Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, haberfront said:

I'm very unfamiliar with bats. Didn't they attack you when you startle them? Like if you shouted or you dropped something?

 

Nah, not these ones at least. If they are startled they just fly away

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Back when we started dating, Grump took me to a small street in Portland to feed the bats, just after dusk.

 

If you held still then the mosquitos would come out to feed on you, then a whole passle of bats would start flittering around eating the skeeters.

 

I think we had about a dozen. The amazing thing is that they weren't running into each other, they are erratic fliers!

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a friend when I was little who raised bats.

 

His parents were large animal/exotic animal vets that tended to work in conjunction with zoos along with a few farms that had some unusual animals, and he raised and sold a few species of bats that he cared for to some zoos and other locations. They were the least strange animals he had as personal pets at the time though.

 

The largest species I had was tamed enough for people to hold with the ones he had for himself.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

We have little insectivores flying all over at the lake cabin all summer long. We don't have them at the farm, at least not often, so seeing them at first I was confused as to what they were. I really like to watch them, they're way more acrobatic than birds. I used to be able to hear them sometimes, but my hearing loss has gotten worse and I can't anymore. 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/15/2021 at 8:22 PM, SotF said:

I had a friend when I was little who raised bats.

 

His parents were large animal/exotic animal vets that tended to work in conjunction with zoos along with a few farms that had some unusual animals, and he raised and sold a few species of bats that he cared for to some zoos and other locations. They were the least strange animals he had as personal pets at the time though.

 

The largest species I had was tamed enough for people to hold with the ones he had for himself.

Once upon a time, in the 1970s, National Geographic had an article about a man studying vampire bats.

 

Contrary to popular imagery, vampire bats don't land on their prey and start nibbling - they land on the ground, and knuckle over, like tiny gorillas - and had never been known to feed on humans.

 

Then, one day when he had a student over, the bat landed, and began to stalk over to the student....

 

The student, of course, got up and left, because, hey, they were being stalked by a vampire bat!

 

It took some convincing, but he did eventually manage to talk the student into coming back, and sitting down....

 

Soon, the bat had again landed, and began knuckling towards its prey....

 

And started sucking on the student's moccasin. It smelled like cow.

 

 

On 9/15/2021 at 10:23 PM, Great Khan Artist said:

We have little insectivores flying all over at the lake cabin all summer long. We don't have them at the farm, at least not often, so seeing them at first I was confused as to what they were. I really like to watch them, they're way more acrobatic than birds. I used to be able to hear them sometimes, but my hearing loss has gotten worse and I can't anymore. 

Maine has two main insectivorous species of bat, with the least exciting names ever given in zoology - The Little brown Bat and the Big Brown Bat. <_<

 

The Auld Grump

Edited by TheAuldGrump
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, TheAuldGrump said:

Once upon a time, in the 1970s, National Geographic had an article about a man studying vampire bats.

 

Contrary to popular imagery, vampire bats don't land on their prey and start nibbling - they land on the ground, and knuckle over, like tiny gorillas - and had never been known to feed on humans.

 

Then, one day when he had a student over, the bat landed, and began to stalk over to the student....

 

The student, of course, got up and left, because, hey, they were being stalked by a vampire bat!

 

It took some convincing, but he did eventually manage to talk the student into coming back, and sitting down....

 

Soon, the bat had again landed, and began knuckling towards its prey....

 

And started sucking on the student's moccasin. It smelled like cow.

I remember that he had one of the bigger fruit bats as the largest, the ones he raised of them were more for the "presentation"/ambassador programs and those would climb on people. The others he had were a lot smaller, no vampire bats...and the friend was young at the time, and his parents probably helped a lot with raising them, but he did a lot of the work.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...