Bones 5 Kickstarter Figure Assembly Questions & Advice

Guindyloo

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm losing my mind here trying to get the treasure dragon's arm into place. Can anyone tell me how they did this? 902425148_Screenshot_20210828-112744_AcrobatforSamsung.thumb.jpg.d6af176cb271b7b914b1b043ca0f9fa4.jpg

Alright update: i used the hot water trick to get it in there, but dude... was not easy. 

Edited by R2ED
  • Like 3

Simple question when assembling some of these compound minis (those which arrive in more than one piece): assemble then drip glue, or drip glue then quickly assemble?

Most of the videos I'm watching on assembly show the person placing a drop (or more) of CA glue on the socket, sometimes with Green Stuff or epoxy putty, then quickly putting the pieces together. With a putty only, this seems right, but when you have at least three parts, sometimes with stresses on multiple parts, and you're only using CA glue, it would seem to make more sense to assemble, then add a few drops of glue.

But I'm not seeing any videos showing this. Surely I'm not the first person to think that CA glue is so thin that it wouldn't have trouble running in through the gaps, so I'm guessing folks have tried it and stopped for some reason. Honestly, I'm leaning towards epoxy putty for these pieces because it would also fill the gap, but so would some baking soda and CA.

So, I thought I'd ask others on their experiences gluing these up. Most of my experience was from years ago with metal parts, and pieces this big would have needed pinned. I'm thinking that with plastic, the pins aren't really necessary -- test fits show that the tension alone shows most of these don't feel flimsy or weak. Because the pieces don't bend during assembly, and because the plastic is lighter weight, I'm thinking that glue or epoxy should be sufficient. But if I glue one piece at a time, I'm worried that the last piece may have so much tension as to require bending it to make it fit. If I just assembled it first, then dripped in the glue -- well, anyway, anyone here try assembling compound pieces and adding a couple drops of CA to the joint?

12 hours ago, KnockNrod said:

But if I glue one piece at a time, I'm worried that the last piece may have so much tension as to require bending it to make it fit.

Hi! 🙂

So it sounded like you just wanted an advice on how to simply glue things together all up until I read this sentence.  This sounds like not gluing, but assembling is the real problem.  To be more exact, parts don't fit, don't come together well. 

If I'm right, take a look into hot water treatment.  You can watch a video online about this.  Basically, boil the parts in the water.  Have some pot with ice and water ready.  When boiled parts become soft, throw them into the ice cold water.  The parts will harden.  Now the parts should have the right shape to fit together nicely.  At this point, the joints should come together nice and tight.  Simply put some glue inside the joints.  There shouldn't be much void left inside if any.  You will have some gaps left on the outside, though.  You can fill those in with green stuff or whatever filler you prefer.

I hope this helps, and I really hope I caught what the real problem you're having is!
🙂

~Z

• Like 2

Ah, OK! I like to look at other people's paint jobs sometimes for inspiration, or trying to figure out what some bit/flavour a mini is supposed to be. One of the currently bottled ones could either be a golem, an undead, or someone in a helmet. In the end it's whatever I make it, just was looking for an easy way to look him up. Thanks!

45 minutes ago, Rainshine said:

Ah, OK! I like to look at other people's paint jobs sometimes for inspiration, or trying to figure out what some bit/flavour a mini is supposed to be. One of the currently bottled ones could either be a golem, an undead, or someone in a helmet. In the end it's whatever I make it, just was looking for an easy way to look him up. Thanks!

You could hop on the discord to see the Reaper paint jobs as well as the RCL channel that has tons of painted minis. Lots of people to talk to to ask about those minis and bits you aren't sure what they are.