles are the same, but I had to clean extra flash from the holes on the underside to make it go through. Same with the yoke. The wheels have a notch so they have to be turned properly to fit the axle. The seat I had to heat and then glue while it was still flexible.

41312252_PXL_20210807_1609144312.thumb.jpg.ca0615dc6cd5444bbb86828e20d09bd4.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Members
1 hour ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

I did I think.

Assuming this is the correct cart.

1929822895_PXL_20210807_1609237422.thumb.jpg.1ab4d1245260f7ab1741141bb54a0459.jpg

The two axles are the same, but I had to clean extra flash from the holes on the underside to make it go through. Same with the yoke. The wheels have a notch so they have to be turned properly to fit the axle. The seat I had to heat and then glue while it was still flexible.

41312252_PXL_20210807_1609144312.thumb.jpg.ca0615dc6cd5444bbb86828e20d09bd4.jpg

I'm definitely missing an axle then and maybe the seat.  Thanks

• Like 1

I haven't unbagged and glued everything yet -- feels like there's a lot more assembly necessary this time around versus some previous Bones I bought in on -- but I haven't seen any dice in the mix.  Wasn't that one of the unlocked stretch goals?  Not like I really need more, and maybe they were bagged with some figs.  Anyone else find theirs?

19 hours ago, Rainshine said:

I haven't seen any dice in the mix.  Wasn't that one of the unlocked stretch goals? 

Yes. Sophie's lucky dice. Should be in a see through plastic box separate from the big core container.

21 hours ago, Serenity said:

Factory packing mistake resulted in most  all Core boxes not including the dice.  Contact [email protected] to be put on the list to have the dice sent to you, but only if you want them.  Other SOD items are going out ASAP, but the dice are expected to take longer.

The ones who got dice were outside the box.

I had picked up a Homidic Heat Gun off Amazon to help with my 3D printing.  I found it super useful for assembly and straightening of Bones V.  Used it and a iced water bottle to fix everything this time around.

They're only about $12 and really worth it as a miniature hobbyist to me.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Yog-Sothoth, unsurprisingly, is a bit of a nightmare to assemble. I eventually had to resort to using rubber bands to hold bits together while the glue dried, since the chunkier pieces didn't tend to stay put long enough, and my hands were getting tired trying to keep them squished together sufficiently.

I've just got the tentacles left, then I get to try and attach the whole thing to the pillar. I am not comforted by the fact that I know eventually I'll need to half pull it apart again when I have time to paint it. :lol:

Huzzah!

--OneBoot 😄

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

Update: Fully assembled, and looking delightfully horrifying. I'd highly recommend assembling all of the creature befor attaching it to the post. It slides up through a couple of tentacles that are sculpted curled to hold it, and once on they actually create a surprisingly sturdy grip. 

It's so tentacle-y and bug eyed and creepy and I love it. :wub:

Huzzah! 

--OneBoot :D 

• Like 5
22 hours ago, Lidless Eye said:

I had picked up a Homidic Heat Gun off Amazon to help with my 3D printing.  I found it super useful for assembly and straightening of Bones V.  Used it and a iced water bottle to fix everything this time around.

They're only about $12 and really worth it as a miniature hobbyist to me.

I'd be interested in knowing if the fix 'sticks', or reverts to the previous warped state after a while.

• Like 3