Getting to Know You, August 2021

• Replies 560
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

August 10: If you could have any exotic animal as a pet, which would it be?

A fennec.  Because the mischief band (aka the Malamutes we're getting, who are already playfully pre-named "Trouble" and "Demon", and we've jokingly added in a third, uncertain breed (other than "big", we haven't decided) named "Bandit") is going to need a ringleader.

If somehow a fennec isn't possible, I'll choose Swift Fox.

• Like 7

7 hours ago, Xiwo Xerase said:

A housecat.

Every housecat is exotic - or, at least, that’s what they want you to think.

Same answer.

If it weren't for my weird work schedules (and the possibility to be away for days at a time), I would so love to own a cat or two.

• Like 8

9 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Huhn.

I mean. I have cats. They're pretty exotic, just as themselves.

I'd actually love to have a Savannah, but.. they're.... tricky. Legal, if far enough from their wild cousins, but.. tricky.

Anything at all, no repercussions... Snake. One of the big pythons. I love snakes, but I don't have the facilities to keep one.

And the issues with tropical fish is one of the reasons I won't keep exotics; if they're tricky to breed in captivity, I'm not interested. Besides, guppies are cute and easy to keep happy.

• Like 9

12 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Ma'al Drakar.

Serious answer: I agree with the leave wild animals wild crowd.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

The ladies in my life were talking about this one night and said they would love a tiger or lion. I then reminded them of what the litterbox would be like.

• Haha 11

2 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

Ma'al Drakar.

Serious answer: I agree with the leave wild animals wild crowd.

I’d only ever get an owl if I was a dnd style ranger or druid. And then I’d have a bear friend, an elephant friend, an owl friend… a whole zoo’s worth of friends!!

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

August 11: What’s the worst job you’ve ever had?

Derek and Clive... (Look it up.)

Cleaning out blocked sanitary pipes on ship. In the end you just have to roll up your sleeve and get your hand up there... I have vivid memories of doing this on one ship while the sweet old Captain's wife watched myself and the Third Engineer and myself getting hot, dirty and cross. "Goodness, whatever is the problem?" She asked. "Well Mum," replied the 3/E, doing his best to be tactful; "The problem is that we have three inch pipe on this ship, but there are people on board with six inch ars*h*les!" 

• Like 2
  • Haha 12

13 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

I waited tables in New York City for a summer one during college. Was horrible. Back then, New Yorkers were very demanding (maybe still are?). I ran my butt off. Taught me a valuable lesson though: always be nice to your server, they might be having a bad day because of other customers and long shifts... and if you send a spicy Bloody Mary back three times because it isn't spicy enough, you might just end up with half a bottle of Tabasco sauce in it... 😇

• Like 5
  • Haha 8

1 hour ago, TaleSpinner said:

Official job?  I was a dishwasher/lackey at a seafood restaurant for a summer. Terrible manager (the owner's daughter). By the time I left after 4 months I was the 3rd most senior employee, so crazy turnover.  And I got to do all the gross and menial jobs.

Nothing better than cleaning out the industrial grease trap in the seafood restaurant on a hot morning in July. :zombie:

Unofficial jobs?  Well, I grew up on a farm, so......

• Like 11