Jump to content

Dragon size comparason to wizkids?


Zira
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hi! I was just wondering if there were any reaper dragon minis close in size to the young green wizkids dragon? or any other dragons of any types that's not wizkids that's similar in size? I'm wanting to run an encounter with two dragons of the same size and would prefer not to double up on minis, and would love to expand my dragon collection to other companies than wizkids.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tbh, the Reaper ones are scaled better to their bases. (The whole up-size base irks me a bit)

 

Size wise they are closer. Using a wizkids & a Reaper together shouldn't look odd on the table.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

First of all, welcome to the forum!   

 

The closest I could find was 77565 Kyphrixis, but he's not as close of a match as I thought that he would be. Still a lovely Huge dragon though.

 

IMG_20210901_121659135.thumb.jpg.50bb8c3fb7ea7f52db8279a6f635ea32.jpg

 

That said, if you want to expand your collection with some new dragons then imho you really can't go wrong with Reaper. Just remember to not use a primer on their plastic minis as they were designed to take paint straight out of the bottle. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Kuroneko said:

First of all, welcome to the forum!   

 

The closest I could find was 77565 Kyphrixis, but he's not as close of a match as I thought that he would be. Still a lovely Huge dragon though.

 

IMG_20210901_121659135.thumb.jpg.50bb8c3fb7ea7f52db8279a6f635ea32.jpg

 

That said, if you want to expand your collection with some new dragons then imho you really can't go wrong with Reaper. Just remember to not use a primer on their plastic minis as they were designed to take paint straight out of the bottle. 

Thank you very much!
I've been looking everywhere for an answer, this is fantastic, thank you again!

Yea! I got a bunch of Reaper stuff second hand and thankfully I haven't primed any yet, I wasn't sure if i was meant to but I've painted a few without primer and it seemed to work great. I wasn't aware they weren't meant to be primed though, thank you very much for that information!

14 hours ago, haldir said:

Tbh, the Reaper ones are scaled better to their bases. (The whole up-size base irks me a bit)

 

Size wise they are closer. Using a wizkids & a Reaper together shouldn't look odd on the table.

yeah, I'm not a fan of their5 up sizing but i do love the minis, they're all beautiful haha.

are there any in particular you know of that are close in size? I keep seeing the Shadow dragon but I'm not too sure if it's too small.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Zira said:

Thank you very much!
I've been looking everywhere for an answer, this is fantastic, thank you again!

Yea! I got a bunch of Reaper stuff second hand and thankfully I haven't primed any yet, I wasn't sure if i was meant to but I've painted a few without primer and it seemed to work great. I wasn't aware they weren't meant to be primed though, thank you very much for that information!

yeah, I'm not a fan of their5 up sizing but i do love the minis, they're all beautiful haha.

are there any in particular you know of that are close in size? I keep seeing the Shadow dragon but I'm not too sure if it's too small.

 

Here's a quick shot of my partially assembled Shadow dragon next to the WizKids Green Dragon. His base(not pictured, sorry!) is 3" across so he's a decent sized Huge sized monster.

 

IMG_20210902_114856847_HDR.thumb.jpg.cf9ef90674ea7dd51c5c920f470f503f.jpg

 

Here's a link for info on the Bone line 

 

https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/48667-bones-frequently-asked-questions-unofficial/

 

Also if you have any questions regarding painting, Anne Foerster(who created Reapers paint line) usually does a painting stream in the morning on Reapers Twitch stream. It's on a mini hiatus at the moment due to Reapercon but should restart in the middle of next week. She's happy to answer any questions about painting and the people in the chat are nice and friendly too. 

 

Also Lowly is right about the liner, I use 0964 Brown Liner and 9066 Blue Liner as a base coat on most of my Bones minis these days.

Edited by Kuroneko
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This doesn’t directly answer your question, as the Bones 5 dragons are all larger than what you are looking for in this instance, but this post on the Reaper Facebook elicited a lot of comparison shots between Reaper and WizKids/D&D dragon mini’s. 
 

https://m.facebook.com/groups/40821538884/permalink/10159867607928885/?ref=m_notif&notif_t=group_comment_mention

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Kuroneko said:

 

Here's a quick shot of my partially assembled Shadow dragon next to the WizKids Green Dragon. His base(not pictured, sorry!) is 3" across so he's a decent sized Huge sized monster.

 

IMG_20210902_114856847_HDR.thumb.jpg.cf9ef90674ea7dd51c5c920f470f503f.jpg

 

Here's a link for info on the Bone line 

 

https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/48667-bones-frequently-asked-questions-unofficial/

 

Also if you have any questions regarding painting, Anne Foerster(who created Reapers paint line) usually does a painting stream in the morning on Reapers Twitch stream. It's on a mini hiatus at the moment due to Reapercon but should restart in the middle of next week. She's happy to answer any questions about painting and the people in the chat are nice and friendly too. 

 

Also Lowly is right about the liner, I use 0964 Brown Liner and 9066 Blue Liner as a base coat on most of my Bones minis these days.

oh sweet! this is really helpful, thank you so much! also i love your painting! you do beautiful work!!

