Getting to Know You, August 2021

8 hours ago, Morihalda said:

August 27: What is something that helps you destress?

I'm fairly low stress to begin with; but videogames, exercise, and/or snuggles will generally do the trick.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 560
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, Morihalda said:

Normal day to day stress can be handled with stuff like painting minis or letting the dog fall asleep on my lap. But really stressful situations usually calls for lots of extra housework. You know there's bad stuff going on in my life if it's spotless. Thankfully, right now it is in it's normal, slightly cluttered, state.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Morihalda said:

Shaving. It's a whole process for me since I shave using a double edged razor, soap, and a brush. On the really bad days I even involve a kettle of boiling water and a hot towel. 

• Like 10

11 hours ago, Morihalda said:

Shootin' zombies is always a favorite. A few months back I had another go-round with 7 Days to Die (I see Ludo is playing!), which I've been playing for years now (I think I'm near 700 hours!). More recently I went back to State of Decay 2, which has had a lot of nice development since I played at release...and new content just dropped, so I'll likely be back soon! During the early pandemic, Days Gone was a great escape with some great characters in addition to the usual zombie bashin' stuff.

Music is my other big one. Plug in, enter flow, remember old friends and enjoy my ability to play awesome stuff without thinking too much about it. Getting a bit of an unfortunate streak, first Dusty Hill from ZZ Top (there are usually 3 or 4 Top tunes in my normal set rotation anyway), then Charlie Watts (I haven't done a ton of Stones on bass, but I had a few in my guitar setlist, notably Wild Horses was a staple for guitar/vocals), and yesterday I learned an old bandmate had passed unexpectedly in his sleep, so it was Pantera time (he could play any Dime solo flawlessly, so it was fun jamming Pantera with him).

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Morihalda said:

Long walks on the beach, luxurious bubble baths... wait, that's my beauty pageant response.

Punching bag/dummy. Really good for it. My dummy Bob has never once complained, and he is still willing to double as a coat rack at times. Sometimes I'll load up some fights online. It's no that I'm violent; it's the focus on skill or watching it displayed that eases the stress.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

14 hours ago, Morihalda said:

The best is a weekend at the track marshaling.  Completely forget about the outside work.
If that isn't available, the beach, preferably on a windy day with big breakers rolling in.  Or driving by myself with the windows down and music very loudly playing.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

23 hours ago, Morihalda said:

Lately not much. Otherwise it depends on the type of stress. For some things punching the $!%!# out of my heavy bag helps, sometimes working at something physical until I drop. For minor stress my toys and painting and listening to music. Visiting good friends helps a lot but I don't get together with the best of them nearly often enough any more.

21 minutes ago, Morihalda said:

August 28th: We chatted about pie vs cake the other day. What other desserts do you enjoy?

Bonus quest: Make or share a recipe this weekend!

We enjoy a lot of deserts. I've become an expert on various cheesecakes but lately tiramisu has become our go to desert. Used to love a recipe my cousin gave me for oatmeal and raisin cookies but haven't made them in years.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Morihalda said:

August 28th: We chatted about pie vs cake the other day. What other desserts do you enjoy?

My mom always made donuts, as well as cinnamon buns as big as your face. Unfortunately I have to be rather selective in what I eat nowadays.

• Like 9

56 minutes ago, Morihalda said:

I like cobblers and crumbles, sheet pan tarts, and clafouti.  It's too hot to bake... but maybe I can whip up a sour cherry clafouti for breakfast on Sunday. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Morihalda said:

Being diabetic, I tend to avoid desserts.  Also being diabetic, I love most any dessert (barring overly coffee flavored ones, anything with a lot of coconut, and anything too pumpkin-y).

What we do have tends to things that can be converted to being low-carb/diabetic friendly.  So cheesecake plays a big roll, as do the few low sugar ice creams you can get here.

My wife is definitely the dessert maker in the house. She is making her 3 layer frozen strawberry squares the weekend, since she just got back from Nova Scotia, which has the best strawberries, and managed to get a flat of late season berries. 

• Like 9

10 hours ago, Morihalda said:

I love almost all desserts.

Yesterday my girl and the vixens took me out for a birthday dinner, we had a tapas style restaurant so I had 2 entrees, 10 main courses and 8 desserts.

All small portions of course.

The reason I didn't go for more desserts was because I felt I was at the limit that would still feel good, any more and I would have felt stuffed.

So...yeah, Icecreams, Puddings, Cremes, Chocolates, Cakes, Pies, whatever...

• Like 9