• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well done!

Undead are my favorites!

Some resources, more can be easily found by searching for painting fantasy miniatures in youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGU3F4ZG2DM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeiPg7TB_DY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y93xpgeRev4

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
5 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Well done!

Undead are my favorites!

Some resources, more can be easily found by searching for painting fantasy miniatures in youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGU3F4ZG2DM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeiPg7TB_DY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y93xpgeRev4

Thank you! I find I usually struggle with painting metallic areas on minis--trim, weapon, and even armor! True metallic metal feels flat, and non-metallic metal feels just a little bit out of reach. I'm going to take your suggestion, and take a trip down a YouTube rabbit hole, and practice on some minis I don't care as much about.

Thank you all for the kind words! 

• Like 3
27 minutes ago, billeecats said:

Thank you! I find I usually struggle with painting metallic areas on minis--trim, weapon, and even armor! True metallic metal feels flat, and non-metallic metal feels just a little bit out of reach. I'm going to take your suggestion, and take a trip down a YouTube rabbit hole, and practice on some minis I don't care as much about.

Thank you all for the kind words! 

One of my little tricks with True Metallics.

If you go for a Steel look, apply a coat of blue first and then apply thin layers of metal.

If you go for a Bronze look, apply a coat of Green first and then apply thin layers of metal.

If you go for a Gold look, apply a coat of Brown fisrt and then apply thin layers of metal.

Highlight and Shade as normal.

Also...the metallics that give great coverage IMHO are from Scale 75.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

One of my little tricks with True Metallics.

If you go for a Steel look, apply a coat of blue first and then apply thin layers of metal.

If you go for a Bronze look, apply a coat of Green first and then apply thin layers of metal.

If you go for a Gold look, apply a coat of Brown fisrt and then apply thin layers of metal.

Highlight and Shade as normal.

Also...the metallics that give great coverage IMHO are from Scale 75.

That's a great tip! I switched to Vallejo metals recently, and I do like those better than the game color metallics I was using before. I have a hard time shading true metals without making them lose their sheen. Do you use inks to shade? Or just thinned paints? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
5 hours ago, billeecats said:

That's a great tip! I switched to Vallejo metals recently, and I do like those better than the game color metallics I was using before. I have a hard time shading true metals without making them lose their sheen. Do you use inks to shade? Or just thinned paints? 

If you like Vallejo, switch to the Vallejo Air. The pigment is much finer and easier to shade or layer. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Just now, KruleBear said:

If you like Vallejo, switch to the Vallejo Air. The pigment is much finer and easier to shade or layer. 

Most of my current paints are Reaper MSP except the Vallejo Metal Colors line for my metallic paints. I'll give the Vallejo Air metallics a shot, thanks for the tip! 

I wonder how much difference there is between the Vallejo Air metallics and the Vallejo Metal Color metallics (which are also marketed as "airbrush colors"). It's fascinating to me how the different paint lines have subtle differences in formulation. 

• Like 2

Reaper are my go to with a mix of Vallejo. Vallejo Air is my preference for metallics. I have a batch of the Scale 75, but have yet to try them. 

Edited by KruleBear
  • Like 2
19 hours ago, billeecats said:

I got the Scale 75 metallic sets so I shade and highlight with lighter/darker metallic paints.

When painting chainmail I will use a black wash because that creeps so well into the rings of that type of armor.

• Like 2