I'm currently building a fabulously sculpted demonic Archon that is really far from "miniature" since it's around 6" tall. I got the bright idea of adding a pair of bat wings I've had in the bits bag for years to this thing instead of the cape it came with, but whoa, Nelly! The wings in questions are hard plastic and the miniature itself is resin. I intend on pinning the wings in place and adding putty as well, but what type of glue would work best in this situation? Regular CA (I'm using Loc-Tite gel right now) or plastic cement like the Tamiya cement I have on hand? Help?

Edited by MaskedRiderChris
  • Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Superglue. Tamiya won't work on resin.

Any decent brand should work just fine. Just do NOT use 'plastic cement' or "liquid cement." This is designed for plastic models, not resin. It works by partially dissolving the plastic so the parts will fuse together. Resin does not dissolve so 'plastic cement' will have no effect on it.

You may want to use gel superglue rather than the normal liquid.

Also, while the plastic glue isn't something that would be as much help connecting the pieces, you can still use sprue goo to fill gaps and blend it in place with a tighter connection around the edges.

If you don't know what sprue goo is, take about a half full thing of the thin plastic glue and add in chopped up sprue pieces and let them melt into it to create a more goopy mix. There's a few videos on youtube about using and making it.

• Like 2
On 7/30/2021 at 8:57 PM, SotF said:

You may want to use gel superglue rather than the normal liquid.

Also, while the plastic glue isn't something that would be as much help connecting the pieces, you can still use sprue goo to fill gaps and blend it in place with a tighter connection around the edges.

If you don't know what sprue goo is, take about a half full thing of the thin plastic glue and add in chopped up sprue pieces and let them melt into it to create a more goopy mix. There's a few videos on youtube about using and making it.

Yup, I use Loc-Tite gel superglue and I'm really partial to it. I've been threatening to make a batch of sprue goo, as it happens. I just have to get a small glass jar to that end, because I have some Tamiya cement I got for that very purpose on hand.

On 8/7/2021 at 4:00 PM, MaskedRiderChris said:

Yup, I use Loc-Tite gel superglue and I'm really partial to it. I've been threatening to make a batch of sprue goo, as it happens. I just have to get a small glass jar to that end, because I have some Tamiya cement I got for that very purpose on hand.

While Loc-Tite and such are good, with the exception of the time the local ones were out, I just get the small tubes at the dollar tree. Same stuff, much cheaper option there

On 8/8/2021 at 7:10 PM, SotF said:

While Loc-Tite and such are good, with the exception of the time the local ones were out, I just get the small tubes at the dollar tree. Same stuff, much cheaper option there

Heh, really?! Duly noted, and thank you!