Getting to Know You, August 2021

On 8/6/2021 at 3:58 PM, TaleSpinner said:

Weekend Question
August 7-8:  Are you going to ReaperCon, and if so, are you ready?
Alternate Question: What are you working on now?  Post pictures, please!

No, I won’t be going to ReaperCon.  Some year, perhaps…

I got together with my son this weekend to work on scenery.  He was working on a few terrain bases for the next Stargrave game, and I was finishing up a couple of fantasy game enclosures I’d started months ago, plus a prisoner cage for a particular Ghost Archipelago scenario that may get recycled for a convention.

BCCAA677-309A-4994-836C-75CB2BFDAC44.jpeg.d67433859ef4550262caa97f77ce1690.jpeg

We then deployed the foam cutter for a while. He was carving some hills, and I got a start on the Ultimate Dungeon Terrain which someone had pointed me to on YouTube.

00407449-F36E-4D03-8D4D-185127C9E95C.jpeg.0adced798cf9e51d098268d959262277.jpeg

So, not a bad weekend…

• Like 15
  • Replies 560
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

14 hours ago, Thoramel said:

1752943133_IMG_20210808_152451099_HDR2.thumb.jpg.f337e5ea46d5e8a3b5d0561b0c3e3ad5.jpg

SQUEEEEEE...two of mine made the on deck pile!!!!  :bday:

Yes I am going to ReaperCon.  I am still getting my classes prepared.  I am teaching "Sculpting Nature" again this year, and adding "Forged in Putty: Sculpting Weapons", "Miniature Barber: Sculpting Hair and Fur", and "Move Those Joints: Reposing Miniatures".  It is for those last three new classes that I still need to develop my handouts and class materials.

It is starting to look like I won't have a painting for the Open this year; too much to do between now and then.  Maybe I will just paint one of my DS dogs up and call it good for this year.  I do like my new Cocker Spaniel. 

What AM I working on?  Mostly getting the dragons I did printed and ready for casting:

image.thumb.png.b7bdce4af92c14fd3b7c92b4975795d8.png

Question coming soon...

• Like 15
48 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

SQUEEEEEE...two of mine made the on deck pile!!!!  :bday:

Yes I am going to ReaperCon.  I am still getting my classes prepared.  I am teaching "Sculpting Nature" again this year, and adding "Forged in Putty: Sculpting Weapons", "Miniature Barber: Sculpting Hair and Fur", and "Move Those Joints: Reposing Miniatures".  It is for those last three new classes that I still need to develop my handouts and class materials.

It is starting to look like I won't have a painting for the Open this year; too much to do between now and then.  Maybe I will just paint one of my DS dogs up and call it good for this year.  I do like my new Cocker Spaniel. 

What AM I working on?  Mostly getting the dragons I did printed and ready for casting:

image.thumb.png.b7bdce4af92c14fd3b7c92b4975795d8.png

Question coming soon...

You'll be happy to know, the 2 figures I took out of my Bones V box to use at RCon are both your sculpts. :winkthumbs:

6 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

August 9: What is the most disastrous experiment you have ever tried in the hobby?

Hmmmm, I'll have to get back to yah on this one. Pretty sure it involved paint or glue.

• Like 10
50 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

August 9: What is the most disastrous experiment you have ever tried in the hobby?

Trying to sculpt a base for the bones version of Cinder. It won't stand on it's own and I thought I'd sculpt a nice heavy base out of green stuff to keep her upright. At the time I'd never tried working with green stuff, never based anything, and wasn't really thinking about the real nature of the problem (the legs are too slim to hold the dragon upright). So now what I have is a poorly based dragon that stays on its feet but has a tendency to bend all the way over until its nose is touching the ground. Every once in a while I get it down and try to think of a solution, but haven't come up with anything yet. 

• Like 8
52 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

Probably the first painted mini? It had all the classic problems: moldlines, un-thinned paint globbed on. Used the only brush I had for drybrushing as well as painting.

