2021-08-12-PrintableSceneryShips.jpg

Our AD&D group are about to take to the high seas, and that being the case, I thought it might be useful to print a couple of ships.

They're both from Printable Scenery; the top one is their fluyt, a small square-rigged merchant ship of Dutch origin, and the bottom is a lateen-rigged dhow, an all-purpose Arabic type used from the North African coast right over to India and beyond. I haven't given them any masts or sails, because they'd just get in the way in their use as gaming terrain. We'll just have to imagine masts and sails. I also haven't given them any cannon, since I don't hold with those sorts of shenanigans in my AD&D games. That's what wizards are for.

They've both been printed on my Ender 3 in eSun PLA. The figures are various 28mm fantasy miniatures; I don't have much in the way of actual sailor-men, though I think I've got a few pirates from the last Reaper Kickstarter I went in for; I shall have to dig them out. 

I put this in the Terrain sub-board, because that's how they're going to be used.

• Like 20
  • Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2021-08-19-sloop.jpg

Here we have the sloop, a single-masted vessel, 300mm (about a foot) long, not including the bowsprit.

Nearly done with the actual 3d printing, just the frigate to go. I've still got to get paint on to the brig, skiff, and a couple of eight-oar longboats: at the moment they're just primed. Apart from that, it will all be just messing about with bits of dowel and some rudimentary rigging.

2021-08-16-MoreShips.jpg

• Like 8

2021-08-21-brig.jpg

The Brig.
In scale, this would be a pretty tiny brig. The crew complement of a Napoleonic brig-of-war was about 130 men, and cramming 130 28mm figures on to this model would be challenging, to say the least.

• Like 11