Getting to Know You, August 2021

10 hours ago, Morihalda said:

August 28th: We chatted about pie vs cake the other day. What other desserts do you enjoy?

Donuts, any flavor. Cookies, preferably with chocolate chips. And ice cream during hot months. And though I've not had it in years, a special weakness for a Turkish dessert called kazandibi (burned milk pudding or burned bottom milk pudding).

• Like 8

• Replies 560
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, Morihalda said:

August 28th: We chatted about pie vs cake the other day. What other desserts do you enjoy?

Bonus quest: Make or share a recipe this weekend!

11 hours ago, Inarah said:

I like cobblers and crumbles, sheet pan tarts, and clafouti.  It's too hot to bake... but maybe I can whip up a sour cherry clafouti for breakfast on Sunday. 

Yup, cobblers or brownies!

• Like 8

On 8/26/2021 at 11:02 PM, Morihalda said:

August 27: What is something that helps you destress?

Depends on the stress.

Normal day to day stuff can be alleviated in many ways; painting, petting the cats, reading, watching a tv show/movie, basically anything to take my mind off it.

Heavy duty stress usually requires heavy duty work/cleaning/physical exercise; it's a matter of taking my mind of it and being tired/sore/worn out as well.

12 hours ago, Morihalda said:

>glances at waistline<  Apparently, I enjoy ALL of the desserts.

• Like 10

18 hours ago, Morihalda said:

Cake, pie, cookies, cobblers, crumbles, doughnuts, custards, puddings, etc. They're all welcome.

Luckily, I do have a homemade dessert this weekend. First I've prepared in months.

A "Cookies and Cream" cake! (currently 80% eaten)

Dessert.jpg.14cd1dd4c189b4896d4eb1cdab2e6ae1.jpg

Chocolate cookie wafers, sweetened whipped cream between each wafer that you stack together in rows, and then completely cover with the leftover cream. Place in the fridge in a sealed container for several hours to soften the cookies. Serve!

• Like 8

20 hours ago, Morihalda said:

Cheesecake is good, most middle eastern ones are delicious too (especially Namoora, or however it's spelled) and baklava... Japan has a lot of really nice ones too... 

• Like 6

22 hours ago, Morihalda said:

Pie is still the best. No one kills an orc over a cake. I got a steal of a deal on gluten free brownie mix, so watch this space. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

On 8/26/2021 at 11:02 PM, Morihalda said:

August 27: What is something that helps you destress?

A good weightlifting workout. The need to focus completely on lifting is meditative to me. It pushes my viewpoint to just 'the now' and provides perspective on what's causing stress.

On 8/27/2021 at 10:33 PM, Morihalda said:

I think I like all things sweet... I introduced my daughter to a mocha shake this week... so yummy. Also cinnamon candied pecans, tiramisu, creme brulee, cheesecake, ice cream and frozen custard , cookies... and pie and cake (I like both!)

• Like 7

58 minutes ago, Morihalda said:

August 30th: What's a video, picture, or fun fact that makes you smile?

(If it's a gif - I believe we still cannot embed them here, so an external link with a description should be sufficient.)

My favorite youtube meditation.  Send the children out of the room. 

Spoiler

Seriously, NSFW. 

https://youtu.be/92i5m3tV5XY

The sequel meditation is pretty fun, too. 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Morihalda said:

(If it's a gif - I believe we still cannot embed them here, so an external link with a description should be sufficient.)

Today's question was 100% because of this video my amazing husband sent me. :wub:

https://old.reddit.com/r/rarepuppers/comments/pdv37w/the_pack_goes_shopping/

(Screenshot of the first frame below)

Screenshot_20210830-002746.thumb.png.f3645e0498cb5c74fbcee5f9dea6a917.png

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Morihalda said:

As someone who plays 40K, this one amuses me no matter how many times it's posted.

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Morihalda said:

I always love pics of dogs in silly situations/positions especially when it's a Boxer.

image.png.b92ff3489b282cfce0668952f88991de.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 9

8 hours ago, Morihalda said:

Pictures of my little monster usually do it for me.

F6F5CFDB-0D88-4B8C-BBFE-A124B7D72A92.thumb.jpeg.1de0a759a79ae5342431d357f9309727.jpeg

One of my recent favorite. That’s the pirate ship shipping box.

• Like 9
  • Haha 3

9 hours ago, Morihalda said:

You do realize this is inviting somebody to get Rick Rolled today, right?

6 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

I always love pics of dogs in silly situations/positions

Seconded. And when they are doing very "human" behaviors.

dogstraw.jpg.b33d07c3843fa792466f47e9ab0e7c43.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

On 8/27/2021 at 11:33 PM, Morihalda said:

Cookies are always a nice treat. And since it isn't a full fledged dessert in terms of size the calories don't count, right?

I kept trying to make time to bake some cookies over the weekend since this question had me thinking about it, but never found the time. 

9 hours ago, Morihalda said:

This kitten picture of my horrible, evil cat shortly after discovering paper towels for the first time always makes me smile. Maybe not so much when I found him in the middle of his mess (my wife took the picture as I was too busy yelling at him), but nowadays it's much more funny.

received_10154221361897155.thumb.jpeg.5a8c4ff9b0eea676283b670b7ab53868.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 5