Getting To Know You, September

12 hours ago, Crowley said:

Question for September 24th

What's your favorite rock? And why?

The Blarney Stone, proves that the Irish are the most passionate people around. I mean, who else lines up to kiss a rock?

• Like 11
  • Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Corsair said:

The Blarney Stone, proves that the Irish are the most passionate people around. I mean, who else lines up to kiss a rock?

Tourists, mostly. :) 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5
14 hours ago, Crowley said:

The green river formation Knightia I prepped (fish fossil). The skull of Sue would be next I think. Why? Fossils are awesome... duh. 

• Like 11
11 hours ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

It's hard to choose, there's a lot of them in my head.

Might need @Cyradis to identify them all.

I'm a mineralogist, not a petrologist. I'll need to get my labmate in on the rock action.

But I think you'd probably like blueschist, gabbro, and eclogites Pez. Especially eclogites. They're "christmas rocks" because they're all green and red.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
16 hours ago, Crowley said:

After working in gold mines, zinc mines, nickel mines (with plenty of secondary metals), I found I have a liking to various sulfides. Aka mineral ores like pyrite (iron), chalcopyrite (copper), pentlandite (nickel). The way they reflect light under the right angle is pretty.

A good chunk of quartz is also nice to look at.

• Like 10
16 hours ago, Crowley said:

Well, If I absolutely MUST pick a single favorite, I guess I’ll go wit fluorite crystal. Its colors are very pleasing to me and I like the way light can shine through it.

Other favorites include, but are not limited to:

Malachite

Amethyst

Lapis Lazuli

Emeralds (specifically the ones my hubby has given me)

Selenite

Star Sapphires

Because I like rocks.

• Like 10
1 hour ago, Cranky Dog said:

After working in gold mines, zinc mines, nickel mines (with plenty of secondary metals), I found I have a liking to various sulfides. Aka mineral ores like pyrite (iron), chalcopyrite (copper), pentlandite (nickel). The way they reflect light under the right angle is pretty.

A good chunk of quartz is also nice to look at.

50 minutes ago, redambrosia said:

Well, If I absolutely MUST pick a single favorite, I guess I’ll go wit fluorite crystal. Its colors are very pleasing to me and I like the way light can shine through it.

Other favorites include, but are not limited to:

Malachite

Amethyst

Lapis Lazuli

Emeralds (specifically the ones my hubby has given me)

Selenite

Star Sapphires

Because I like rocks.

These are almost all minerals. Not rocks. Lapis lazuli is arguably a rock since it tends to be hauyne mineral with calcite and pyrite. The calcite gives the white splotches, the pyrite gives it the wee sparkles.

14 hours ago, ttuckerman said:

No favorite Rock, I listen to Folk music. (Even though I live in the area that invented Rock and has the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame)

Oh you mean the hard stones?  Probably slate.  I love the hallway floor that is black slate.

.... bah. Sedimenty/weaksauce metamorphics. >.> But this is just my prejudice against boring sediments showing. At least the weathered clay crud I found on field work happened to be HOT PINK. In the chem lab for identification right now.

I'm going to need to pull up that Breaking Bad meme about minerals vs. rocks, aren't I?

PS: Blame Pezler for summoning the geologist-mineralogist.

:poke:

• Like 8
  • Haha 2
23 hours ago, Crowley said:

Amethyst.  Purple quartz crystals…what’s not to like?

6 hours ago, Cyradis said:

I'm going to need to pull up that Breaking Bad meme about minerals vs. rocks, aren't I?

If you would; I’m not a geology-adept…

• Like 11
On 9/24/2021 at 7:30 AM, Crowley said:

What's your favorite rock?

Onyx

And why?

Because it exists in lots of colors. And they used to make chessmen out of it. 

~~~~~~~~~~~

Basalt

And why?

Because it is a really dark gray and it imparts a nice texture to XPS foam for terrain making purposes. 

Some days it is Pink Floyd and other days it is Alan Parsons Project.  

And why?

I like long instrumentals. 

Edited by TGP
  • Like 12

Weekend Quest!

What was the first miniature to really grab your attention. The one that made you fall in love with the hobby. Did you ever actually buy and paint it? Do you still have it? Do you still love it?

• Like 7
7 minutes ago, Crowley said:

Weekend Quest!

What was the first miniature to really grab your attention. The one that made you fall in love with the hobby. Did you ever actually buy and paint it? Do you still have it? Do you still love it?

It didn't exactly work that way for me. My dad had an HO scale train layout when I was a kid; that started my love for all things miniature. I used to use my Lincoln Logs and Legos to make elaborate cities and forts for my toy soldiers and Star Wars figures. When I played with 'em outside, I built trenches and bunkers to rival the ones from WW1. When I eventually got into D&D, the place where we got the red box also sold lead miniatures, so naturally, I had to have them.

The first miniatures I ever got was the Grenadier boxed set  Orcs of the Severed Hand

Yes, I sill have them.

Yes, I still love them.

Yes, some of them are painted. I may need to go dig them out of the lead mountain and finish them off.

• Like 10
45 minutes ago, Crowley said:

Weekend Quest!

My memory is not that long.  All my early minis were stolen out of the trunk of my car in the 80's along with my RPG books.

• Like 1
  • Sad 12
43 minutes ago, Crowley said:

Weekend Quest!

Technically it's this little guy (1979).  But I already loved the hobby and never painted it.

sp005.png

If we're going with 25-28mm metal minis, there never was one model above others. I got introduced to them during an early 90s D&D game, and they were probably Ral Partha, Grenadier or RAFM. One of the players was already a pretty amazing painter considering what techniques were known back then, so he did leave an impression on me.

• Like 12
1 hour ago, Crowley said:

Weekend Quest!

A Ral Partha Battletech Shadow Hawk, and yup, painted it and still have it.

• Like 11