Edging cast shield designs

Rob Dean

So, I whacked myself skating a week ago Friday, and have been painting on my lunch break rather than exercising.  I’m doing some 1/72 plastic medieval figures for my “Portable Fantasy Campaign”.  In order to keep the work load down, I decided I would just paint the cast on shield designs.  I’ve been painting basic colors as neatly as possible, then washing with black to try to catch the edges, then going back over them with the same (or brighter versions of the same) colors I used before.  Given that I am doing this to save time and energy (versus carving them flat and freehanding something), is there a simpler, quicker way to do this?  

While I’m doing this with finicky little 1/72s, I would suppose the same techniques could be used on 28/30/32s as well.

9715F227-AAC6-4AED-A246-9F554D35DDD1.thumb.jpeg.228c99d0729cb72304db857e50d77c00.jpeg

8E00D1BA-CEE1-4E6F-8186-769A2D3E6450.thumb.jpeg.5c7005723e5732b368fea19894e92ee3.jpeg

• Like 2

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Rob Dean said:

painting basic colors as neatly as possible, then washing with black to try to catch the edges, then going back over them with the same (or brighter versions of the same) colors I used before

It looks like you are doing:  1-careful paint job, 2-washing, 3-paint job. The only thing I can think of would be to do 1-sloppy paint job 2- quick wash 3- careful lining with black or dark color to define blocks of colors (and color clean-up possibly). But not sure it would save much time - you would be trading careful painting with careful line work. But may be worth a try on one to see if it goes smoother/quicker.

• Like 1

You could outline the shield designs quite quickly by using a spirit-based oil pin-wash. The very low surface tension of the wash will mean that if you just dab your brush into the crease of the edge of the design, the wash will quickly wick around it by capillary action.

Alternately, you could just do a general oil-wash over the whole shield, and then, after the spirit has evaporated, clean it off the raised surfaces with a cloth or brush very slightly moistened with whatever thinner you're using.

Edited by MojoBob