Wednesday Evening Pizza Megadungeon (old school D&D)

Kangaroorex

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 8/12/2021 at 4:40 PM, Kangaroorex said:

Free rules are available under the name Labyrinth Lord (which are about 97% inline with the RC). 

Do you happen to know where I could find them? 

Also, there is something called an 'advanced' or 'revised' edition; is that what we're using?

(Sorry to be a pest, I can't put hands on my old BECMI rules right now, and I wanted to skim over the rules to refresh my memory.)

Edited by Chaoswolf

On 8/14/2021 at 5:19 PM, Jeepnewbie said:

Let’s get the game on!

Wife and kids will be there this year.  So I won’t play every night most likely, unless she is cool with it. 

You are welcome anytime you can make it.  If the kids are young and your wife can sneak out, she is welcome as well!

16 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

Do you happen to know where I could find them? 

Also, there is something called an 'advanced' or 'revised' edition; is that what we're using?

(Sorry to be a pest, I can't put hands on my old BECMI rules right now, and I wanted to skim over the rules to refresh my memory.)

the full search title you are looking for is Labyrinth Lords, revised edition.  Its about 95% of the right rules for the cyclopedia edition and the rules that dont match are for levels you wont reach in this little adventure!  also Swords and Wizardry rules are a good match if you have them as are the old basic and expert books from the 80s boxed edition of DnD (the red box and the blue box 🙂 ).  Basically, unless you are planning to get from level 5 to level 10 over the course of the Reapercon, Labyrinth Lords and the basic DnD sets will work.  If you have Swords and Wizardry, there are some differences, but I can make it work for the run.  Not supposed to send links over the forum but PM me and i can send you a link to the Labyrinth Lords rules.

in other news, I was generating characters (I may have overdone it just a tad..)  there are 21 characters to choose from.  Magic items are almost completed too.  Getting ready for the convention and looking forward to seeing everyone!

Roo

In other news, I put together a whole bunch (21, yes I got a bit carried away...) 

• Like 3

If the table isn't crowded on Wednesday night, would love to play again. 

However I too have been missing Crowelys game, and hatched plans of my own.

So I have some seeds and ideas for a crazy improv game, that I'm dying to try but I'll run my game in Pathfinder 2e (just the system im the most familiar and comfortable in at the moment)

So if Kangeroos game gets too crowded or people want to try 2e, I'll let those crazy ideas crack open my brain for you all to watch.

Thank you kangaroo rex for running old skool gaming so I don't have to relearn how to. Lol!!!

Edited by Thes Hunter
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It still remains, hands down, my favorite style (My absolute preference is AD&D but any of the 1e rulesets work!)  so its a joy for me to play or DM.  Besides its great to only need 1 book to play all the rules, it makes conventions much easier 😁  We may need to find a bigger table than last year!

I never learned 2e pathfinder so there is that.

I am also just putting this out there.  with all the games and classes I have a number of off the cuff games and things I am willing to run while I'm there if we accumulate people who want to play something.  that can include more 1e, Call of Cthulhu, Numenera, and give me 10 min and a printer and we can have an intro game of 7th sea.  (I'm the guy front and center with the white beard in the picture above.)

If someone has something they want to run and needs someone to fill it, I only have 1 fixed game during normal play hours so if I'm around I am usually willing to play.

Edited by Kangaroorex
  • Like 3

On 8/12/2021 at 2:40 PM, Kangaroorex said:

Adventurers gather round! 

the stinking graveyard in the Lost Lands is releasing its evil into the land.  A party of adventurers opened the doors and then disappeared leaving the gateway open for things best left forgotten to creep out of the darkness.  The Minions of Orcus roam the lands and the season of the froghemouth is drawing near, threatening everyone outside of the walls of the town.

the path to the graveyard is known, the doors to the mausoleum stand open…  After gorging yourselves on pizza, dare you dare push back the darkness and close the gate to the deeper abyss?

In the spirit of @Crowley, who cant be at Reapercon this year, this old school dungeon delve will be run using the D&D Rules Cyclopedia rules (also known as BECMI D&D). Free rules are available under the name Labyrinth Lord (which are about 97% inline with the RC). 

Characters will be provided, but if you want to roll up your own, bring a 5th level character, rolling 3d6 for ability scores (you can assign them where you like), with whatever non-magic equipment you like.  I’ll hand out magic items at the table.

Any questions? 

calling on those who have come before  @Dragoneye @TripleH @Green Eyed Monster @rawlkeer @Jeepnewbie  @Inarah @Thes Hunter but not everyone will be there and there is and there's always room for another sacrifice  meatshield  adventurer at the table! 

Sorry I have to miss out but Liberty Mutual's current round of shenanigans has made it impossible to attend.

Here's hoping everybody who can attend has a great time, with a lot of fun, time with friends we don't get to see often enough, and all the usual hijinks.

GEM

• Like 3

Last night our small group of explorers was nearly extinguished below the ancient cemetery after picking a fight with the the undead.  Ghouls and ghasts poured out of a room they discovered like a tide and, although they fought valiantly they were overwhelmed and one by one paralyzed until only the halfling through superb luck on his saves was able to escape the hoard.  

The halfling lived to tell the tale and reached a small Village to round up a new party for the sake of vengeance.  What will become of them and what horrible fate awaits!

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Kangaroorex said:

Last night our small group of explorers was nearly extinguished below the ancient cemetery after picking a fight with the the undead.  Ghouls and ghasts poured out of a room they discovered like a tide and, although they fought valiantly they were overwhelmed and one by one paralyzed until only the halfling through superb luck on his saves was able to escape the hoard.  

The halfling lived to tell the tale and reached a small Village to round up a new party for the sake of vengeance.  What will become of them and what horrible fate awaits!

I was asleep and missed it (still working my honest entry), but I don’t trust the halfling. 

Wouldn’t happen to be named Renfield by any chance?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1