Shaded Metallics class taught by Michael Proctor

I took the shaded metallics class at Reapercon Virtual last year and this is the result of that class. I'm struggling with the shaded metallics technique so it looks pretty rough but it looks better than my metallics usually do.

He's supposed to be half bronze and half steel.

Any feedback or advice is welcome. Especially if you know of good sources for me to research this technique some more.

IMG_3299.thumb.jpeg.48b7ed570bdf4e165c5ee594b87c1807.jpegIMG_3298.thumb.jpeg.3656d6c86db648f622f319afe268f5ac.jpeg

• Like 15
  • Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This looks like a good beginning. It does take a lot of practice to get metallics to look right. I generally start by painting the entire armor with the base metallic, say 09205 Blackened Steel, then I'll paint the surfaces with 09206 Tarnished Steel, being very careful not to get any in the deep recesses or the joins of plate armor. Then I'll pick out edges and small areas I think would reflect light with the highlight, 09207 True Silver. If I need to I will use a black wash to really highlight the recesses. I also try to stay away from drybrushing (except for mail armor). Basically play with it and don't get discouraged. The more you do the better you'll get at it.