Getting to Know You, August 2021

Happily, nothing too serious, as in “no emergency room trip required”. In addition to the usual litany of parts lost or broken, paints or glues that did not dry, and the occasional small slice or puncture, I do some home casting, so there’s the odd heat related “ouch” as well. 

• Like 8

• Replies 560
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

August 9: What is the most disastrous experiment you have ever tried in the hobby?

Thankfully, I haven't had many "disastrous" experiments. I guess the only one that sticks out was either my first three minis that came with Reaper's Learn to Paint Kit, or the first time I tried to clearcoat.

• Like 7

Way back machine time: back in the 80's when I was full of youthful exuberance and my pockets were quite empty, I decided to carve my own black dragon mini out of wood.  During a particularly difficult part of the carving, I slipped with the knife and it, being razor sharp, passed right through the tip of my thumb.  I was able to tape the parts together enough and hide it so that I didn't need to tell my dad how dumb I was.  You can still see the scar 35 years later.  Of course that pales in comparison to what I did to my ring finger of that hand in a table saw later that same year, but that was for a different hobby.

image.png.1ca1aad56849805d229ac9cd8127b358.png

• Like 11

3 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

August 9: What is the most disastrous experiment you have ever tried in the hobby?

Uhm ... I'm pretty sure I have /something/ that qualifies, but I couldn't tell you what it is right off the top of my head.

I know I have some Travesties that were intended to be bases. 😕

• Like 8

On 8/6/2021 at 6:37 AM, TaleSpinner said:

August 6: Do you have a favorite/preferred type of exercise?

I try to ride my exercise bike 3 times/week so it wins by volume.

On 8/6/2021 at 2:58 PM, TaleSpinner said:

Weekend Question
August 7-8:  Are you going to ReaperCon, and if so, are you ready?
Alternate Question: What are you working on now?  Post pictures, please!

No.

I recently finished my summer exchange minis and mailed them off. A rather poor photo of them:

Exchange2021_3.thumb.JPG.9648f5b6d82b37835973b1f27099863b.JPG

A month or so ago I decided that I needed to work through the pile of games I have accumulated.  Rather than painting I am working on this:

Dragon-Quest-XI.jpg

I think I'm about 70 hours in...

4 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

I sealed a bunch of Bones 1 minis with the Krylon I had been using on metal and they went tacky.  I eventually salvaged them but it was not fun.  Now I just use my airbrush so I don't have to worry about surprise reactions.

• Like 10

5 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

So far?  Cleaning up my first Bones USA Lysette.  I tried using heat to remove a mold line on her sword - which melted the sword.  In the process of trying to fit another weapon to her hand, it popped clean off - and I have no idea where it went.

I have a plan for how to recover.  This may also end poorly.  Bring popcorn.

• Like 12

5 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Tried using a contrast paint over a silver spray undercoat and then a white layer paint for a stripe at the top of the helmet. Didn't like how the two looked together and cleaning up each colour was a pain so I tried to lightly remove  the white paint, ended up accidentally stripping it right down to the bare metal. Had to reset after that, decided to use brush-on white stynylrez as a primer since I couldn't use the spray primer, then used white paint and contrast paint immediately after. Was much easier to clean up the detail that way, and it turned out better.

• Like 8

7 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

I once needed a specific shade of blue wash to bring out the shallow details on some Infinity PanO minis. Couldn't find exactly the right shade so I mixed some Army Painter blue shade and Greenstuff World blue wash. What I didn't realize was that the former was water based, the latter was alcohol based and mixing the two results in a globby, gooey mess that eventually solidified and was an absolute pain to remove from the delicate human scaled mini that was constructed from 12 teeny tiny bits of metal :rolleyes:

• Like 9

11 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Aside from the usual cuts and such, not too much, really.

I did try baking some sculpy bases and ended up burning them rather badly. The kitchen did not smell very good for a while.

I haven't tried that since, because I'm not sure what I did wrong.

• Like 7

9 hours ago, Corsair said:

Trying to strip paint from a plastic mini with acetone...

40 minutes ago, redambrosia said:

Left something plastic in acetone too long and melted it. It was a gross squishy mess.

But it got the paint off right?

RIGHT?!

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

15 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Two things come to mind. First wasn't really an experiment just a dumb accident. Using a dremel to drill a hole in a metal mini the bit caught and yanked the mini out of my hand. Spinning very quickly it banged up my hand a bit, wrapped the mini in my knit sweater I was wearing tearing a hole in it, broke the bit and then caused me to stab my stomach with the stub. Painful and ruined a drill bit and old comfy sweater. Took a matter of a second or so.

Second was funnier. Tried using a piece of wire in the Dremel as a paint mixer for GW pots. The wire folded under speed, scooped almost all of the paint out of the pot and splattered a streak on everything within 6 feet. Luckily my body blocked the majority of the room so only coloured one corner.

• Like 10

On 8/6/2021 at 1:58 PM, TaleSpinner said:

Weekend Question
August 7-8:  Are you going to ReaperCon, and if so, are you ready?
Alternate Question: What are you working on now?  Post pictures, please!

No plan for going to ReaperCon, although a part of me wonders if the same thing that happened in 2018 and 2019 will happen again - where at least half a dozen people think I'll be there.

Alternate question:

Yeah, a few things, but this is the main one that's been seeing work....

P1030399-3x2.thumb.jpg.637391e16aa423d7e21ef2febecd0369.jpg

P1030394.thumb.jpg.1676153b4db525a92e4e3855c7737f4b.jpg

20210803_192517.thumb.jpg.8ddce81ac7fa16e26d07fb0545553313.jpg

15 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Can't think of anything that jumps out, so I'll just go with "tried to finish something off".  "Just one more tweak" hits hard!

• Like 10