Getting to Know You, August 2021

TaleSpinner

• Replies 560
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Given all of the places I have traveled, I will have to put Las Vegas as my least liked, with Disney World and San Diego as being tied for 2nd worst. (Note: If you are trying to understand my choices, be aware that I have a serious fear of crowds and do not like a lot of people I don't know around me.)

• Like 9

1 hour ago, TaleSpinner said:

August 16: What's your least favorite place in the world?

Every place has it's good and bad points. And I haven't been to enough places on earth to definitively say it's my least favorite place. 

But if I had to pick one, it would probably be las Vegas.  That's mostly because that 11 out of the last 12 times I've been there has been to work a tradeshow.  

• Like 8

On 8/13/2021 at 7:36 AM, TaleSpinner said:

August 13: Due to a software error in your favor, you suddenly get a free day of vacation that you didn't expect to have to take; what are you going to do with it?

(True Story: This just happened to me.)

These days I'm likely to catch up on sleep, not get out of PJ's for the whole day, and then generally wander about my place with a mug full of coffee and rum while maybe getting some hobbying done. Right now that sounds like paradise.

2 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

(Sorry about the lapse this weekend; life happened.)

Normally I'd say Las Vegas. It's not that I'm against vice, gambling, and rampant consumption. But they're definitely not things I care for and don't enjoy having them shoved in my face 24/7.

However, I was in Trumbull County, Ohio last week for work and forgot how backwards, uneducated, and down right trashy that part of the state is. For instance, Covid is on the rise again in Ohio and since I travel all over the state I always wear a mask when I go in somewhere. I mean I have no idea if I'm spreading something asymptotically or not. So why be part of the problem, right? So last week when I walked into a gas station in Trumbull County with a mask on the lady behind the counter actually pointed at me, laughed out loud and screeched "he's got a mask on." Looked around and sure enough a bunch of maskless people were staring at me like I had two heads or something. The rest of the day was just as sad and depressing. So right now Trumbull County ranks up there with Las Vegas for least favorite places.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 13

5 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Afghanistan.

Either bank of the Ebola River… (which is a dinky little river, that flows into something called the Mongala, that then flows into the mighty Congo) …in the former Belgian Congo. Or the nearby village of Yambuku.

North Korea.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

(Sorry about the lapse this weekend; life happened.)

JFK airport in New York. Had a connecting flight on our way back from Europe and it was like the worst thing ever. Our plane taxi-ing for several hours did not help.

• Like 8