Getting to Know You, August 2021

1 hour ago, TaleSpinner said:

August 18: Do you believe in having a "five-year plan"?

I did when I was in the Navy.  I had the five years after I got out meticulously planned.  Five months of civilian life shredded that initial five year plan, and no new one has survived a year, so I pretty much gave up on them, except for vaguest ideas. 

Right now my wife and I's "five" year plan is to possibly look into moving to TX or somewhere with milder winters when my daughter graduates in 7 years.  And that's as concrete as the "plan" is. 

• Like 9
  • Replies 560
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

My average with an employer has always been under four years before I had to move to a new place and start over.

So five year plans fall into the "inconceivable!" part of my future.

The only thing remotely close to it is watching my retirement fund's growth and figuring out when I'd have financial independence. Could be 5 years. Could be more. Could be less. Could be I'm bad at finance math and grossly underestimating several things.

• Like 9
2 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

I believe in having a plan of some sort, some assessment of where you're at, where you'd like to be and how or what it's going to take to get there.  Some things take years.  Right now things are so crazy I'm living day to day.  We still have retirement and savings on track though. 

• Like 6
4 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

"Five year plan?" I'm lucky to make it 5 minutes without the bathroom being a planned excursion!

• Haha 9
4 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

No, not really.  I have a rough plan for house repairs but that's about it.

I never learned ambition, so I don't often have anything to work towards.  And any plan I make won't survive contact with reality.

• Like 6
5 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Failing to plan is planning to fail.

That said, the arbitrary 5 year thing has always seemed odd to me. I tailor my plans more specifically around the circumstances, as well as having more general plans. I use short, medium, and long range plans. Short being maybe 1-5 years, Medium being 10, long being lifetime goals and big picture stuff. This is how I developed my career, secured my home, became debt-free, developed my art hobby, etc.

My first career failed spectacularly due to an utter lack of planning, unrealistic expectations, and lack of business or management experience. If I had planned ahead, I would've been able to navigate the business obstacles and some big picture stuff that doomed us before we ever started, no matter how talented and motivated we may have been (and we were both!).

An addendum to planning is managing expectations and being realistic and honest with yourself, which may be the most difficult part. Happiness is a function of realistic expectations.

• Like 6

I am a compulsive planner.  I have contingency plans for the contingency plans of my contingency plans.  So yeah, I do, but it is less a 5-year plan and more an over all, continually evolving plan for my life.  The only time I really get truly upset is when things I have never considered hit me from out of the blue.  I am VERY uncomfortable with spontaneity unless I have a contingency plan to handle such an event (which I usually do).  

That said, I am also a firm believer in the saying, "Man plans, God laughs."  Hence my ever evolving and adjusting contingency plans. 

And besides, I like making God smile.

• Like 9
6 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

No.

I like to have the little things planned out, but when it comes to the longer term, big picture stuff I just bumble along.

• Like 7