Talisha Highbringer

kellinator

Here's my latest mini, which I finished up at the painting day we had last weekend in Atlanta. Photos courtesy of Spike (thanks Spike!). I got this mini because she reminded me of Delynn from Babylon 5 and that was kind of my inspiration for the color scheme. I know she's not great, but I'm hoping for some feedback, especially from those of you who have seen my earlier stuff. I'm starting to attempt to shade and other things I didn't do on my first minis. And please disregard the green on her hand, I've got to fix that.

post-4-1093366599.jpg

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks pretty good. I can see the highlighting on the blue cloth and it is a good start. The legs could use some shadows to give some depth as could the base. A wash of a brownish grey on the rock would really make it pop. Then you could brush some white on a few the the highest edges.

Nice work, I bet you notice some huge improvements in your near future. I can tell the light switch is just about flipped. By this I mean you are still learning brush control and are struggling with basic highlights. Once those two concepts start to work themselves out (through practice) you will find that each piece afterward will be better and better.

I think it looks great Kel. ::):

No kidding about the experts thing. I get really intimidated by some of the talent I see around here sometimes. Hopefully I've gleaned enough from hanging out here that my CAV's and Crusaders might not be embarassing to put on a table next year at ReaperCon.

It's amazing to me how much better some of my stuff is coming out just because I'm using thinner paint. I'm working on my Crusaders in earnest now so hopefully I can show them off before too long.

This is the way I like to do the darklining - after the base coat is done (but usually before highlighting), DullCote the mini before darklining with Reaper walnut (thinned with retarder and flow improver). Because the mini is sealed, this protects the paint from major mistakes and makes it easy to correct darklines-gone-astray with a damp paintbrush.

Then I continue with the highlights and detailing. It works for me, YMMV.