nevereavymetal

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 8/5/2021 at 2:55 AM, Neatpete said:

Bad as! 🤩

I’ve used oil dot filters on acrylic stuff before. What’s a your process for Oil washes? Some thinner and apply like any other wash?

6 hours ago, Iridil said:

Perfectly necrotic! Inpiring - do tell more of this oil wash technique.... you wash with oil paints?

My process was to paint the base colors with acrylics, then varnish (matte, satin, or gloss depending on how you want the oil wash to adhere), then applying oil paint washes over that, varnishing once more, then doing highlights of certain parts with acrylics. So the dragon was a light red brown, I thinned Burnt Umber to a wash (with white spirits) and applied it all over, then dipped small spots of purple, ultramarine, and green oil washes on while the main coat was still wet. Same went for the base, I started with grey blue acrylics, varnished, then washed with the same oils as well. Then I varnished it matte and went in and did the final highlights with acrylics on whatever details I needed.

The reason I wanted to try it is that this is a bigger model with lots of detail, so the oil paint washes allowed me to slather it and let it sit for a while, then when I came back and started wiping it down it was very easy to blend certain spots I wanted as well. There are downsides like the very long drying time and fumes from white spirits, but I plan to use the process on more minis for sure. This video is a good summary of the process: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znrCqYFFl9Q

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1