Getting to Know You, August 2021

11 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

August 12: What’s the scariest thing you’ve ever done, and why did you do it?

Waited out a hailstorm under an underpass, said hailstorm had golf-ball and larger hailstones and if I'd been where I was not 10 minutes earlier I would've been caught out in it,

Why was I there - had taken my son to the museum and he suddenly decided that we needed to leave - NOW - if we'd been any earlier or later leaving we would've been either watching from inside the museum and probably had no way to get home, OR caught in the hail where  there wasn't a convenient underpass

This Hailstorm

• Like 8
  • Replies 560
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 8/11/2021 at 6:25 AM, TaleSpinner said:

August 11: What’s the worst job you’ve ever had?

I can't say I've had a truly bad job, but I worked a job with a 12 hour swing shift.  It's a schedule I'd not work again unless I really had to.

12 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Nothing is coming to mind, so it can't have been that scary.

• Like 7
14 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

There's a long list of things I've done that have had people questioning my sanity... I was never particularly scared while doing them, though. A little bit before and after, but not during.

Probably the one people might consider scariest was killing a rottweiler in hand-to-hand combat when I was fourteen. I didn't get the chance to ask it why.

There were tales going around the neighborhood about the angry big black dog whose owner sometimes let him run loose in the woods to chase the local kids (obviously, the dog was just getting loose, but more than one kid had had to run like hell that summer), and I happened to be out in the woods on one of the days when the dog got out.

I was in a small clearing when the dog came out the other side about twenty feet away and started barking at me. It was pretty clear he was about to attack. For about half a second I was afraid, but then it just slipped away and I was left with a cold, quiet analytical detatchment. (One of the minor benefits of being borderline anti-social.)

Short version, dogs can't bite with a thick walking stick stuck between their teeth, and they can't wrestle very well.

I spent a good twenty minutes shaking afterwards as I dumped adrenaline, but I managed not to hurl.

There are a lot of things in my life that I've had to do out of necessity and didn't really feel bad about, but that's one of the ones I truly regret being forced to do. I generally get along well with dogs.

Edited by Mad Jack
  • Like 5
  • Sad 5
15 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

I don't know, there's been a few things that would qualify.

The one that most readily comes to mind is climbing up the mast of a ship and all the way out to the end of a yardarm while at sea (this isn't generally done) during a hurricane (this is NEVER done) in order to tie down a broken communications antenna that was swinging dangerously close to a VERY expensive radar antenna while I was in the Navy.

Why?

'Cause I was in charge and I can't order someone else to go do something that I won't do myself.

• Like 8

August 13: Due to a software error in your favor, you suddenly get a free day of vacation that you didn't expect to have to take; what are you going to do with it?

(True Story: This just happened to me.)

• Like 7
37 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

August 13: Due to a software error in your favor, you suddenly get a free day of vacation that you didn't expect to have to take; what are you going to do with it?

Sleep a bit more, do chores I would otherwise put off. Nothing exciting.

• Like 9
1 hour ago, TaleSpinner said:

Heck, I tend not to use all of the vacation days I already have.

But it'll depend on which day it falls. If it's on a Monday or Friday, I may do a weekend trip to see the family. Otherwise, I'll just sleep in late and treat it like a quiet weekend day.

• Like 9
1 hour ago, TaleSpinner said:

Same thing I have done for the last 2021 days since I retired.

• Like 2
  • Haha 13
2 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

[shrug]  Any number of projects to work on, from house and garden to mini painting and other crafts.  Today I'm going by to visit a friend, drop off a present, and run a  few errands.  Will get a fancy coffee and probably lunch while I'm out.  Oh, and enjoy the nice cool 70F day we're having. Yesterday was over 100F. 

• Like 8
4 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Well, lucky you! Enjoy your vacation day, @TaleSpinner!

If it happened to me, I'd probably just be lazy and do a whole lot of nothing all day. I'd probably do some painting, some gaming, sleeeeeeeeeeep....

• Like 9
On 8/12/2021 at 8:19 AM, TaleSpinner said:

As I've mentioned before, I marshal, so the why is always, because it's a hobby.

I'm one of those people who gets pretty much completely unemotional  and super focused when in stressful situations, so nothing I've done was scary at the time, but then you look back later, or once the 10th person has asked if you are ok, and ....

I've mentioned this on here before. A couple of years ago now a prostock (think nascar-ish if you don't know what one is) missed landing on me by about 10 feet, after it had brake failure at 100+ kph, plowed through and launched off the wall, then landed in the infield. The hardest part of the whole event was having to wait what seemed like an hour, so likely 5 seconds, for a couple of cars to go through my corner and see the Red flag, before I could go check on the driver (race cars are generally designed to protect the driver in a lot of ways, but a straight drop of 10 feet is not one of  them.

While I've worked intervention for F1 in Montreal, I've never had to go onto a hot track for the actual F1 cars.  (And its possible now that I never will. By the next time F1 gets to Montreal, they may have changed the rules for us, as they have at most other tracks already). But doing that is conceptually way scarier.  You don't really realize just how fast those things go until you are standing a foot from them ( with a bit of wall between) and realize your eyes can't even focus on them...

5 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Well, first I'd make sure it wasn't my code that caused the issue. :poke:

A random day?  Sleep in, maybe paint, putter, that sort of stuff.

One I can plan?  Still probably sleep in.  But then likely have something planned with my wife.

• Like 9
6 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Have a great day Talespinner!

Since I have been doing all sorts of chores/small repairs and replacing stuff in the house, probably more of that.

Also cook something nice, maybe print or paint a mini.

• Like 8
6 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Probably just treat it as a day off. Probably try & do some hobby stuff, actual life stuff & try to make it through the day if it's current weather/season. IE, nothing special.

• Like 8