so I have an old metal large earth elemental

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes. The P65 range was discontinued when Bones were introduced. It's cheaper for Reaper to make Bones, then it is to make the P65 line. Also, cheaper for us (consumers) to buy as well.

• Like 2
6 hours ago, The Steve said:

More asking after whether or not my golem is lead or not.

The P -65 range does have a bit of lead in it. I think the name (p65) is a code or something for lead. One of the reason at the time, why the p65 range was cheaper then similar metal lineups (Dark Heaven Legends). That elemental originally came in DHL, The price of tin keeps rising & at the time the P65 offered the figure at a cheaper price. Of course Bones made it even cheaper, at the sacrifice of metal & weight of the figure.

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, The Steve said:

so there is no way to know 😞?

If it's P65 it's a lead alloy, though the exact content isn't known. 

If you need to, you can get a lead test kit at a hardware store for under ten bucks. 

• Like 4
34 minutes ago, Heisler said:

There isn’t anything in it that’s going to hurt you including the lead.

Well, unless he decided to bite a chunk of it, but I think the choking hazard is more of a threat then the lead itself.

Yes, it's a safe thing to handle. Throw a primer coat from a quality automotive spray brand like Dupicolor or Testor's auto range & you'll even be more protected from the metal,

• Like 1
59 minutes ago, The Steve said:

More that I am terrified of LEAD ROT 😞

IIRC there were specific conditions under which lead rot occurs, involving sealed containers and acid based cardboard, like those boxes miniatures used to come in during the 80's.  We've had a few discussions about it on the forum, if you care to search.  It's a fairly rare occurrence these days.   Enjoy your mountain of metal. 

• Like 3

You can usually see if the miniature is a made in a lead alloy:
Lead is duller and darker in tone than tin. Also it will be more bendy since lead is much more soft.

If you drag the mini along a piece of paper, tin / pewter / white metal will not leave any coloured mark, while lead alloys will often leave a grey mark.
if you handle bare lead minis, you will often get a grey residue on your fingers.

*I am not a metallurgist, but* I experience this when prepping lead metal minis.

Edited by Maledrakh
  • Like 1

In normal conditions lead rot is not going to be an issue. If it is stored in an area with at least some air flow that's enough to protect it, depends somewhat on what its packaged in. The link below is a very detailed article on lead rot from the Navy in regards to protecting is exhibition models, many of which are old enough to use castings with 100% lead content as opposed to an alloy that includes lead. Its a fascinating read and goes into what to do and what not to do (well sort of, you need to read the full article). 

Lead Rot

• Like 4