Getting To Know You, September

On 9/8/2021 at 5:47 AM, Crowley said:

Question for Wednesday September 8th:

Today is Star Trek day! I've been a fan for basically my whole life, and my love has never wained for it, in spite of some questionable choices/episodes.

What's something from your childhood that you still love?

Figure painting 🙂

DnD 

Sci-Fi Novels

Bach

Chocolate!

On 9/9/2021 at 7:39 AM, Crowley said:

Question for September 9th:

What was the worst physical injury you've suffered?

Does childbirth count?

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Crowley said:

Question for Sept 16:

What is the most memorable way you've introduced yourself/been introduced/introduced someone else?

I was once introduced by a former intern to her fiancee as "That guy I'm always talking about." The resulting silence and the look on that guy's face were uncomfortable enough to make it stick in the memory.

I once invited an old friend to a party at our place where he didn't know anyone. So I told everyone else at the party that he was actually my bookie and that I invited him because I'm super in debt to him, but he's lonely and agreed not to break my legs if I could introduce him to some people. Most people, knowing my sense of humor, just rolled their eyes at me. But a couple of folks bought it and we played it up for several uncomfortable hours before letting them in on the joke. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 10
2 hours ago, Crowley said:

Question for Sept 16:

What is the most memorable way you've introduced yourself/been introduced/introduced someone else?

Once a young guy came to meet our niece's family. I knew it wasn't going to go anywhere when she introduced me as her Uncle that gave her that knife she carried and taught her how to defend herself with it!

• Like 11
  • Haha 1

Question for Sept 16:

Can't say as I recall any memorable intro. The first time people see me in my pirate/medieval/steampunk garb is usually memorable.

• Like 9
23 hours ago, Crowley said:

Late question for September 15

What's got you distracted today?

Yesterday it was prolly pain … coming from multiple locations. Later, I tried distracting myself by watching David Petersen draw an Oriole-mounted Mouse Guard knight. 

19 hours ago, Kuroneko said:

IMG_20210915_181711472.thumb.jpg.7753ca5dff98a126a2df9fe3cfd777bb.jpg

I just wanted to reach into that photo and scritch her little ears, rub all the spots under her chin, and tell her what purrrrfect cat she is!

Question for Sept 16:

It was probably that time Savannah the Palomino horse introduced me. She got a big laugh!

Me, I ain’t never gotten a laugh operating solo. 

• Like 8
3 hours ago, Crowley said:

Question for Sept 16:

At conventions I usually run a Wild West Roleplaying Game.  Lately I have introduced myself to the group wearing a period shirt, Vest and Stetson Hat.  That is probably the most memorable.

• Like 8

Question for Sept 16:

Back when I was a teenager, Mom always introduced me as "the baby of the family".  I was 6'2", 200+, with 3+ feet of hair and mostly like a metal t-shirt on.

• Like 9

Question for Sept 16:

I went to meet my brother at his workplace once for lunch years ago, and upon introduction, his shift-leader said, "I understand you're a man who knows what to do."  A fairly ambiguous statement, and at the moment I didn't know how to respond until my brother pointed out my black eye from a recent tournament, then I got it.

• Like 9

Question for Sept 16:

This question has made me sad. I've been thinking about this for hours now, and I can't remember any interesting or memorable introductions. ::(:

Best I've got is the story about how Michael Jordan and his family were at the family fun park I worked at in the mid 90s.  We were ll instructed to leave them alone, and treat them as a normal guest.  I was doing my job underneath the Skee Ball machines fixing one of them, and didn't realize that he and his family were standing right there when I crawled out from under them to go get a part I needed. 

To this day I wonder if he thinks I was some fan trying to get a brush with stardom or something.   If I had realized they were standing there, I just would have taken a nap until they were gone. 

• Like 9
9 hours ago, Crowley said:

Question for Sept 16:

Set myself on fire.

I was at a party with a couple friends and a whole bunch of people I didn't know and was bored, so I decided to liven things up a little. I liberally doused the black leather motorcycle jacket I was wearing with alcohol, used my Zippo to ignite myself, and calmly walked around the corner with flames licking up the arms of my jacket.

Instant icebreaker.::D:

• Like 2
  • Haha 8
8 hours ago, Iridil said:

Does childbirth count?

Hell yeah! I’m going with this. The first time I “met” my daughter, just after they’d removed her from me. She looked pissed! Not happy to be out of the womb at all! I’ll never forget the look on her face. ❤️

• Like 10
10 hours ago, Crowley said:

Question for Sept 16:

I think last night might be my most memorable introduction of myself. I was painting after getting the boy down, and I heard the new downstairs neighbors out on the patio having a dinner party. No biggie. A little bit later the tone of the chatter changed, and something caught my ear. Someone was doing a voice. I stepped out onto my balcony and looked down. The food was all put away, and everyone had their screens out. I couldn't make out most of what was being said, but then...

"Make a sleight of hands check" followed by the clatter of dice.

They were playing D&D!

I went inside, and dithered a moment about how to get their attention. I grabbed a d20 and went back out on the balcony. When there was a lull, I said "Hi neighbors" and tossed the d20 down toward them.

Down 3 stories toward them.

"What the.... Did he just toss a dice down?"

"Yeah, and it's a nat 20!"  (I swear to all the gods I'm not making this up)

"Hey, you play D&D?!?"

"Yeah I do!" I replied.

"Can he join us? Do you want to come play?"

Obviously, I could, and did. And that's how I met my new neighbors and their friends last night.

The view from the 5th floor Right before I tossed the d20.

received_418184926317739.thumb.jpeg.138209e7921f0bec98d893c9d7655ee9.jpeg

And a few minutes later at the table!

received_370274144706106.jpeg.45be22f89db8d50d0beccb18dfcc2dc0.jpeg

Edited by Crowley
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

I think last night might be my most memorable introduction of myself. I was painting after getting the boy down, and I heard the new downstairs neighbors out on the patio having a dinner party. No biggie. A little bit later the tone of the chatter changed, and something caught my ear. Someone was doing a voice. I stepped out onto my balcony and looked down. The food was all put away, and everyone had their screens out. I couldn't make out most of what was being said, but then...

"Make a sleight of hands check" followed by the clatter of dice.

They were playing D&D!

I went inside, and dithered a moment about how to get their attention. I grabbed a d20 and went back out on the balcony. When there was a lull, I said "Hi neighbors" and tossed the d20 down toward them.

Down 3 stories toward them.

"What the.... Did he just toss a dice down?"

"Yeah, and it's a nat 20!"  (I swear to all the gods I'm not making this up)

"Hey, you play D&D?!?"

"Yeah I do!" I replied.

"Can he join us? Do you want to come play?"

Obviously, I could, and did. And that's how I met my new neighbors and their friends last night.

The view from the 5th floor Right before I tossed the d20.

received_418184926317739.thumb.jpeg.138209e7921f0bec98d893c9d7655ee9.jpeg

And a few minutes later at the table!

received_370274144706106.jpeg.45be22f89db8d50d0beccb18dfcc2dc0.jpeg

And that's how a Legend was made. :blues:

• Like 8
  • Haha 2