17 hours ago, ksbsnowowl said:

This doesn’t directly answer your question, as the Bones 5 dragons are all larger than what you are looking for in this instance, but this post on the Reaper Facebook elicited a lot of comparison shots between Reaper and WizKids/D&D dragon mini’s. 
 

https://m.facebook.com/groups/40821538884/permalink/10159867607928885/?ref=m_notif&notif_t=group_comment_mention

This is great thank you!

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Similar Content

    • By Iridil
      This is such a beautiful sculpt! I spent a lot of time just looking at it, thinking. I did not really achieve my vision, but done is done. This small dragon is applealing enough I may do another some day when I have more time to devote and hopefully more skill. Trying for a tropical look, stated with parrot colors, but that didn't work - and this was where I landed! 





    • By monoRAIL
      Painted with acrylics and oil paints.
      Work-in-progress photos and videos on my instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cokane/






    • By Samedi
      I love doing WIPs. And I've got a lot projects I should finish 😊. And since there is still no progress with Barros and Tempest (this time because I'm still waiting for a new base to be shipped), why not start something new?
       
      I've yet to paint my first dragon, so I'll use this opportunity to do it. I confess, I'm cheating a bit here, since I'm going to paint the white dragon by Dark Sword Minis - that's a very small dragon. But still, he's got wings and teeth and claws and scales, so definitely a dragon, yessir!
       
      I absolutely love this mini. I bought it many years ago, but the horns went missing. Fortunately, when I ordered some more minis from Dark Sword a while ago, I was able to order some spare horns, so now I'm good to go.
       
      Here he is, assembled and prepped:

       
      Now I have to decide on a paint scheme, which I can't bring myself to do. There are three ideas I have at the moment:
       
      paint him up as an ice dragon. I'm thinking white with pinkish/greenish undertones and a base made with transparent crackle paint. There was a very cool version of an Ice Dragon a while ago on this forum, but I can't seem to find it any more.  paint him up as a star dragon using the technique I learned at RVE in Kevin Holderny's class. I used it on a coat so far, maybe it looks very cool on the dragon's wings. paint him up as a real world snake. Now there are so many possibilities...  
      Decisions, decisions...
       
       
       

       
      Some more work on the base.
    • By kazmania7
      I wish I would of got him in metal, but he was free and didn't want to see him go to waste.
       
       




    • By Kuroneko
      Well, it's been a while since my last WIP project so here's what happens when you browse the Reaper Discord late at night and think "Hey! That's a FANTASTIC idea!". The Discord is home to the Reaper Challenge League and it has many, many categories. My favorite is the seasonal/holiday one. Simply put, you pick a holiday or event(ie.Christmas/St Patrick's day/The Coopers Hill Cheese Race etc) and paint a mini to match the theme.
       
      As many of you are aware, October is Breast Cancer Awareness month and the signature colour for that is pink. A few people were talking about doing pink minis for the challenge and I figured that I've already done a multicolored dragon, so how hard can it be?
       
      This, my friends, is what this work in progress thread is about to attempt. Abandon all sanity and colour sense, all ye who continue to read here, because things are about to get fabulous!
       
      First of all, the choice of dragon needed to be considered. Too small and you don't get the impact, too large and you're painting the beast all year. I needed a nice, mid sized dragon and I happened to have a spare of this bad boy. 
       

       
      I've always loved Narthrax. His angry face, the unusual tilted pose and the awesome scale placement are just fantastic. He's truly one of my favorite dragons and I've been looking for an excuse to paint him something different from the standard chromatic or metallic dragons for quite a while now. Most of the my painting is for tabletop gaming purposes so it's nice to shift gear once in a while. 
       
      So first things first, I gave him a nice soapy bath to prepare him for painting. Sorry, no photos of that- a dragon has to retain some dignity! Here's the 'after' shot!
       

       
      I glued on the leg and tail and left the head and wings separate, mostly for ease of painting. Then I gave home a good, slightly thinned coat of Blue Liner 9066. This provides a nice, even base coat and helps prevent the paint rubbing off further down the road.
       

       
      And thus the madness begins! This is where I started giving every single scale a layer of Rich Indigo, making sure that there's still a good amount of the dark liner in the shadows. 
       

       
      At this point I realized that a test area was probably a good idea, so I started playing around with highlight colours, finally deciding on Witchcraft Purple 07977 and, appropriately enough, BCA Pink which Reaper are kind enough to put into online orders in October. I'm still trying to figure out exactly how bright to go but at least it doesn't look entirely hideous! Admittedly, your milage may vary on this one. Heck, I might hate pink by the end of this endeavor, you never know.
       

       
      Lots of blocking in the purple and pink, with an attempt on the belly scales. Not entirely sure about that, might need to see how bright the upper scales go.
       

       
      More blocking in of the scales and a bit of work on the wings, using Rich Indigo and Desna Blue.
       

       

       
      Then the Witchcraft Purple starts getting layered on in earnest. This is the point where I start to second guess myself. He's starting to look like a particularly dangerous fuschia....
       

       
      That's pretty much where the mini is now, hopefully I haven't bored you all too much or damaged your retinas. I'm hoping to get some more work done tomorrow so I'll keep posting as often as I can. I think that this is one of those projects that needs attention little and often.
       
      Thanks for looking everybody!
       
  • Who's Online   7 Members, 0 Anonymous, 15 Guests (See full list)

×
×
  • Create New...