3d print help

Hello everyone.

My wife gave me an ender 3 pro printer for my birthday.  I built it without issue and the Gcode files that came with it printed without artefacts or defects.  Everything that I have downloaded has been in a STL format.  Looking online I found loads of information about converting the STLs.  The only software that I could get to load on my computer is slic3r (MAC OS and none of the others will load).  It converts the Gcode and produces STL files.  Every print comes out ropey with the low definition and the PLA layers are not sticking together.  Anybody have any ideas?

• Like 1

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you receive any software or a flash drive? It should have a version of cura to slice your stl files. I believe you can also download it free from their website.  You say it comes out ropey, I would assume that is stringing and it could be due to the filament, especially if it's not sticking to the bed. Do you know what brand it is? Might want to try Esun PLA+, i've had good results (you might still get some stringing, but as long as the print itself is okay, just pull them off.) Also, make sure your bed is level. as @Glitterwolf posted, look through those links he showed, lots of great information in there. One last thing, 3D printers, especially FDM, are not really plug and play. There is a learning curve, and lots of trial and error to find that sweet spot to get good prints. Trust me, once you get dialed in, it's worth it. Look for my post over in the 3D priniting section and you can see some of the things I have done on my Neptune 2 FDM printer. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Thanks for the responses.  I figured out the stringy issue.  I managed to do thinner slices in slic3r.  I have come up with another couple of issues and think that I have sorted those out. 

2 hours ago, Ratmaster2000 said:

Did you receive any software or a flash drive? It should have a version of cura to slice your stl files.

I will check the flash drive.  Every time I downloaded it from the Cura site it failed to load so I am a bit fed up with it.   

Edited by snitchythedog
  • Like 1