Getting To Know You, September

Crowley

1 hour ago, Crowley said:

Question for Tuesday Sept 21

Today is the last day of summer. When you think of the season, what is the essence of what summer means to you?

Sweating and doing outdoor house maintenance. And fresh local vegetables.

58 minutes ago, WhiteWulfe said:

I suspect many will say beaches, or other such things... 

I was going to say bikini season... though I've yet to ever wear one.

• Like 5
  • Haha 6

• Replies 549
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Today is the last day of summer. When you think of the season, what is the essence of what summer means to you?

The smell of water from a sun warmed hose. The feel of the still air like a hot wet blanket. Hotdogs and hamburgers on the grill. Fireflies in the twilight.

• Like 12

On 9/18/2021 at 10:55 AM, Crowley said:

Weekend Quest

Share something you're enjoying this weekend, and why it makes you happy.

Saturday in Turn 7.
20210921_IMG_2258.thumb.jpg.8416948c62b30579f00a8b4bf720f2ba.jpg

Looking up stream, you can see the stands for 6, 5 and that corner in the distance is 4.

And Sunday in Turn 9.
20210921_IMG_2262.thumb.jpg.573b0247b95478db205daaa0219908ec.jpg

You can see the stand for Turn 7, where I was the day before.

I greatly enjoy Marshaling, but it is a strange "hobby", often hard to explain to others why we like.  
Most folks who come either come once or twice and then disappear, or they are hooked for life.
Why I like it?  I like helping out.  Without marshals, they can't race.  I like being out in the sun (or whatever) all day.  I like being in the know on what is happening.
I like being close to the action.  And I like helping when things go pear shaped. Sunday was one of those days.  I had two separate miatas end up in  the gravel trap in 9, and one of them tried again during the one hour, but managed to keep his back wheels out of the gravel so was  able to get out on his own.  Had a civic with fuel issues "almost" make it to the pit lane, but ended up parked in 10..  And had a CRX blow a hole in his motor who ended up in 8.
Also, apparently it's good exercise, as my fitbit says I burned over 6000 calories.  No wonder I'm still tired.

On 9/20/2021 at 9:26 AM, Crowley said:

Question for Monday (ugh) September 20th

What is a question you will always answer "Yes!" to?

Bonus Question: Did you engage in any piratical activities yesterday?

"Can I get you more diet cola?"

I did not partake in any piratical activities to my knowledge....

It is too freaking hot....but it has racing.

• Like 11

Heat, humidity, chores.

There's never enough time to get the chores done between spring and autumn, and I'm prone to heat exhaustion. One reason I loved the Modesitt book Fall of Angels. The 'angels' come largely from a planet that is much colder than the one the Saga of Recluse is set in, and can't function well outside of their mountain home. I feel that. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/185224.Fall_of_Angels

Winter means cozy woodstoves and maybe 15-45 minutes of snowblowing a week, with many weeks requiring almost no outdoor chores. Also, the hordes of folks prowling the streets in scanty, ill-fitting clothing all summer are indoors. Heaven.

• Like 11

On 9/20/2021 at 1:26 PM, Crowley said:

"Would you like chips with that?" 

I did watch Sunday's episode of One Piece through "unofficial" means if that counts.

Getting unnecessarily hot and sweaty plus the horror of mowing the lawn.

• Like 11

2 hours ago, Crowley said:

Blinding sun, oppressive humidity, and stinging, biting insects. 

It went from 88F to 58F last night. Today is going to be beautiful. 

• Like 11

2 hours ago, Crowley said:

Sun, Sea, BBQ, long walks with Brutus, Hiking with my girl, flowers, birds and butterflies in the garden, scantily clad women in the streets, beaches, icecream, daylight till the evening, not having to wear a jacket or sweater outside.

I love Spring/Summer not looking forward to the rainy/cold/ dark days.

• Like 11

4 hours ago, Crowley said:

Hot weather, ice cream place opens, ticks, people out doing activities, mosquitoes, haying season, grasshoppers, harvest. Pretty typical over here (minus the tentworm caterpillars this year).

• Like 11

On 9/17/2021 at 10:17 AM, Crowley said:

Question for September 17th

What's your favorite space ship?

Depends on what I'm reading or watching at any given time. Right now it would be the Rocinante from the Expanse series or any of the big ships in Neal Asher's Polity series. I really like any space ship though, real or fictional.

On 9/18/2021 at 9:55 AM, Crowley said:

Weekend Quest

Share something you're enjoying this weekend, and why it makes you happy.

Today is actually the last day of a long, five day weekend. One of my oldest friends came over and stayed for a few nights. We drank beer, played some games, did some shopping, and last night we went and saw a Primus concert where they played the entire Rush Album "A Farewell to Kings." It was nice to hang out with a friend and forget about the real world for a few days.

I also noticed something at a local market I hadn't noticed before but had to try out because I'd seen them mentioned around here so often. Which was just kind of fun...

IMG_20210920_115933600_HDR.thumb.jpg.26914a0f2aa79535eb79f35e5da428de.jpg

On 9/20/2021 at 8:26 AM, Crowley said:

Typically I'll say yes to the offer of a donut.

Bonus: I said "yarr" at some point.

6 hours ago, Crowley said:

Hot weather, cool bugs, lots of good, green, growing stuff. Getting outdoors as often as possible and a good beer after being in the heat. As mentioned above, it's the last day of a little bit of vacation so I got up this morning and brewed a hot pepper and peach beer with habaneros from my garden. Should be a taste of summer to drink when fall weather gets here in a few weeks. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Crowley said:

Hot.

Long, lazy days (on the weekend at least). Cooking on the grill.

• Like 9

17 hours ago, Crowley said:

Question for Tuesday Sept 21: Today is the last day of summer.

Let there be much rejoicing. 

When you think of the season, what is the essence of what summer means to you?

It means 100 degree days. But weirdly this last summer was mild and there were only 8 such days. 

18-20 such days is normal. 

Edited by TGP
#Fahrenheit forever
  • Like 9

13 hours ago, Crowley said:

It used to mean freedom and fun. Now it just means uncomfortably hot. And it’s always meant sunburns.

• Like 7
  • Sad 5