A close second is probably the first time using a dremel to remove a broccoli base. The base came off fine, no blood was shed, but somehow a stray motion of my hand got the cutting wheel too close to a thin spot on the sword and cut it off. Was a paint to join back together.

• Like 9
49 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

A few universal ones involving a paint bottle quickly followed by excessive splatter next to nearly completed paint job. Close second, getting parts of me glued to something else, including other parts of me.

But a more unique one would be in my very early days in the hobby in the mid-late 90s. I wasn't equipped to pin tiny parts on my Battletech miniature, but I did have a soldering iron... I discovered that day that it's not only solder tin that has a low melting temperature. Though I did manage to attach that mech arm to the body, it also shrunk and bulged a bit, so looks like it has a tumour instead of a normal joint.

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

August 6th Fav Exercise: 

Running - any strength training is just so that I can run further without hurting myself. 

I put  on a Podcast or Zombies Run!  game and set out.  unfortunately it is fire season again in Colorado - so I have returned to treadmills. 

When the Air Quality says "Dangerous for sensitive groups"  thats me. - eyes, throat, breathing all become painful. 

Weekend Question
August 7-8:  Are you going to ReaperCon, and if so, are you ready?
Alternate Question: What are you working on now?  Post pictures, please!

Yes, but not ready I have selected 2 dioramas and 2 painters entries - the latest diorama needs the most work, and  the dragon for painters needs minor basing changes. 

I have no idea how to pack them for air travel. 

• Like 7
On 8/6/2021 at 4:58 PM, TaleSpinner said:

Weekend Question
August 7-8:  Are you going to ReaperCon, and if so, are you ready?
Alternate Question: What are you working on now?  Post pictures, please!

Yeah, nah.  Some year I may make it but definitely not this one.  That whole border crossing thing is problematic currently.

As for what I've been working on:
stand.thumb.jpg.f8a6c1a7df83610cca33fd476ba8c3dd.jpg

This is why my shoulder is currently too sore to paint. Hammer in the nails from below foe the stringer hangers with no room for me and less for swinging the hammer was a killer.....

1 hour ago, TaleSpinner said:

I've been pretty lucky with my experiments so far.  I mean, sure I've cut myself, and glued things to things they weren't meant to be glued to, and the occasional simple green bath for some painting that went awry, but nothing too bad.
About the worst was trying to learn to 3D print in resin, and not realizing that the Maroon resin I'd randomly picked has WAAAAY different required settings that the standard grey, blue, etc.  Wasted half a bottle of resin.  Never did go back to the maroon....

• Like 10

Nothing springs to mind, I worry far too much about messing up my minis to really experiment on them.

• Like 8

I've had the standard glue and blood failures, but the worst has been trying to get friends involved in the hobby.  A few give it a curious look, some try painting a figure or playing a game, a couple have gone as far as buying figures and paints but ultimately the interest doesn't stick.

• Like 8
2 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

A very thick resin pour. I did it all in one go. Im glad i didnt start a fire or melt the figure. It is still sticky.  But even so, earned a silver and silver monster award at reapercon.. go figure.

• Like 8
2 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

To buy minis from someone on ebay.  Got miniatures I would never need rather than the ones shown.

• Like 1
  • Sad 5
3 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

I like to paint and bake in the winter. The oven for cookies goes off every 12 minutes, so it's a nice excuse to get up and stretch. One day, I hit upon the realization that the oven vents out of the back burner and it's nice and warm. I decided that it would be the prime place to dry those bases I was working on. I placed a youghurt container lid with the bases on it on the burner to dry. I came back in 12 minutes and the bases were melted to the lid which was melted to the burner. What a mess! (The cookies were delicious, though.) 

• Like 8
  • Confused 1
3 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Trying to sculpt my forum avatar as a mini before I really knew anything about sculpting.  I just kept plugging away at it, doing things I thought should work, but it just kept getting worse and worse. 

Finally gave up and pitched it.  I now know why many of the things I was trying to do didn't work and/or better ways to do them. but I haven't had the guts to try again since. 

• Like 8