Getting to Know You, August 2021

3 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

August 11: What’s the worst job you’ve ever had?

I forget the name, but it was a small industrial pastry plant. I was there mostly as an extra to replace people during summer.

It was a high pace manual labour type of job, with minimal training and tasks that a while to get used to to keep up with everyone. So on occasion, I couldn't keep up. And instead of having someone help out for a few minutes, that person would stand by and yell at me to hurry up.

Work planning was poor. I kept getting switched from station to station, sometimes overworked, other times fully functional, and sometime with nothing to do and have to wait for them to find me some tasks.

I also burned my forearm on the door (outside face) of a giant oven. Something I believed was insulated on that side. And I spilled a heavy barrel of hot chocolate filling on my shoes. Luckily not burning hot, but my shoes were now infused in cacao.

I didn't last more than a few days. Probably for everyone's best interest.

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Like 10

• Replies 560
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, TaleSpinner said:

One summer, I worked in the local hospital.  I was supposed to help with migrating data from one system to another.

I believe what happened was:

• Executive wanted a data entry position
  • My immediate manager wanted a way to complete the migration faster and more accurately.  And I had enough programming knowledge to be useful.

After spending time helping my manager, I was told to just do mind-numbing, boring manual entry until they decided to let me go before the end of the summer.

I wonder if they ever finished the data migration.

• Like 9

2 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

I've had some rotters. It's by the grace of God some of them haven't killed me, mostly sketchy safety at labour jobs. 

The one I hated the most was being a sample lady at Costco. I did it on saturdays when I was in college. It was unsanitary because we lacked the facilities to clean anything properly. One time I had my table set up next to the leak in the roof. I also really am not a people person. The Costco people didn't respect us, either. I got really sick of them searching my backpack, so I dumped a pile of feminine supplies in the bottom. 

• Like 10

41 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

Nothing too horrible.

I had an evening job in a chicken processing plant. The work itself wasn't too bad, although scooping piles of slimy chicken out of big vats of brine has left me with a lifelong dislike of handling raw chicken, mostly it was just very lonely, not sure if it was because I was new or the only part-timer or what, but I was instantly frozen out by everyone else that worked in that department.

Luckily another job came along so I was only there for a few months.

There was another job that pretty much turned out to be a scam, but I was only there for a few hours (and didn't get paid) so I don't think that counts.

Basically, I got a job that was supposed to be doing customer service in a call centre, but when I went in for a "training day", turned out it was a place that did cold calling and my training was doing an unpaid shift while the supervisors spat on people who were walking past the office window.

When it hit lunchtime I walked out and never returned.

• Like 6
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Overall, every job I've had has had it's good and bad points, but none of them have been truly bad.  So I have to go by the worst manager I ever had.  This was for a company that employed a lot of high school and college students. 

Back in my late 20s, I got promoted to a facilities manager position during a round of layoffs, frankly because I made less than the guy I replaced, but this required me transferring to a different location. 

The general manager of that location was a nice guy, but he was a crappy manager.  Here's just one example of how bad.   We had a shift supervisor who just wasn't cutting it.  She had been a good cashier, but couldn't handle the extra responsibility of supervisor.*   So he decided to demote her back to cashier.   He told the girl who wrote the schedule to do that, she agreed, but told him she wasn't going to post the schedule until he talked to the girl he was demoting. He agreed.  The schedule was ready for over five days, but didn't get posted until the last minute because he hadn't talked to the girl yet.  The schedule finally got posted because it couldn't be held off any longer. We were supposed to keep an eye out for the girl being demoted, so he could talk to her before she read the schedule.  She arrives on site to work her last shift as supervisor (unbeknownst to her), and he slips out a side door, jumps in his car and drives off.  While I'm looking for him to direct the girl to him, he calls the schedule writer from his car phone that he just remembered something he had to do, and we needed to tell the girl about her demotion for him. 

Unsurprisingly, the girl quit on the spot, and left in tears.  Then he blamed us for her quitting, because we obviously didn't break the news to her right.  

This is just one of many things he did in the year I was there.  When he fired me for not so tactfully calling him out on another incident, I wrote him a polite and factual letter outlining how crappy of manager he was with multiple examples. The letter pissed him off so badly that when my next employer called him for a reference, he committed a gross violation of California labor law.  Since I was good friends with the general manager of the location I used to work at, the two of us approached the owner asking how this was going to be dealt with, or if I was going to have to sue.  The company altered my employment records to show that I had never worked at his location, just the one with my friend. 

---------------
*TBH, I think her struggles with being a supervisor  had more to do with working for him than her ability.  Heck, the only reason I survived a year with the guy was my military leadership and management training.  

