• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Some observations:

--When painting a mini with mostly brown or grey, try not to expect it to 'pop'. Those colors to me just do not have the same punch as other colors - granted, those are usually ones used most and the subject and nature calls for it... if used, do not expect it to 'pop' visually if that is the majority of the color used. As you progress, you can pick up tips here and from videos to make your mini 'pop' in other ways.

--Speaking of pop, your red hair really becomes a focal point... that 'pops'. That becomes the focal point... most redheads have a more brown/orange color set. There are some walk thru on read head on this side and other videos out there. Reaper does have a redhead triad that you can use as a guide. That said, maybe the more dramatic color was what the mini needed - maybe it is the warpaint for the tribe, or badge of honor, or does the tribe she is from dye their hair a deep crimson when going hunting/war...

--The purple transitions on that lower feather look great. Maybe more blending (like the purple) or washing (to bring out the barbs on blue one) those smaller elements. If painting an animal, or part of one, look up some pictures on line as a guide.

--Great work on the base, very creative. I always struggle with them. One thing is that it looks like you have some of the base grey showing and some of it painted green. Maybe try to get a full base coat of paint down for consistency.

Great job for second mini!

• Like 5

Thanks everyone for the reactions and suggestions!  I think I need to watch some more videos on blending and dry brushing as both concepts have been difficult for me to grasp/implement.

@Glitterwolf, the wash shading.  Outside the hair and a little bit the chainmail it all just seemed to run off the mini.

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, Toben said:

Thanks everyone for the reactions and suggestions!  I think I need to watch some more videos on blending and dry brushing as both concepts have been difficult for me to grasp/implement.

@Glitterwolf, the wash shading.  Outside the hair and a little bit the chainmail it all just seemed to run off the mini.

Hm too much wash? Too thin?

Do you paint with acrylics? If you use oils and then a wash it will run off.

• Like 1

I think you did a very good job on her, especially if this is only the second one you've ever done. 

You may have had some problems, but there's a lot you did very well on. You painted 'within the lines' which is a lot harder than some people might think with figures this size, so you've got good brush control. You did some pretty cool basing, which most people don't do on their second ever figure, and some people don't do ever. I agree with what Golldan said about painting the base.

If you really like it, get a second copy of this figure and paint it again a few years down the road; it'll be a good way to see how much you've improved.

Keep it up!

• Like 4