Glow in the Dark Sophie's Revenge Pirate Ship WIP thread

Decided to test out my idea on the glow in the dark ship on one of the cannons. I'm thinking this is going to be how I do the full ship! I coated in matte varnish (so the inks will stick) then did a mid brown wash on the wood. Once that dried I did a VERY watered down tarnished steel RPS paint wash on the barrel. Anyhow, I tested and it still glows, so I'm thinking that this should work really well for the whole thing! Now to buy 3 gallons of brown wash 😄

20210823_143004.jpg

20210823_160048.jpg

• Like 16

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, Darcstaar said:

Wow!  Great test.

Thanks! Yeah, I really like how it turned out. In normal light, the cannon still looks rather ghostly, and it still glows. What I REALLY need to do is use the UV flashlight I have to see if it will reabsorb the light so that it will glow more, which I'll probably do sometime today. I also think I'm going to do a quick wash with tan on the ropes to make those a little bit of a different color, and a smidge of silver on a couple bits in the wood area that are metallic (like the pins in the wheels, or to pullies)

• Like 4

Playing around some more :) Did some inking and then mixed some GitD powder with some white paint and put some on the bones of the reaper figurehead. Also used some of the white on the dead pirate king that's going to be the centerpiece of the ship on the bones and the albatross

20210827_155011.jpg

20210827_155000.jpg

20210827_155103.jpg

20210827_155024.jpg

20210827_155152.jpg

• Like 14

It's been a while! Work and school have been taking up a lot of time. But, got my Ender 5 Pro working again, and got some glow in the dark filament. And, thanks to Dragon Trappers Lodge, I have some great looking ghostly sails for my ship! You'll note the lookout drinking again on the job in the crows nest 😄 and, just for fun, it glowing in the dark! Lots of work left to do on it, but man am I really digging working on it!20220131_194300.thumb.jpg.29803e6de4fc785a0108f28079967418.jpg

20220131_161539.jpg

20220131_161544.jpg

20220131_161608.jpg

• Like 13

Fantastic work!  I'm a little surprised to see so little Sophie-love on this forum.  I was hoping to get inspiration for mine by checking out others' work - but maybe it's just you and me, bojesphob?  I'm also tracking my work here - trying to magnetize the beast!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Pancakeonions said:

Fantastic work!  I'm a little surprised to see so little Sophie-love on this forum.  I was hoping to get inspiration for mine by checking out others' work - but maybe it's just you and me, bojesphob?  I'm also tracking my work here - trying to magnetize the beast!

I think it's a massive undertaking and a lot of people feel intimidated. All of my paints and minis are packed up for our move next month, so this is a backburner thing at the moment, but once the move is complete and my new painting space is freed up, I will absolutely be jumping back on this! 🙂

• Like 3