• Like 8

26 years with the Illinois Department of Corrections, worked around hardened criminals, stabbed twice, scalded 4 times, numerous broken bones, back and spine, etc.

• Like 8
  • Sad 3

I dunno, I always find a way to make work fun. What vector of 'worst'? Hardest work, worst working conditions, worst customers, etc. There's always something about every job.

There was one job I had briefly, cleaning airplane maintenance hangers for a small cleaning company. My drummer at the time got me the job (he loved cleaning). At one point they had me cleaning the hanger floor, which had a ton of oil and metal shavings, but didn't tell me how to clean it. After struggling with it for an hour or so, I went into an office, shut off the light, and took a nap for the rest of the shift. I don't mind working with proper training, but if you put no effort into me, don't expect me to put out effort for you!

But we had fun after that until we were fired. Turns out the other two guys I was working with were also napping in other offices regularly :D 

• Like 8

4 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Over the years, I've been working at this same place, just in different positions. Probably dishwashing. It's not fun, it gets really hot, and I didn't really like the guy I had to work with. I still don't really care for him.

4 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

I waited tables in New York City for a summer one during college. Was horrible. Back then, New Yorkers were very demanding (maybe still are?). I ran my butt off. Taught me a valuable lesson though: always be nice to your server, they might be having a bad day because of other customers and long shifts... and if you send a spicy Bloody Mary back three times because it isn't spicy enough, you might just end up with half a bottle of Tabasco sauce in it... 😇

As someone now working as a waiter, ditto to this. 

Genius work with the Bloody Mary, by the way.

• Like 9

4 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Oooh, so many to choose from.  I'd say any of the ones where I had to deal with customers, in retail and customer service.  Between them and the bad managers that pushed me under the bus I really came to loathe people for a while.   One job, I was hired to work with a client to meet their specific data processing needs, and my supervisor second-guessed every decision I made on the project.  Nearing deadline and when we were in crunch mode, I got sent for a week of training , despite protests, on something I was not involved with.  When the client got irate, guess who got fired. 

• Like 9

5 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

There's a couple on my list, but one recent one comes to mind. I worked at a meat packing plant as a weinersmith and while it makes some of the best product in Canada, the working conditions are horrendous. While the floor workers themselves got together pretty well, I couldn't find a single one who actually enjoyed working there. My supervisor there was a miserable excuse for a human being, and I had to fight for time off to be a pallbearer at one of my closest friend's funeral. She was completely cold when she finally relented, and there wasn't a trace of empathy in her. Favouritism was rampant there, and temporary workers were treated like crap because numbers were the only thing that mattered, not people. And things were rather eye-opening when I saw three levels of management screaming at each other on the production floor.

• Like 6

I mean, I’ve worked retail/hospitality most of my life, so the bar is pretty high for “worst”. But it’s actually really easy to pick.

I had a one day job (because I abandoned it) trying to sell junk for “charities”. We stood outside a big box store all day trying to get people to buy this junk for charity. People either ignored you or were rude to you. The few that bought something were okay, but there weren’t that many of them. By the end of the day my legs were so sore I could barely stand, and that was in comfortable shoes. The next day they wanted me to wear heels. After I got home I called and quit.

I got paid $46 for that. A ten+ hour day. Hell to the eff NO.

• Like 9

Hard to say.  I don't recall any horror stories like others, but a few come to mind... 

Working at a car wash place where anyone could just sign you out of the electronic timecard system, so they'd try and screw you out of hours worked.  Labor board had fun with that one. 

Worked at Panagolopolous Pizza (now known as Panago) for awhile, and despite a paper trail clearly indicating the hours I was willing to work the manager decided I would be perfect for the closing shift, working by myself...  When labour laws wouldn't let someone of my age work past a certain time, let alone their own policies allowing someone under 18 to be a keyholder.  Better yet, I was still in high school, which was WHY we had set those times we did - I wanted to still go to bed at a semi reasonable time. 

Unsurprisingly, when she tried to spring this on me the day before at the end of my shift I left said company... 

UPS paid well, and once you were on the road it was decent, but man the level of stupidity and internal politics as well as favoritism that the managers played up at my location was downright brutal.  All they cared about was their own personal bonuses. 

One company I worked at had someone's hair get caught in powered rollers day three on the job.  I got to be the one waving to the ambulance so they'd come to the right set of doors since my jacket had a lot of reflective elements on it.  They then had me do the cleanup.  Yup, that was a fun three years doing interviews with OHSA/OSHA and the court appearances as a witness. 

Okay, maybe the last one is kind of a horror story. 

• Like 5
  • Sad 4