Getting to Know You, August 2021

1 hour ago, Glitterwolf said:

Obviously starting with this hobby, thinking it wouldn't be that expensive...

I still use the words "it's still cheaper than autocross, and way cheaper than rallying" to my parents if they try to bring up the subject... :devil:

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

• Replies 560
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

33 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

August 10: If you could have any exotic animal as a pet, which would it be?

multicoloured-squirrel1.jpg

poster_a52589e599b14d1392c0b1a49e3820e3.

Malabar giant squirrel, also known as the Indian giant squirrel. Their bodies measure 36in from head to tail – double the size of their grey relatives – and they can leap 20ft between trees.

• Like 11

34 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

A Mantis Shrimp, mostly inspired by Ze Franks YouTube video on them.

mantisshrimp-467993194.thumb.jpg.f9d548ac07606011a9e3098b7a452fcc.jpg

31 minutes ago, Xiwo Xerase said:

A housecat.

Every housecat is exotic - or, at least, that’s what they want you to think.

Some are more exotic than others.....

DSCN6401.thumb.JPG.d2f970ff08c6bcc7f30c0e69b4510f6f.jpeg.48e780f2e671cb32af522d38e54de2af.jpeg

I'd like to point out that she had that on for about 15 seconds, then proceeded to attack it for about an hour and then finally buried it in her litter box ::o: 

• Like 2
  • Haha 11

55 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

In my youth I had several types of Lizards, Frogs, Newts and Turtles/Tortoises.

Maybe something like that again.

But if I could have ANY...without problems??

A Riverwolf ( Giant Otter)

Schermafbeelding 2021-08-10 143451.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

No thanks, living with cats and dogs is exotic enough for me. If I need weirder animals in my life I'll move back down to the farm and start raising livestock.

The following is a bit of a downer so I'm putting it behind a spoiler:

Spoiler

In all seriousness though, I used to work at a wildlife rehab clinic and about a third of all the animals we got in there were exotic "pets" that were dumped off by their owners. Typically they were horribly maimed (bobcats being declawed, skunks with scent glands removed, owls with clipped wings that never flew, tortoises stolen from the desert and horribly deformed from malnutrition, you name it) or at some point had attacked their owner (pulling a few teeth from a black bear cub does not mean that it can't try and kill you when it's a 300 pound adult).

In addition, long ago I had the misfortune of being part of enforcement concerning CITES violations in my state and the sheer amount of animals that die to get just one specimen to market is sickening. And a lot of those animals were bound for normal pet stores who claim to have, or have access to, captive breeding programs. Something as simple as a tropical fish for your tank could have resulted in dozens of that species being removed from their ecosystem, and dying in transit, just to get that one survivor in an aquarium. And that one survivor really should be in the wild contributing their genetic makeup to their species. There's a lot more terrible things I could go into concerning what I've seen related to the illegal animal trade, but it's a bit too early to get that preachy. Suffice it to say I'm a big fan of leaving undomesticated animals in the wild.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, Thoramel said:

No thanks, living with cats and dogs is exotic enough for me. If I need weirder animals in my life I'll move back down to the farm and start raising livestock.

The following is a bit of a downer so I'm putting it behind a spoiler:

Reveal hidden contents

In all seriousness though, I used to work at a wildlife rehab clinic and about a third of all the animals we got in there were exotic "pets" that were dumped off by their owners. Typically they were horribly maimed (bobcats being declawed, skunks with scent glands removed, owls with clipped wings that never flew, tortoises stolen from the desert and horribly deformed from malnutrition, you name it) or at some point had attacked their owner (pulling a few teeth from a black bear cub does not mean that it can't try and kill you when it's a 300 pound adult).

In addition, long ago I had the misfortune of being part of enforcement concerning CITES violations in my state and the sheer amount of animals that die to get just one specimen to market is sickening. And a lot of those animals were bound for normal pet stores who claim to have, or have access to, captive breeding programs. Something as simple as a tropical fish for your tank could have resulted in dozens of that species being removed from their ecosystem, and dying in transit, just to get that one survivor in an aquarium. And that one survivor really should be in the wild contributing their genetic makeup to their species. There's a lot more terrible things I could go into concerning what I've seen related to the illegal animal trade, but it's a bit too early to get that preachy. Suffice it to say I'm a big fan of leaving undomesticated animals in the wild.

I'm with @Thoramel. I miss my farm animals. I'd like to try having a pig, because I've heard they are really smart. I've almost stolen piglets from the trailers at work before, except I knew how much trouble I'd get into. For the record, there's no such thing as a mini pig that you can have as a pet. Babe is a lie--they all get to be huge market pigs. I'll admit, I hadn't seen a market hog until I was a teenager and thought they were dog-sized. 

I had little bottle calves growing up and they were so much fun. We fed them in the morning before school and we'd get on the bus with crusty pants, because the calves would slime you. (Our parents really should've bought us coveralls.) They would be so tame you could sit on them. Mom used to ride the milk cow down the road when she was little, until grandpa got too embarassed and bought her a horse. I've always wanted a riding cow; that's pretty exotic I think. 

• Like 8

2 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

I was never that much of a pet person (I have a hard enough time taking care of myself :poke:) but my wife is so we already have 5 very exotic cats.
At most, it might be interesting to have a breed of cat not common around these parts.
A bird might be neat, but I don't think adding birds to a house full of cats is generally a good idea.....

1 hour ago, Glitterwolf said:

In my youth I had several types of Lizards, Frogs, Newts and Turtles/Tortoises.

Maybe something like that again.

But if I could have ANY...without problems??

A Riverwolf ( Giant Otter)

Schermafbeelding 2021-08-10 143451.jpg

Random fact, our local major junior hockey team is called the Sea Dogs
220px-Saint_John_Sea_Dogs.svg.png

• Like 8

3 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Salt water tropical fish, anemones and a giant clam or two.  But they are so hard to keep properly in a home tank, it's cruel (and probably illegal now) to take them from the ocean.  As noted above many die before one makes it to a home tank (where it does not live a long natural life). 

14 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

I did try baking some sculpy bases and ended up burning them rather badly. The kitchen did not smell very good for a while.

I haven't tried that since, because I'm not sure what I did wrong.

Likely overbaked at too high a temp.  It does not take long for it to turn brown. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1