• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

24 minutes ago, Crowley said:

Question for September 24th

What's your favorite rock? And why?

Specifically or just like, in general? I'll answer both ways...

Specifically it's one of these two I picked up over the years. The one on the left is from Lake Superior up in Wisconsin and I just like the way it looks. And the one on the right is what I believe is raw garnet (but don't take my word for that, not a geologist) and I think I found it on a trip to the Rockies - but I could be misremembering that. I like that it just looks like a regular old rock with twelve sides.

IMG_20210924_084642349_HDR.thumb.jpg.325c78bc06e935f0352ad99a3f2c485e.jpg

If we're talking in general then it's probably fossiliferous limestone. You can use it as bedrock slabs in some limited stream restoration where it is erodible enough to keep the stream shape dynamic but not so erodible that you get headcutting or excessive erosion/sedimentation of the stream channel. Also, its got lots of cool ancient critters embedded in it. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Crowley said:

Dunno about favorite, but I've always liked lapis lazuli.  The color is very pleasing, and the name has an evocative and fantastical quality to me.

• Like 11
3 hours ago, Crowley said:

No favorite Rock, I listen to Folk music. (Even though I live in the area that invented Rock and has the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame)

Oh you mean the hard stones?  Probably slate.  I love the hallway floor that is black slate.

• Like 11
4 hours ago, Crowley said:

1 hour ago, ttuckerman said:

No favorite Rock, I listen to Folk music. (Even though I live in the area that invented Rock and has the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame)

Ninja'd by ttuckerman! (But I'd have said Punk rock.)

Diamonds are stones, right? Count me in for a few of those please.

• Like 8
  • Haha 2
10 hours ago, Crowley said:

I've also never really thought about it, so I guess that means I don't have one.

• Like 8
On 9/23/2021 at 7:01 AM, Crowley said:

Question for September 23rd

What's something you've been putting off doing? What will finally push you to get it done?

Apparently, answering questions.  Then again, yesterday was an 11 hour shift, so, uh... Yeah.  Was rather tired when I got home, to say the least. 

As for things I've deliberately put off?  Ah unno, laundry isn't exactly fun to do, since I have to travel six blocks to do it, as the building ones definitely so not clean your stuff... 

11 hours ago, Crowley said:

Bloodstone.  Lots of lovely greens and reds. 

As for jn my collection?  It's one of those internal ones with the crystals, is somewhat purple if I remember, and it's in the shape of a piano.  I haven't seen it in ages, so I hope my parents didn't throw it out on me. 

• Like 10