Shadow Dragon

Cassu

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Zowie!  I mean, if I was tasked with painting a shadow dragon, my default mode would be, "Well, I guess prime it black and do some highlights on it or something to bring the details out," but this one is so *vibrant* -- and still reads visually as "shadow" thanks to the dominant and (mostly) cool palette.  Beautiful work!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Similar Content

• By Cassu
      More paint slinging practice! Working on a Bones Shadow Dragon.

• By Arc 724
      SHADOW DRAGON 77108

--------------------------------

• By lexomatic
      I'm playing Hoard of the Dragon Queen, and apparently we need a dragon. So I'm painting the Shadow Dragon that's been in my "Box of 20" unpainted minis as a blue dragon. Last night I boiled, cleaned and glued the wings (because why not? Oh, ok... THAT's why not) and slopped on blue liner/medium.
      I will probably slop on some more liner to actually line.
      Colors I'm planning on using.
      -Interference Blue (Yes, this dragon has been Pingo'd).
      Skin:Dragon Blue (!), Frost Blue, Blue Flame, Ghost White, Magic Blue (VGC), Denim Blue
      Plates/Bone: Handle Wood (SW), Bone White (VGC), Pearl White, Creamy Ivory.

That may be more than I actually use, though.
      No mold line prep.

• By Pingo
      This is the third of a series of five dragons I painted in the last two months. (Well, technically one of them isn't a dragon.) It's the Shadow Dragon, one of the two smaller (only about elephant size) dragons from the first Bones Kickstarter set, "Here Be Dragons," sculpted by Sandra Garrity.

I painted it up not quite knowing where I was going, starting with aquatic thoughts, adding stripes, and then going over the cliff into total madness.

WIP thread here.

• By Pingo
      So.

I tried painting some minis without WIPs and found myself having a hard time keeping track of what and how much I had done. So I'm back, although these may be sporadic and really slow to update. We'll see.

Anyhow, after painting a lot of tiny figures for the January Bones Beauty Pageant, I decided to move in the opposite direction and tackle some of the big figures from Bones I to clear out room for Bones II.

So I am painting dragons. Five of them, if you count the Frost Wyrm. Each one gets its own thread, though, since I don't know how I'm going to progress through them.

I'm painting each dragon up as inspiration takes me.  I thought this one, 77108, the Shadow Dragon, looked slightly aquatic, like a river deity.  So I decided to paint it up in cool, watery shades.  Maybe like some kind of frog or sea creature.  I don't know yet.

Anyhow, first I put on a base coat of Reaper's Brown Liner, the paint which sticks to Bones like gangbusters, thanks to Buglips for the discovery, and then a wash of medium blue mixed from Phthalocyanine Blue and a little Titanium White.

I don't expect the final dragon to be straight blue like this, but I needed to give all the dragons a distinct color scheme at the start since none of their wings are glued on yet and I need to keep them straight.

The other dragons I'm painting concurrently are Deathsleet, Ebonwrath, the Fire Dragon, and the Frost Wyrm.