You during this pandemic

haberfront

I will tell you that I spent most of last year waiting to die. I work in an industry that CANNOT work from home, that is public facing, and deals with the homeless a fair amount. I had people tell me they had The Virus and try to spit on me. My experience is very, very different than most of yours. According to CDC data, my job was the 8th most lethal (I think I'm remembering that correctly) during all of this. Just glad I'm not a short-order cook. They were number one.

I spent the first three months just... Existing. After we got out stimulus checks, I told myself that I was going to get back into this hobby, as had been my plan for the year. So I sat down and put together a ton of minis. Dozens. I also bought more and put them together, too. I kept telling myself that I was going to get this stuff done before I died because, let's be frank, things were very bleak for me and most people I know. Things were really bad at the end of last year and the first month of this year. Only because the vaccines were getting pushed out, and the people I worry about the most, were able to get vaccinated did I come back to start painting all this stuff. I just needed a creative break (I did do a fair amount of writing last year as stress relief but didn't finish much, so no publishing for me right now) and painting these little metal, plastic, and resin people is helping me feel better as we swing back towards the edge. I feel like I have more control and don't feel as lonely when I focus on slapping paint on primer. Since I live alone, it's easier for me to sit down and just create than for those with kids and others in the house. I'm also trying to get as much painted as possible, so when this is all over, I'll be able to rope more people into the hobby and gaming. I've missed all of this and I'm glad to have it back.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I found the list that @CaptainPete mentioned (deadliest jobs for covid). It’s crazy to me that health care workers aren’t ranked on there at all, probably because of all the precautions that they take. Whereas cooks, etc, don’t really get any precautions. Just “wear a mask” and “wash your hands more”, if even that. 

• Like 7

12 hours ago, redambrosia said:

I found the list that @CaptainPete mentioned (deadliest jobs for covid). It’s crazy to me that health care workers aren’t ranked on there at all, probably because of all the precautions that they take. Whereas cooks, etc, don’t really get any precautions. Just “wear a mask” and “wash your hands more”, if even that. 

Short order cooks tend to be poorer, in larger/multi-family households, and probably have multiple other "essential workers" in the house as well. Those are also big factors.

I have to confess, when I see people complain about having to work from home, I have to walk away. I get it, it sucks to have to be home all the time, but some of us would literally kill to have the chance to do that.

If I ever win the lottery, I'm buying a house out in the middle of nowhere and just never leaving. Seeing the current "cure fad" running around has made me throw in the towel for a good amount of humanity... :zombie:

• Like 9

3 hours ago, CaptainPete said:

have to confess, when I see people complain about having to work from home, I have to walk away.

Yeah, I would love that. Hubby worked at Walmart in the height of the shutdown and toilet paper panic. It was horrible, the people are horrible, and the way Walmart treats their employees is horrible. 

The daycare I work at shut down for a couple months, but reopened for the kids of essential workers. Which at the time just meant kids of healthcare workers. And when we actually had covid in the building nothing happened. They barely quarantined the classes that were exposed. 

The whole world is nuts.

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

I haven't painted more during the pandemic and I feel bad about that. I was lucky in that I could work from home, but it was not a good situation with the partner. Still, we didn't have to be in Danger Zones.

I'm back to working on campus now; he gets more space here and I do better separated from my home space. It is nice to be back. I'm biking up the huge hill each day, and my legs may as well be beef jerky. Ouch.

My brain isn't really the same as it was in before-times. I don't think I'm the same. Perhaps some for the better, but certainly not all.

• Like 8

8 hours ago, Cyradis said:

I haven't painted more during the pandemic and I feel bad about that. I was lucky in that I could work from home, but it was not a good situation with the partner. Still, we didn't have to be in Danger Zones.

I'm back to working on campus now; he gets more space here and I do better separated from my home space. It is nice to be back. I'm biking up the huge hill each day, and my legs may as well be beef jerky. Ouch.

My brain isn't really the same as it was in before-times. I don't think I'm the same. Perhaps some for the better, but certainly not all.

I don't blame anyone for not painting during the pandemic. In part because we all react to stress differently. The other part is that it wasn't just the pandemic, there was A LOT going on in 2020, especially towards the end. Even if you started up strong when things got back, I think everyone suffered some kind of burn out from... *waves in general direction of the last two years*

• Like 6

Another (mild) lockdown in the Netherlands.

Working from home again, might be a few weeks at least.

The Government ( which we actually still don't have since the elections from last March they still haven't formed an official coalition due to big egos) is aiming for a 2G approach..

That means changing the law.

Only people who are either vaccinated or cured can then get a QR Code which gives access to festivities/restaurants etc....

Just testing will no longer be enough then.

Hoping for the best.

Waiting for the boosters, for me probably begin 2022.

Also hoping the medication will pass evaluation.

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Like 11

A $45 box of resistance bands, orange juice jugs, a door-frame pull-up bar, and the bicycle tided me off until I was comfortable going to the gym again. I was seeing a personal trainer before covid, and he helped me set up an at-home plan, then we did guided Zoom sessions. Once weather was good we did masked outdoor sessions on playgrounds with the bands. Once vaccinated, went back to the gym - and here everyone at the gym is required to be vaccinated.

The at-home set-up was rough, but the bands and pull-up bar were probable some of my best spent money ever, and it hardly takes up any space.

• Like 4