Getting to Know You, August 2021

2 hours ago, MusicalFeline said:

Genius work with the Bloody Mary, by the way.

The rest of that story ends with the customer asking for a small plate of lime slices because when asked how the final drink was they replied "Spicy! My lips are on fire!"

"Oh, did I get it too spicy?" *innocent face*

"No, no, it just burns!"

They wanted to rub the limes on their lips to kill the heat... but didn't ask for another Bloody Mary.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

• Replies 560
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

August 11: What’s the worst job you’ve ever had?

Movie Theater.

Had such high turnaround. Rope in the highschool and college kids. Over work them until they quit. Rope in a new group.  Never have to worry about paying much more than minimum wage, training was a joke. Food was already so expensive that the discounts didn't matter, and no one wanted to be in the building beyond working hours to take advantage of free showings.

I had been promised it would be a flexible schedule, since it was my first year in college.  Worked every major holiday, and when I ultimately had to change my availability to accommodate my summer job, I "didn't give proper notice" and was silently fired - maybe?  Despite having the ability to email schedules (they accidentally emailed me the schedule for the first few months) I had to show up and check the schedule myself to learn that I hadn't been scheduled anymore.

The kicker was that the week prior, two employees had been fired for snorting crushed pills in the break room, and all their friends walked out on the job in "solidarity."

Was glad to not come home reeking of popcorn anymore. And to eventually rediscover my love of going to the movies. The moral of the story: don't treat your employees as replaceable and you won't have to replace them every other week.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

There's a couple on my list, but one recent one comes to mind. I worked at a meat packing plant as a weinersmith 

Weinersmith. Huh, that's a new one. I think you should try out for Jeopardy! just because I want to hear Johnny Gilbert announce you as a weinersmith. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

12 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Working at a gas station across from the Kent State Campus in the summer of 1970.  The. owners were College students that did not know what they were doing.  They fired me for something that happened that they ha no way to know who was to blame.  They were going to withhold my final paycheck because they said it was going to be expensive to fix.  I brought my Father with me and showed them it was a couple of bucks and 5 minutes to fix.  Also all summer the National Guard patrolled on the street out front.  The next year I found out they withheld Tax but never sent it in.  City, State, Federal and Social Security.  Only time I was fired.

• Like 9

13 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

I've never really had one.

The one job I had in high school, I maintained for the entire 4 years. 

There were aspects of my various jobs that I didn't particularly enjoy, such as getting pepper sprayed while in the Navy. I was on the physical security force, and it was required. The reasoning was two-fold:  1. So we'd be aware of it's effects and be able to fight through it if necessary if we ever got a level 2 exposure (being in the general vicinity when it gets used on somebody else) and 2. So we'd be aware of exactly what kind of agony we would be inflicting on another human being if we were ever required to use it. I never followed that bit of logic; I mean we were issued sidearms and weren't required to get shot...

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Dunno, I've had a bunch that were terrible.

I guess the one I'm angriest about was my first one out of college where I edited wedding videos. That had problems related to a drunk driving check bouncing scammer of a boss, and his slimy time card falsifying minion. I frequently hope to see both of them in the paper having been caught driving with a suspended license or busted on financial crimes.

That job was so bad that it beats out, the one that skipped town owing me 5k, the one that broke my foot, the one that burned me with a chicken frier, and the one that had a customer try to fight me.

• Like 8

15 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

I had a work-study job at one of the university kitchens. It wasn't that bad, I remember shredding a lot of big blocks of cheese. Just, boring. What I don't remember is quitting... I think I just stopped going. 

• Like 8

23 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Probably the one where I was the sole member of staff at a gas station in the middle of nowhere. I  always got stuck with night shift because my fellow employees were related to the owners. I finally quit after the place got held up several times when I was on shift. They never got anything as the doors were locked but it's somewhat disconcerting to see someone try to stab their way through a plate glass window ::o:

• Like 9

28 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

August 12: What’s the scariest thing you’ve ever done, and why did you do it?

Crossing a wild river using two ropes, one to walk on and one to hold on to, all in full military gear.

It was just a small part of our march through woods during an exercise.

• Like 9

49 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

C-section. I hadn’t wanted one to begin with, and then when my baby got stuck during labor I was scared for her, scared for me, every thing was happening super fast, I couldn’t feel my body but I could tell they were doing stuff to me. It was a huge relief when my hubby got into the OR. And a huger relief when I saw the face of my angry little baby.

• Like 11

1 hour ago, TaleSpinner said:

As a typical introvert, any new social interaction feels scary. It's never that bad, pretty normal really. Sometimes amazing. But my mind keeps dreading it.

Though I'm not a thrill seeker, I'm trying to think of anything that wasn't a social activity. I don't think I have any particular fears. I'm OK with needles, the sight of blood, surgery, dentists, darkness, enclosed spaces, heights, flying, eating something new, spiders, open water, etc. Yet making a phone call can be paralyzing.

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Like 9

On 8/5/2021 at 6:32 AM, TaleSpinner said:

August 5: What’s your favorite quote from a TV show/movie/book?

It is likely something from …Holy Grail.

”I’m not dead yet..!”

OR

”No! It’s too Perilous…”

• Like 8

1 hour ago, TaleSpinner said:

Started a fist fight in the middle of an armed robbery. Why? Because sometimes I'm not so bright.

Back when I was trying to get my wife through college I worked evenings and weekends as an assistant manager at a pizza chain (one of many second jobs I've had over the years). I got moved around to different stores to help out regularly and on the first weekend closing shift at a new store three guys ran in through the back door wearing ski masks. I'd been told the guys there were into pranks so expect something dumb to happen. So I thought the whole thing was some sort of hazing nonsense. One of them ran into the managers office and grabbed me by my hair to try and yank me out of my chair. I was already in a grumpy mood so I came up out of the chair and punched the guy in the face and then shoved him out of the office. I walked out ready to start yelling at everyone and found another guy pointing a gun in my face. That's when I realized that no one there would try and prank a robbery. Seriously, what the hell was I thinking? Long story short, I opened the safe and laid on the ground with my head down until they left. Strange thing is, it wasn't in the least bit scary until after the adrenaline wore off, then it was terrifying. Especially since I realized I was likely one more punch away from getting shot. Later I learned, after they had been caught, that the robbers were a couple of rich, suburban kids doing it for the thrill of it. I shudder to think what would have happened if it been some drug addicts or someone desperate. 

I haven't thought of that in a long time. And I still regret putting the other guys in the store at risk. It did make me realize that I had some anger issues because normal folks don't just start swinging when they get angry. It's been nearly three decades since that happened and I like to think I'm a much calmer, rational person these days. 

• Like 11