Getting to Know You, August 2021

On 8/20/2021 at 5:21 PM, TGP said:

August 20:  Have you bought any cool new (or new to you) products recently?

Aug 21st: Share pix of said items? (Remember Pix are fine; shopping links are not)

Not exactly "bought," but I did do a little bartering for painted minis this past weekend. I ended up with a Gurps horror-western module I'd never seen, a large stack of Dragon magazines that I've either never read or that my gaming group doesn't have, a 1975 Hudepohl beer can commemorating the Cincinnati Reds World Series win of that year, a random assortment of craft beers and a wad of cash. The other person got fifteen painted minis off me. All in all I felt like I came out ahead on this deal and the Dragon magazines are going to be fun to read. Sorry no pictures.

1 hour ago, TaleSpinner said:

(Sorry everyone, and thanks TGP; been a crazy weekend prepping for ReaperCon and handing kid BTS stuff.)

August 23: What’s the most unusual place you’ve fallen asleep?

A demolition derby. 

• Like 9

• Replies 560
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, TaleSpinner said:

(Sorry everyone, and thanks TGP; been a crazy weekend prepping for ReaperCon and handing kid BTS stuff.)

Probably a marshal's stand during an national superbikes event.  (there are often long periods of downtime between sessions, especially if they decide to do a podium after a race.  Hot sunny days, nothing to do for a half an hour or so, a headset to keep out the random noises, and someone up in the tower to let us know over that headset when we are getting close to another race....)

• Like 8

2 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Middle of an indoor running track lane, or catwalk above a lighting grid. Not sure which is weirder. 

• Like 9

I often sleep on an airplane during travel not sure if that counts as unusual.

• Like 8

I don’t fall asleep easily, so I don’t really fall asleep in unusual places. One time when I was a kid I was so sick I fell asleep in class, but that’s about it.

• Like 8

Not really unusual, but in the middle of a big dark lecture hall. A frequent occurrence for Sociology 101 back in the day.

A more interesting question would be unusual places/times I've woken up.

• The floor of my dorm room with an open (and unspilled) bottle of Coke in my hand.
  • When they pulled my last wisdom tooth. Felt it, grunted in pain, heard the nurse say "He's coming around." Then passed out again.
  • Middle of a colonoscopy. Thankfully, again I passed out.

I don't think I do well with anesthesia. I tell them to hit me with it hard now.

• Like 9

3 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

I could not ignore this question. My weirdest place was when I managed to fall asleep in the dentist's chair. Also once I fell asleep on the couch in a museum in Paris

• Like 8

On 8/20/2021 at 5:21 PM, TGP said:

August 20:  Have you bought any cool new (or new to you) products recently?

I bought a Digitech Whammy DT pedal for my guitar/bass setup for playing Rocksmith (basically, guitar hero but with real guitars, you're actually playing the real track). I've been playing Rocksmith for almost a decade but didn't get too serious until I started rehabbing my left hand injury in 2019.

The pedal is a nice convenience feature. I hook it up via midi and use a mod to connect it to Rocksmith. This allows it to pull tuning information from the game, so I only need to retune for drop tunings (like E Standard with a drop D) or open tunings. Open tunings are rare, though. Anyway, rather than re-tuning the entire instrument to play a song in D Standard (and then retuning back to E Standard after), I just skip tuning and the pedal pitch-shifts it.

It's not perfect (some latency and signal degradation) but it's crazy handy. I have a ton of stuff in Eb Standard and that need cent tunings (the original is E Standard but not concert pitch A440, it may be in A430). Lots of classic rock albums require those cent adjustments. Overall it opened up an additional 500 songs or so (out of my total of roughly 1800 available), so that's cool.

4 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Snowbank, after a gig. I couldn't even stand by the end of the gig, the guitarist and I were propping each other up, physically. I must've stumbled out of the venue and just taken a nap in the snow. No idea how I survived my youth.

• Like 9

5 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

ER bed comes to mind, as does in those not so comfortable chairs they have at the ER that are vinyl covered so they can be cleaned/sanitized easily (literally used my hoodie to keep my arms propped up while I watched over hubby).  "Weirdest" would probably be some of the rides at Knott's Berry Farm.  Weekend the Supreme Scream opened, and I fell asleep on one of the boat-like rides that's on a pendulum arm, spins around slowly and the entire platform/boat also rotates.  Fell asleep because it was amped up as being this awesome ride and it was soooooo boring to ride.

• Like 7

20 hours ago, Corsair said:

Picked up a 1873 Trapdoor Springfield rifle. This is what Custer's troops were carrying at Little Big Horn.

Man that back row would make great Kaijus!

trapdoor2.jpg

OK, why does a Springfield rifle need cream and sugar?

• Haha 12

My sister used to fall asleep on the back of dad's motorcycle, all the time. He had a Gold Wing and a seat back, so she just kind of wedged in there. Mom freaked out when she found out that was happening, and forbade her to ride on the motorcycle if she was going to fall asleep. Later, I saw and ad in a motorcycle magazine for a harness for kids who fall asleep on motorcycles, so she must not have been the only one. A sidecar would be the obvious solution.   

• Like 6

Walking along. I'd done 48 solid hours straight, changing a Main Engine bottom end bearing while up the Arabian Gulf in the low 40's centigrade, high humidity. So tired that I literally went to sleep walking back to my cabin. 

• Like 7

7 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Concert or something at a fair, I /think/. I was bored stupid... 😕

I fall asleep in moving vehicles all the time, if I have nothing better to do; this does include planes.

• Like 7