Getting to Know You, August 2021

• Replies 560
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, TaleSpinner said:

August 25: What’s your favorite family tradition?

Our Thanksgiving Lunch with the Family (Grandparents decedents).  We have had up to 72 people.  Hopefully this Thanksgiving we will have a large bunch to celebrate the 400th anniversary of our ancestor's first Thanksgiving.  Four of our Five Mayflower ancestors survived to give thanks.

• Like 9

2 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

I'd say the Sunday afternoon gatherings we used to have at dad's parents place.  Everyone would just drop in whenever and Gram always had an amazing quantity and variety of food. Used to see all my cousins and aunts and uncles. Used to cram so many people into that tiny house.
That's all ancient history now, all my grandparents have passed, the house has a new owner, and most of my cousins are scattered across the country now.

But it was a great way to spend a Sunday afternoon.

• Like 8

3 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Summer family cook outs. We have pretty small families on both sides, but the best times were when we gathered over food in someone's back yard.   Sadly, the elder family members are gone and all us kids and cousins are scattered. 

• Like 8

The family get togethers where we eat. So basically any family gathering. It used to be the entire brood of family but after my dad's parents passed it basically just the Rents, me, and my sister's crew. 

• Like 8

3 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Doing fondue on Christmas Eve as our dinner meal. 

My parents started it as a way to keep us kids from bugging them about opening a present, because it always took longer to eat and clean up.  Especially before an electric fondue pot was acquired.   My wife and I started doing it with our kids, though sometimes we'll do New Years Even instead of Christmas Eve, or we'll even do both days. 

On 8/17/2021 at 6:27 AM, TaleSpinner said:

August 17: If you could change anything about yourself, would you? If so, what and why?

Less procrastination. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 4

4 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

We get together for Thanksgiving, all the family, good day all around, then the ladies plan their Black Friday "Attack Shopping"

• Like 8

4 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

I'm gonna go with "avoiding family" as a playful, cheeky answer!  I'm not one for big family meet ups, doubly so since they're usually where I can't get to them anyways. 

• Like 6

9 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

We.. don't really have any. Although at some point, we (my mother and I) started having oatmeal for breakfast on Christmas morning, pre-present-opening, and it just.. stuck. Andi and I still do that. 

• Like 7

10 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

August 23: What’s the most unusual place you’ve fallen asleep?

ReaperCon.... oops. I still haven't quite gotten the hang of parceling out my energy for ReaperCon. I just get *so excited* and then very overwhelmed. :blush:

One year, I fell asleep during the forumite Sunday dinner, and then the year after, I almost did it again in front of Talespinner and TGP. >.<

Oh, and a couple days ago I fell asleep in my closet for about 30 minutes after swapping out build plates for our booth at 3 in the morning.

I'm.... sensing a pattern..... :lol:

August 24: What's the silliest argument you've ever been in?

Not really an argument, but it does make me smile. 

Several years ago I bought a full set of wood grain ceramic... food holders. We call one set of them plbowls (pronounced pluh-bowls, because plate+bowl).

image.thumb.png.7fb8309e8565ce1d9dbade176dd37fa0.png

My love and I were loading up the dishwasher, and I watched him place one on the top shelf. I immediately stiffened up as my childhood brain said, "Danger! Wrong spot! Danger!"

So I politely said, "Oh! Uh. I usually put them on the bottom rack because they're like plates."

Mr Rumbeard said, "I put them on the top shelf because they're like bowls."

We stared at each other for several seconds.

Then I realized childhood brain doesn't control me anymore, so we got a good laugh out of it!! :wub:

• Like 2
  • Haha 9

10 hours ago, Great Khan Artist said:

Which is yummier: cake v pie. I choose pie. 

I was in an ongoing debate once about whether the Sleestack from the tv show Land of the Lost were reptiles or arthropods.

buckyball

• Like 7

12 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

We used to do a summertime family cookout/picnic, so that.

Sadly, that hasn't happened in a fair number of years now. 

10 hours ago, Great Khan Artist said:

Which is yummier: cake v pie. I choose pie. 

Cake. ::P:

• Like 7