Getting To Know You, September

4 hours ago, Crowley said:

Question for September 17th

What's your favorite space ship?

Probably the Dragons being launched these days.

From scifi, I guess maybe the Clear Air Turbulence. Originally an album cover for Ian Gillan, then written into the Culture. Not that it's an amazing design, but it's a cool album and book series; and the design reminds me of my favorite book of spaceships from when I was young (Terran Trade Authority).

clear-air-turbulence.jpg

• Like 8
  • Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

there ae lots of good ones - im going to pick the ships I would most like to be on.

Rocinante -small crew,  interesting people, stays mostly intact, frequently at the center of events. good at bringing civilians up to useful crew members. 

Tardis -  I would overdose quickly but a short period as a companion would be mind- blowing.  - less about the journey more about the destination. 

Enterprise - TNG -   i dont remember the full numbers.  More Danger, but otherwise  like a floating pleasure cruise, where your on staff. 

The Streaker - pros - piloted poetic Dolphins,  Cons- on the run from the universe, high attrition of crew and function. 

Edited by Evilhalfling
  • Like 9

6 hours ago, Evilhalfling said:

The Streaker - pros - piloted poetic Dolphins,  Cons- on the run from the universe, high attrition of crew and function. 

As I recall, the human crew has to spend most of the time breathing oxygenated water as well, which seems like it would be tiring on the diaphragm muscles.

• Like 7
13 hours ago, Crowley said:

Well, there's the Andromeda...  Red Dwarf ain't bad either, neither is the one who's name I can't remember from MST3K... 

But I'm going to go with the Heart of Gold from Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy, because it can literally make you get space sick and throw up YARN.

• Like 9
On 9/16/2021 at 3:16 PM, Crowley said:

Question for Sept 16:

What is the most memorable way you've introduced yourself/been introduced/introduced someone else?

"This is Kuroneko. She's really good at catching swans" - from one of my colleagues who had been on a wildlife handling training course with me.  

On 9/16/2021 at 6:15 PM, TGP said:

I just wanted to reach into that photo and scritch her little ears, rub all the spots under her chin, and tell her what purrrrfect cat she is!

She would definitely agree with you! She's back to normal now. Here she is looking neat and tidy after getting a good brushing (I swear that she's 70% flood!)

IMG_20210917_131150290.thumb.jpg.59480941c98972223f086ede3f514edd.jpg

On 9/17/2021 at 1:49 AM, Crowley said:

I think last night might be my most memorable introduction of myself. I was painting after getting the boy down, and I heard the new downstairs neighbors out on the patio having a dinner party. No biggie. A little bit later the tone of the chatter changed, and something caught my ear. Someone was doing a voice. I stepped out onto my balcony and looked down. The food was all put away, and everyone had their screens out. I couldn't make out most of what was being said, but then...

"Make a sleight of hands check" followed by the clatter of dice.

They were playing D&D!

I went inside, and dithered a moment about how to get their attention. I grabbed a d20 and went back out on the balcony. When there was a lull, I said "Hi neighbors" and tossed the d20 down toward them.

Down 3 stories toward them.

"What the.... Did he just toss a dice down?"

"Yeah, and it's a nat 20!"  (I swear to all the gods I'm not making this up)

"Hey, you play D&D?!?"

"Yeah I do!" I replied.

"Can he join us? Do you want to come play?"

Obviously, I could, and did. And that's how I met my new neighbors and their friends last night.

The view from the 5th floor Right before I tossed the d20.

received_418184926317739.thumb.jpeg.138209e7921f0bec98d893c9d7655ee9.jpeg

And a few minutes later at the table!

received_370274144706106.jpeg.45be22f89db8d50d0beccb18dfcc2dc0.jpeg

"Roll CHA to ingratiate yourself into the social group" ::D:

20 hours ago, Crowley said:

Any of these 4, possibly with the X-wing slightly edging it.

unnamed.jpg.b86a43bc770bae023153dde6642dca94.jpg

x-wing-wal-hor-20.jpg.000fb8cc35d5d7db3a9011e91a4bbd9c.jpg

• Like 13
29 minutes ago, Crowley said:

Weekend Quest

Share something you're enjoying this weekend, and why it makes you happy.

In a few hours we’re going to be going to the pumpkin patch to pick out some pumpkins for carving. There’s just something about pumpkins that makes me really happy. I just love them. And I love that my baby loves them.

• Like 12