Dark Sword Miniatures Wildling With Spear, G.R.R Martin Masterseries. SKU DSM5017

Neptune1999

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He looks great. There is a lot of personality in the face. 

I actually think your NMM is fine and has the right look. The only thing is that the highlights suggest that the light source is from the front. It feels like you were painting the rest of the mini with light source up higher. 

• Like 2

NMM is all about contrast. For metal, you need to have extreme contrast between you white and your black at their boundary. Higher contrast under the golden trim will also help pupping the NMM effect. Another way to add contrast is using a warm color next to the cold color of the steel. Instead of painting the piece of fabric under the bracer in grey, I would recommend using the same reddish color from the jacket. Unless it is intended to be a symbol or something, I would also paint over the black spot on the bracer to unify the surface.

I like the contrast of the black hair in opposition to the tanned leather hood and the serious look on his face. Keep up the good work.

DSM5017.JPG.6cef28b47520564794ded24a5c2cd7b0.JPG

• Like 5

since u asked for C&C here's my take: The mini looks great the way it is but I would luv for u to add some dark blue, or some purple (or deep red) into the shadows of the fur cloak and than highlighting with a flesh color on a few strands. The face has lovely shadows and I believe you can bring them out even more if u add another highlight (white-gray) on the hair around the face .i.e. the long strand going down the right side (pic) of the face as well as some points on the bottom of his beard as well as the very top of the head. The things I don't like about the mini (and this is just my opinion), not sure if the hand holding the spear is supposed to be gloved but it appears u forgot to paint it, it'd look better as flesh. the folds on the arms, you painted the folds all one color even bring the same color can really tell on the right arm holding the dagger it lost the appearence as cloth to me all it looks like stripes, just because a fold is long doesn't mean the whole fold must be colored in the same paint or all along it folds wouldn't be catching the same light in shadow areas, i.e. the underarms etc.. 

And I know someone said they like ur spear tip but I do not. To me when u chose purple for the color ur saying to me it's some kind of shard whether it be dragon shard or other it's not painted as such (feel should have a more crystal look) the lines on the spear head looks off to me personally. Again these would be just nitpiks of mine, it still is a nicely painted mini.

kudo's to you!

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback everyone! 🙂 

@ Metalchaos Thanks for the advice on nmm, your editing really does make it look better. That black stripe down the center is something that I would probably try glazing or blending into the highlight to its left.

@kazmania7 I agree with the highlights looking strange on his left sleeve. I feel that it would probably benefit from a black glaze, and then brought back up with a few greys and white-greys, as it looks a bit unfinished in this pic. As for his one missing glove, I felt that I would go with the scrounged armor look with his one vambrace and one fur glove, which was actually due to a mistake I made while base coating and not wanting to overapply paint. I appreciate your feedback 🙂

@Krassling I wanted to go for a "magically strengthened" amethyst stone sharpened using flintknapping. I got the idea after reading of the Spanish crystal dagger, but it had been a while since using Vallejo's glorious line of vibrant purples, so I just went with what sounded fun. 

• Like 2